[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, December 2018: who wants some CircCam silver?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM Giveaway, December 2018

Deadline for entries: midnight Eastern US time, Monday, December 31, 2018.

Update: this contest is now CLOSED. Winner announced in Post #127.

2018-Dec-giveaway-banner.png

Hi, everybody, and welcome to the latest monthly giveaway!

To enter:

1. Please include the words "entry post" in your initial post to this thread. This enables me to sort out the eligible posts from the secondary commentary posts later. You may reply to this thread as many times as you like, but each member gets only one eligible entry post per month. If you put the phrase "entry post" into more than one reply, you will disqualify yourself for the month.

2. In addition to the words "entry post", post something else that's fun, creative, amusing, or interesting. Anything you like. However, please note that your post must include something coin-related, though we do welcome general chitchat and pet pictures and whatever else. Just find some kind of numismatic tie-in for your post, is all.

3. If your lucky number (the permalink number of your entry post) comes up in the drawing at the end of the month, you've won a prize. Drawings are done with the random.org True Random Number Generator.

4. To see how this works and has played out before, look at some of the past monthly giveaways (I'll put an archive of those in Post #2).

5. I will gladly ship prizes outside the USA (or reimburse donor partners for doing so), but if international shipping proves to be cost-prohibitive, I do reserve the right to substitute prizes (such as with an electronic PayPal gift, etc).

6. If you are a minor, I'm delighted to have you play, but please make sure you have your parents' permission to enter this giveaway, since if you win, I will be required to ask for your mailing address, obviously.

~*~*~*~

This month I am offering three silver coins with original grey toning. Some of these have the "CircCam" (Circulated Cameo) appearance, which is a term I coined for coins that have darker toning in the fields and lighter devices. "Contrasting grey toning" is perhaps a better phrase, but my shorthand "CircCam" term is gaining recognition in the numismatic community.

These three coins, offered as a single lot, are:

• A 1780 Austrian Maria Theresa thaler. These large silver coins have continued to be struck by the Austrian mint since Maria Theresa died in 1780, and they have all been dated "1780" since. Chances are, this one is one of the early 20th century restrikes. It saw circulation, as many did in world trade in regions like Africa and the Middle East.
    • A 1914-D United States Barber quarter. Just a handsome grey circulated example; nothing special perhaps, but it is a nicely toned, original 104 year old classic US silver coin.
    • A 1942-D Australian threepence of George VI. This small silver piece was struck for Australia by the United States Mint in Denver, Colorado. The US struck many coins under contract for foreign governments, especially during World War II. This coin is certified and encapsulated by ANACS and graded EF40. It is an inexpensive but fun slabbed piece, and has nice CircCam contrast.

20181207_050108.jpg 20181207_045726.jpg 20181207_045735.jpg 20181207_045819.jpg 20181207_045836.jpg 20181207_045857.jpg 20181207_045916.jpg 20181207_045907.jpg

Theodosius, Curtisimo, ken454 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Archive of monthly LordM & Friends CoinTalk giveaways
    (There were a few others, but these were the ones that kind of settled into a regular monthly pattern.)

spirityoda, TIF, Noah Finney and 2 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Here's a free extra entry post for @Noah Finney. I don't think he's won one of these giveaways yet? Noah, if the random number generator lands on this post, you've won, just as if it lands on your actual entry post, once you've posted that. So that gives you two chances in this drawing, once you've made your entry post.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Entry Post -

I love Metal Detecting!
    Beach%252520Hunting.jpg

Here are a few US and Foreign coins I have dug up from parks and beaches -
    20170715_124735.jpg 20180804_125814-1.jpg 20180421_165240-1.jpg 20171123_105201-1.jpg

Theodosius, tmeyer, Bayern and 6 others like this.
  6. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post

I bought a Bitcoin with my savings......

12-07-17.jpg

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Entry Post.

1984 NGC MS67RD FS-101 (037) Red DDO Double Ear Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent.

184 DDO.jpg
    1984 B.jpg
    1984 DDO.jpg

Amazing grade and doubled ear variety.

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

ENTRY POST

I never knew CirCam meant original gray toning. I thought it meant something about surface swirls or what not ... learn something new every day.

But I think this is CirCam on my 1893 O Barber dime.
    upload_2018-12-7_8-35-11.png
    upload_2018-12-7_8-35-29.png

9. lordmarcovan

Yes. That's a CircCam. Nice scarcer date, too, isn't it?

Noah Finney likes this.
  10. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Entry Post

CBs Poem

Coins Are fun
    Some Coins are dumb
    Thinking about my coins makes my brain go numb

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

1893 O had a mintage of 1.76 million
    mintage really didn't explode until 1897. Of course the initial 1892P was over 12 million. Mintage numbers are all over the place for these it seems.

13. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    My cat waiting to see me open CoinTalk Secret Santa gift in a past year. Thank You Secret Santa! IMG_0521.JPG

14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST...

heres something i got to help me win with scratch off lottery tickets..:):rolleyes:

18127114137973.jpg 1812711420209.jpg

15. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST

I just started a new thread with an unknown gold coin that's available on eBay for about the next 15 minutes. I'm not interested, but maybe someone else is and/or could identify it.

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. bsting

bsting Never enough coins.lol

ENTRY POST

I just recently got back into coin collecting and when I was at the coin shop picking up some new coins, books, etc. The dealer said she would start me a pile and as other people came in and I picked some things out she let people know this was my pile. I thought it was funny how she kept saying that.

A couple pics of things I bought:
    FA0062FF-3B63-466C-840E-4EFF953AF3E4.jpeg

17. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Entry post

Here's a really old CirCam!
    PhotoGrid_1544197290179.jpg

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

ENTRY POST

Here is a 1955 quarter I found in circulation. I think some little fingers robbed daddy's collection.
    1955 Quarter Obverse*.jpg

1955 Quarter Reverse*.jpg

19. lordmarcovan

That, or Marty McFly brought it with him when he came Back To The Future from 1955 Hill Valley. When you found the coin, had you noticed anyone who looked like Michael J. Fox in a down vest riding around town in a weird looking DeLorean car?

20. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

entry post
    i am new at collecting, i started out after i found a penny from 1934. it sparked my interest. since then i have been looking for coins at flea markets. i found a few good ones last week

DEA, Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk and good luck on the drawing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.