[CLOSED] LordM & Noah Finney Giveaway, January, 2019: something new and something old!)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM & Noah Finney Giveaway, January 2019

Contest now CLOSED- winners announced in Post #92

Giveaway banner January 2019.png

Hi, everybody, and welcome to the latest monthly giveaway!

I'm launching the January giveaway a few days early. Today (December 28th) is my birthday, but y'all will get the presents! :)

To enter:

1. Please include the words "entry post" in your initial post to this thread - and only your first post. You may reply to this thread as many times as you like, but if you put the phrase "entry post" into more than one reply, you will disqualify yourself.

2. In addition to the words "entry post", post something else else that is coin-related in some way- whatever you like. This can be as creative, funny, interesting, or inquisitive as you choose to make it. Note: We're doing something a little different this month, so be sure to read the instructions below!

3. If your lucky number (the permalink number of your entry post) comes up in the drawing at the end of the month, you've won a prize. Drawings are done with the random.org True Random Number Generator.

4. To see how this works and has played out before, look at some of the past monthly giveaways (I'll put an archive of those in Post #2).

5. I will gladly ship prizes outside the USA (or reimburse donor partners for doing so), but if international shipping proves too costly, I do reserve the right to substitute prizes (such as with an electronic PayPal gift, etc).

6. If you are a minor, I'm delighted to have you play, but please make sure you have your parents' permission to enter this giveaway, since if you win, I will be required to ask for your mailing address, obviously.

~*~*~*~

This month there will be two three! prizes: something new, and something old.

(Update: I decided to give away TWO of the silver coins below, instead of just one.)

If you are a winner in one of the first two drawings, you will receive your choice of one of the following 2019-dated 1-ounce silver bullion coins, which I will order and have shipped directly to you.

Please specify which silver coin you would prefer to win in your entry post.

2019 AUSTRALIA KANGAROO.png
    2019 GREAT BRITAIN BRITANNIA.png
    2019 SOMALIA ELEPHANT.jpg
    2019 SOUTH AFRICA SILVER KRUGERRAND.png
    2019 UNITED STATES SILVER EAGLE.png

To qualify to win the second third! drawing, tell us what the date is on the oldest dated coin you own. If you do not own anything dated as old as 1757 (not counting ancients or medievals), then you're eligible to win this 1757 British halfpenny of King George II, which was donated by my young partner, @Noah Finney.

imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg

Noah might only be 13, but is an incredibly bright and promising young numismatist, and he insisted on donating a coin from his collection, so there you go! Thanks, Noah! :)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Archive of monthly LordM & Friends CoinTalk giveaways
    (There were a few others, but these were the ones that kind of settled into a regular monthly pattern.)

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

So in summary: to enter this month, you will need to:
    1. Put the words "entry post" in your first post (and only your first post).
    2. Put something- coin-related in your post. Anything you like.
    3. State your preference of silver coin prizes, should you win one of the first two drawings.
    4. State the date of your oldest dated coin. If it is not as old as the 1757 halfpenny prize, you're eligible to win that in the third drawing.
    Happy (almost-) New Year! :)

(*Edited to add another silver coin prize draw)

5. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Not an Entry post:
    [​IMG]
    thought this one was good!

Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST
    Happy Birthday lordm!
    silver pick - somolia elephant

here's a pic of my "one of kind" "super unique" "gonna make me rich" mint error coin, a portion of the dies was obviously missing...:eek::confused:;)
    2003-hole-horz.jpg

this is my oldest dated coin....
    Picture 458.jpg Picture 459.jpg 1808-obv.jpg 1808-rev.jpg

thanks guys for an awesome giveaway!

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Happy Birthday!!!!

lordmarcovan and Noah Finney like this.
  8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

entry post happy birthday, thanks for holding these contests. Any of the silver coins would be cool. My oldest coin is now an ancient i bought a few years ago, and still remains unidentified. Oldest CRH find was a 1863 cent. 2014rz.png shield cents really are the worst coin ever made by the mint.

9. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

ENTRY POST
    I yesterday found a 1943 S War Nickel in a roll, considerably good quality. XF is my guess.
    Definitely would love to own the 2019 Britannia. Great Reverse design.
    Now I have to dig out my coins and figure out which is the oldest. Ugh so much work! JK
    Oldest Coin- 1853 Liberty Seated dime VG10

10. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

Entry post - krugerrand
    Not eligible to the second drawing, whatever here's my oldest dated coin (1551). Curious enough, here's a recent story about it.
    My little sister was looking at her stamp collection the day before yesterday, and there was a stamp with a painting of Charles V on it. She asked me who he was, and I recognized Charles V. I took my coin and showed it to her that it was the same fellow on the coin and on the stamp.
    She said that they were not alike at all!
    1551.jpg

11. KellenCoin

KellenCoin New Member

Entry Post
    Fun thing: Never argue with a numismatist, they usually have the proof!
    Silver coin of choice: Krugerrand
    Oldest Coin: 1787 coin from French Guinea.

lordmarcovan and Noah Finney like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, certainly got around.

Here he is, looking younger and possibly beardless, on a ca. 1521-1545 Brabant gold florin I owned earlier this year.

[​IMG]

And here he is again on a 1730 Nuremberg jeton I just purchased and do not even have in hand yet. Looks different here, with his huge hand and bulbous nose. I'm looking forward to seeing this piece. It was relatively inexpensive and looks great to me. This piece commemorates the Augsburg Confession and the 200th anniversary of Charles V's coronation.

[​IMG]

Ryro, Kasia, Nathan401 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

Charles V is indeed not at his advantage on the token! Very nice token anyway.
    Did your florin come from the recent Elsen auction by chance? A recent auction in Belgium had an impressive collection with tenths of florins similar to yours. I think they came from a same hoard found some time ago.
    https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=sale&sid=2684&cid=74521

Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Entry post
    Brittania
    Oldest dated coin? I'll have to look when I get home this afternoon...

Coin-related ... My wife's ancestors immigrated from Switzerland in the early 1700's. They were hard-working, Anabaptist farmers fleeing from religious persecution. It was literally a "match made in Heaven" as William Penn needed folks to settle in the rich farmland and forests of the newly-established colony of "Penn's Woods".

She does not yet appreciate my numismatic tendencies, so to help to nurture the possibility, I bought her a 1718 Kreuzer from Bern, Switzerland.

1718 Kreuzer - Bern, Switzerland.jpg

Many of her relatives were from that area, and we were fortunate enough to have been able to visit that town this past summer with our children.

I also included a blown-up of the obverse and reverse with the following text:

The climbing bear is the badge of Bern, Switzerland.

The city of Bern, Switzerland is proud of its symbol, the bear, even to this day. According to the local legend, the Duke of Zähringen founded the city and vowed to name it after the first animal he met on a hunt, which turned out to be a bear. The bear has been the animal on the seal and coat of arms of Bern from at least the 1220s.

Obverse: Bear surrounded by an ornate shield
    moneta reipub bernensis = "Money, Commonwealth of Bern"

Reverse: Maltese cross
    dominus providebit = "The Lord will provide"

15. lordmarcovan

I bought it from Numiscorner through either VCoins or MA-Shops.

I wish I had seen that auction! Perhaps I have been buying from fixed price storefronts too long. Only started using Numisbids and Sixbid this fall.

Theodosius and Noah Finney like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Since I just got a late Christmas/birthday surprise from a supremely generous forum member, I'm sweetening the pot.

TWO people are going to get their choice of silver bullion coins shown in the original post, not just one.

So there will be THREE drawings at the end of January: two for the 1-oz. silver coins, and one for the 1757 halfpenny.

The latter is in hand now, having just arrived in the mail from @Noah Finney. Looks good. It was in the mailbox with that surprise card from @Randy Abercrombie.

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Entry Post, I’m partial to that Krugerrand. Glad to see these give-aways up and running again! Thanks to the donators and you, LordM for doing the work. This was a really recent grab. Small scratch above the date, R-4. D32A2AC0-1D68-43DD-A1B2-2C08290F0FFB.jpeg 76F2D540-B64E-40C5-8BC5-F04C385265A7.jpeg

18. Natew1214

Natew1214 New Member

Entry post. Woei really like the 2019 brittania they are gorgeous. I love coins of all contries and of all metal. I love my lincolLin. Collecting them is really hard but it gives me the drive to get more and more. And the finds I have discovered are like wow. I have recently submitted five coins to have my name attributed to the find. So yes new discovery coins. I love collecting varieties

Kasia, Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

I accidentally did not include @juris klavins' entry in the drawing for December, so this is an extra entry post for him in the January giveaway. If the random number generator lands on #18 (this post), @juris klavins will win one of the silver coins, just as he will if it lands on his actual entry post, whenever he gets around to posting that.

juris klavins and Noah Finney like this.
  20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Entry post... 2019 is a great year to photograph your coins. I will be doing that.

I pick The Australia one, only because the reverse is pretty cool looking.

I will have to get photos up of my oldest dated coin... it is a 1806 half cent.

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.

Interesting thing: the most interesting thing I have found, are the people on CoinTalk.

This was my oldest briefly until I could give it to my granddaughter upon her birth, Jan 12th 2018:
    1818  Capped Bust Obverse.jpg 1818  Capped Bust Reverse.jpg

The Somali Elephant looks kinda neat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.