[CLOSED] LordM & Friends Coin Giveaway, June, 2019

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM & Friends Coin Giveaway, June, 2019

Deadline for entries: Midnight Eastern US time, Sunday, June 30, 2019.

Contest now CLOSED. Winners announced in Post #181.

Giveaway banner June 2019.png

Hi, everybody, and welcome to the latest monthly giveaway!

If this is your first time entering one of these contests, I apologize for making you slog through all the text below. It's really not as bad as it looks. Just look at some of the entry posts other folks have made, if you're confused.

This month there are five prize lots given by three donors.

In other words, there will be five drawings and each contestant will have five chances to win something!

My fine donor partners this month are:

@spirityoda (again!)
    @SchwaVB57

So many thanks to them for their generosity!

To enter:

1. Please include the words "entry post" in your initial post to this thread - and only your first post. You may reply to this thread as many times as you like, but if you put the phrase "entry post" into more than one reply, you will disqualify yourself.

2. In addition to the words "entry post", post something else that is coin-related in some way- whatever you like. This can be a question, observation, coin picture, story, or even a joke- as long as it is coin-related somehow.

Also - just for this month- please tell us what your first or favorite gold coin is/was- OR, if you have never owned a gold coin before, say so. (The reason for this will become apparent when you see the prizes below.)

3. To expedite the prize allotments at the end of the month, please specify your prize choices, in order of preference. (List your first favorite choice, second favorite, third favorite, etc., in order.) The first winner drawn will get his or her first pick, and then the next winner will get his or her first pick from the remaining prizes, and so on.

The fine print:

• There are no strings attached- no shipping charges or anything. I wouldn't even be offended if you chose to sell your prizes later, though obviously it's more fun when folks enjoy the prizes enough to want to keep them.
    • If your lucky number (the permalink number of your entry post) comes up in the drawing at the end of the month, you've won a prize. Drawings are done with the random.org True Random Number Generator.
    • To see how this works and has played out before, look at some of the past monthly giveaways. (I've put an archive of those in Post #3.)
    • I will gladly ship prizes outside the USA (or reimburse donor partners for doing so), but if international shipping proves too costly, I do reserve the right to substitute prizes (such as with an electronic PayPal gift, etc).
    • If you are a minor, we're delighted to have you play, but please make sure you have your parents' permission to enter this giveaway, since if you win, we will be required to ask for your mailing address.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

See Post #2 below for the list of prizes! :)

[​IMG]

arturo lozano jr. and Wal888 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Prize #1, from @lordmarcovan:
    South India (Nangapattinam, Tanjore, Dutch period): gold fanam, early issue, ca. 1658-1784.
    (*This first gold fanam is smaller than the second one below, but thick and chunky, relative to its diameter.)
    [​IMG]

Prize #2, from @lordmarcovan:
    South India (Dutch Kingdom of Cochin): gold fanam, ca. 1663-1724.
    (*This one has nice yellow gold and a slightly convex flan. I believe the design is some kind of stylized beastie, but I know not what. I'm relying on the prior seller's attribution, here.)
    [​IMG]

Prize #3, from @lordmarcovan:
    One item of your choice from my "Pick Bin & Giveaway Goodies" page.
    (Give that link a few moments to load.)

(*The contents of that list are subject to change and I might add some things throughout the month. So if you prefer, you can pick your favorite version of Prize #3 at the end of the month.)

[​IMG]

Prize #4, from @spirityoda:
    Singapore: silver 10 cents, 1983-SM, NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo (15,000 minted).
    (*Silver. Low mintage. Ultra Cameo proof. NGC certified and top of the population- tied with 8 other pieces for the finest graded. Great seahorse design. What more is there to say?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prize #5, from @SchwaVB57:
    US coin & currency lot: An 11-piece Westward Journey nickel set (many
    gold-plated and/or colorized), in presentation case, & a Series 2013 $1.00 "radar" note.
    (*A "radar" note is one whose serial number is a palindrome- the same backwards as forwards- like the word "radar" itself.)
    [​IMG]

Bradley Trotter, Wal888, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Archive of LordM & Friends CoinTalk giveaways
    (There were a few others, but these were the ones that kind of settled into a regular monthly pattern.)

5. lordmarcovan

What we'll do at the end of the month is have the first drawing, which I will select only from the people who have never owned a gold coin before. If that first winner specified one of the gold coins as his or her first pick, that's the coin they'll get, and then we will proceed with the rest of the drawings in the usual manner.

So in other words, one gold coin will go to someone who has never owned one before. The other will go in the normal manner, depending on the order of the drawings.

These little Indian gold fanams are truly tiny coins, as you can see- in fact, they are some of the world's smallest gold coins ever made- but that kind of adds to the charm. And rather than being just a speck of bullion, they do have some history to them, too, since the ones up for grabs here are between 235 and 361 years old.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very cool prizes this month :)
    I'm sure my son will want to get in on it this month. I will show him when I get home this afternoon.
    I will wait to put in an "entry post" until he decides :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

"entry post"

This is my first time entering, Never owned gold that I can remember, I almost purchased a 1/10 American eagle in 1996, but decided not to at the time. now I figure If I buy a gold coin, It will be the only new addition I can swing that month. In 2002 I stopped collecting (long story), a regret. but past few years got back into the hobby. Since I joined this website, varieties, and studying how to identify have been a big area of study. Ill post my newest coin purchased yesterday.
    Prize choices 1,2,4,5,3
    Thanks.
    Eddie

JOKE
    "During class, the chemistry professor was demonstrating the properties of various acids. "Now I'm dropping this silver coin into this glass of acid. Will it dissolve?"
    "No, sir," a student called out.
    "No?" queried the professor. "Perhaps you can explain why the silver coin won't dissolve."
    "Because if it would, you wouldn't have dropped it in!"

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/Coin#ixzz5pPKZFBp3
    s-l1600sl46.jpg

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

entry post...
    my first gold coin were 2 American Gold Eagle 1 ounce coins i bought first year they came out in 1986, when i saw them i just had to have a few, so i worked 10 hours each saturday an sunday for 5 weeks painting houses at 10 dollars an hour to get the money, they were selling from the mint for $500 each, they were my first gold an i was so proud to own them, unfortunately, about six os so years later i ran into hard times an needed fast cash an made a decision to sell them, (that i still regret
    to this day) at a loss, at $480 each, they were the only 1 ounce gold coins i ever owned and still dont own any 1 oz golds...
    prizes = 1,2,3,4,5

a doubled die quarter i found while searching for a "W"... WDDR-006
    WDDR-006.jpg
    WDDR-006-1.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. lordmarcovan

Don't forget to add your order of preference for the prizes, like @Autoturf did above!

10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

thanks

11. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Wow, some spectacular prizes for June! Kudos to @lordmarcovan for hosting this party every month and being so generous. Kudos to all the others that contribute (sometimes repeat) every month as well! I'm going to stay out of this one and plan on being a contributor myself in the coming months.

12. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

Hold on, you sold the 1 oz gold eagles for $20 each??

13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

no, sold at 480 each, guess i coulda worded it a little different..

WildWest likes this.
  14. WildWest

Oh phew!! I was about to ask if you had any gold for sale right now! Haha!!

Autoturf likes this.
  15. WildWest

Entry post

Great prizes!!

I’m loving the old gold and these are really old! My favorite gold piece that I own is a 1914 D Indian $2.50 coin. I love the history of them and also the look. Can’t wait to get some more!

Here is my little Indian...thanks to you and all the donors for an amazing giveaway and hope you enjoy the pic.

Cheers!

2B47BDFF-95FF-41C0-BE64-55F276017E1F.jpeg

16. trogdor

trogdor Junior Member

"entry post"

My first gold coin would have been a British Sovereign (roughly a quarter ounce of gold) that I would have bought when I was in college and gold was around $250 an ounce. I bought them fairly regularly, attempting to collect them by date with little to no regard of condition until gold reached $800 or so and I felt they were too expensive to continue buying. I quickly sold them a short time later for no particular reason that I recall. I'm not terribly upset about it now, as there was no real numismatic interest in those specifically, they were just cheap bullion coins to me.

My wife and I received a bunch of British Sovereigns of them at our wedding, but those sit in the safety deposit box and will be given to our daughter when she marries or gets old enough where it becomes clear that she chooses not to.

As for the numismatic piece, I've uploaded two pictures of a very rare 1876 Centennial Exposition piece that I currently own.

This medal is made entirely of graphite and was produced by Joseph Dixon to commemorate the Centennial of the United States in 1876. Being incredibly fragile, very few have survived to the present day. It measures about 2.5 inches across and about 5/16 inches thick and has been called the "rarest type of 1876 Centennial piece extant".

My example is far finer than the one plated in the famous Russell Rulau Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900. (The same piece is imaged here: http://www.pencilpages.com/gallery/dixon/medal.htm ) Aside from that one, I have never seen another besides mine.

Order of prize preference: 3, 4, 1, 2, 5.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Bayern and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Wow, now that's cool. I've never heard of a graphite token before.

I guess if you're ever wanting to fill out a grocery list or do a crossword puzzle and you don't have a pencil handy, you could always pick the token up and write with it by pushing it down on the paper really hard, right?

*cringe*

Just kidding. ;)

Seriously, though, that's a really neat piece. Thanks for sharing the backstory. Better than the Rulau plate coin, huh? Impressive. I have the first edition of that book.

masterswimmer and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Mark1971

Mark1971 Active Member

Entry Post

My first gold coin was actually a 3-coin set of Canadian Maple Leafs. 1 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz.

Otherwise I don’t own any other gold so I have my fingers crossed to win this month!

Bayern, spirityoda and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Entry Post
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5

My first gold was a 1910 Quarter Eagle. I just love the design. But my favourite gold is the Australian Soverigns and Half Sovereigns from 1856-1870.

209C32CB-5A4A-46C3-997A-8DB9312C12AF.jpeg 3E275986-69C1-448D-AF73-39873E125B08.png

Bayern, furryfrog02 and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I recently bought a Dansco 7460 Japan Type for $30 on eBay. This album was in better condition than the one I already had so I will be selling the other sometime shortly.

Edit: My favorite and first gold coin would be a 2018W $10 1/4oz Proof I received as a gift for my HS graduation. Granted I was rather surprised considering I only broached to my parents as a suggestion the 1/10oz version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Bayern, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Cool! Gotta love those rare World Coin Danscos! I completed all three of the Irish ones about 15 years ago. I'd be interested to see the page contents of that.

Bayern likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.