LordM giveaway, September, 2017

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yay!!! FALL IS COMING!!!

One entry per member.

I will do a random drawing on or shortly after October 1st, 2017.

Three winners will be drawn.

All you have to do to enter this time is share your favorite autumn memory, or a short anecdote about your "happy place". Post pictures if you feel like it. If your stories happen to be coin related somehow, great, but that isn't required.

Here are the prizes. Like the last two giveaways, the winners will be selected via random number generator, but will get some choice over their prizes. This time the first winner drawn gets first pick, the second drawn gets second pick, and the third winner drawn gets whatever's left.

Here are the prizes.

• A 2001-S USA Rhode Island Statehood quarter, silver proof, PCGS PR69 DCAM. This was given to me by @Nathan401. (He is OK with me "regifting" it.)

2001S-25c-RI-AR-proof.png

• A 1974 Bahamian 2-dollar coin, Uncirculated specimen strike, in the original Franklin Mint packaging. At 40mm, it is quite a large coin. I gave one of these away in last month's giveaway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• A proof 1987 Canadian "Loon" dollar in the original Royal Canadian Mint packaging, including the original case and cardboard outer sleeve. @Paddy54 won one of these in last month's giveaway but told me to keep it and put it in this month's giveaway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    CircCam, dwhiz, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

With Fall, my favorite time of year, fast approaching, my thoughts turn to my favorite places in the North Carolina mountains around Asheville, where the autumn colors are always spectacular. I have a long history with that area, though I live on the Georgia coast now, which is also lovely. (Though I'm not fond of the hot and humid summers here - which make me celebrate the coming of fall all the more).

We'll be headed up to the NC mountains for our anniversary again this year, in late October. The scenery from the Blue Ridge Parkway is especially breathtaking around that time. My wife and I were married October 30, 1999, so it will be our 17th anniversary. We honeymooned in Asheville and had a tradition of "heading for the hills" around our anniversary for the first few years. My family reunions up there were typically in the summertime, but in the last couple of years they haven't had one, so Lenee and I have resumed the old "Head For the Hills Around Halloween" tradition.

800px-Fall_colors_from_the_Blue_Ridge_Parkway_just_south_of_Ashville.jpg

Our daughter Victoria is an autumn baby, born on September 21st, so today is her Sweet Sixteen! She has inherited my love of the mountains, though she was born here. Here she is the other day, on the pier at Gascoigne Bluff on St. Simons Island.

20170917_153103[1].jpg

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I took this in October 1995. Some place around Milan, NH.
    Friends came up to visit and wanted to see some moose.
    These two were getting ready for the rut, but a bus load of tourist arrive and spoiled the moment.
    moose rut 2.jpg

CircCam, LaCointessa, amorris and 3 others like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ah, October, my favorite month, I was born in October.

And was able to acquire a number of my 1896 S Barber quarters in the Fall season.

For some reason I see to be able to get better pieces for my collection at that time.

Thanks for the drawing.

:)

[PS: Pretty girl]

Theodosius likes this.
  6. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

My 'Happy place' when I've had a rough day or just need to get away is my favorite local fishing spot... sorry but I'm keeping it's identity a secret, for when you don't such places seem to lose their solace
    20170807_062531.jpg 20170809_195230.jpg 20170915_070238.jpg

IMG952017050395162058.jpg

I'm more a fan of spring than fall, having said that my favorite autumn memory is of the Red Sox breaking their curse in 2004, and the jubilation all over New England when they felled the Yankees in the ALCS that year. There are a lot more important things than sports, but watching the Sox that fall brought the whole region together, young and old, city folk and country folk, black, white, brown, purple, etc, etc.

Thanks for another fun giveaway LordM. Best wishes. Enjoy your anniversary.

7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Thanks for the giveaway my favorite fall memory is when I got my first deer last year since I hunt I'll try to find a picture later but thanks for the giveaway! (It was a 8 inch spike)

Thanks,
    Jacob

dlhill132, amorris, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

You look different without that fork on your face! ;)

That spot looks wonderful- my kinda place!

You wouldn't have to worry about me fishin' in your spot, but I love to swim in clear lakes and ponds, so I might scare the fish with a cannonball splash or two!

Theodosius and Mad Stax like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

If you don't mind, I'll take your word for it and will pass on seeing any hunters' trophy pictures of dead deer. I don't like 'em. I'm not exactly squeamish, but I'm soft on critters, to a fault, so those trophy photos kinda disturb me a little bit.

Live critters and outdoor pix are good, though. Mad Stax's bass didn't bother me. I have enjoyed (catch-and-release) fishing, though I will never be a hunter. (Except a treasure hunter!) And dwhiz's meeses were fine. ;)

10. lordmarcovan

(Oops- accidental post)

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't have a "favorite fall experience" that I can remember. Does that qualify? I thought that would be better than making one up.

Chris

amorris, dwhiz and Kentucky like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

You don't have a favorite place, either?

amorris likes this.
  13. Mad Stax

Yeah it's a nice little spot, and it's pretty under the radar, even locally, hopefully the hooligans don't discover it :stop:.

And yes, I do look quite different without my mask, don't I? The general public seems to be unanimously appalled when I walk the streets with it, so I think I'll put her away till Halloween. :mask: (For anyone who is interested in the origin of my avatar, and an excellent movie, check out Mad Max: Fury Road).

Feel free to come for a dip if you're ever up this way LordM, as long as your cannonballs are scaring the fish onto my hook all is well. ;)

dwhiz, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I live about 3 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Even though it takes a little longer we always drive it in the fall when going anywhere because the colors are so beautiful, not to mention the views. Hard to put a single memory to it all - life around here is always a pleasure. Here are some pictures taken from or on the Parkway during the fall over the last few years.

IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3810.JPG

15. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Yes sir I'll respect your wishes of course ;) sorry if your not all for hunting just sharing my favorite memory thanks again for the giveaway and I'll post some pictures of my up north nature instead. ;)

Here are some pictures of my up north this doe just sat there watching us! The kayaking exploring a new found pond was coooollllddd 20170831_103049.jpg 20170414_152823.jpg 20170901_171540.jpg

And oh that slabbed quarter has got my eye such a beauty such a generous give away I've never seen a slabbed coin!

Thanks,
    Jacob

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Not really! The only thing I can remember is that I am always fortunate to still be breathing.

Chris

LaCointessa, dwhiz, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  17. Mad Stax

Cool pic, it's a thrill seeing moose in the wild. Last time I saw one was 15-20 years ago up in Maine.
    At least a dozen cars were pulled to the side of the highway gawking and taking pictures by the time we left. Some were a little too giddy if you ask me, creeping up to within about 20 feet of such a large (and potentially dangerous, if provoked) animal.

amorris and dwhiz like this.
  18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Fall is our favorite time as well! Most of my family was born in the fall, and every year, we go to fall creek falls state park in TN to kick off the season.

amorris and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thank you for the contest, AGAIN!

Both my wife and I love fall in Minnesota the best of all the seasons: humidity is lower; colors abound in the trees and bushes; tomatoes, squash and pumpkins are ripe; kids are back in school; life seems to slow down again.

You rock, @Lord M!
    Steve

20. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Similar to what someone else said, my favorite recent fall memory is the Cubs winning the World Series last year. As a bonus, my wife was pregnant and we were hoping to see a World Series win in the same year our child was born, which would make it extra special (and it all worked out).

My happy place is an area called the Cisco Chain of Lakes on the Wisconsin/Michigan border. My family went there on vacation every year for about a decade. I loved the nature, fishing, and scenery. DSC_6479.JPG 100_0088.jpg DSC_5959.JPG DSC_6359.JPG

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Here's a wonderful fall spot of mine in Gatlinburg, Tenn. -- before the terrible fire. However, this house was high up enough that it survived. Hope those folks are able to bring the area back.

Best autumn memory? The Cubs winning the World Series, of course.:woot:

IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

CircCam, sonlarson, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.