[CLOSED] The "It's About Time I Had Another Giveaway Because H8_modern is so Awesome" contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

OK, so @H8_modern is awesome. I already knew this, and suspect many of you did as well, but that fact was recently reinforced.

Check out the loot I won in his recent giveaway.

(*Just kidding about the gold coin, but everything else in that post was in my surprise package- and I wasn't the only one who got an awesome surprise package from him, either!)

So this means it's time for me to do another, because "what comes around goes around".

(Never mind that I'm grossly behind schedule in shipping my last giveaway obligations- from the "Epic Treasure Hunting Game" - so I beg those folks to continue being patient. I should have their goodies finally mailed off before this next giveaway closes.)

So here's the new giveaway.

Imagine you have a time machine that is good for exactly one round trip in time. The controls are rusty and some of the gears are stuck (hey, it's an old H.G. Wells-type time machine with analog controls, not a Doc Emmett Brown-style DeLorean with a flux capacitor.) So you don't have much choice in destination. But it could've been worse...

You are going to end up at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois in late May of 1893!

Here's your ticket.

(One of you will actually win this in the drawing.)

ColumbianExpoTicket1893-obv.jpg
    ColumbianExpoTicket1893-rev.jpg

Let's say you also have five circulated Morgan dollars to spend on souvenirs at the Exposition, and one outfit of late-19th century clothing so you won't stick out like a sore thumb.

To enter, tell us how you would spend your virtual five bucks in 1893, and what souvenir(s) you would bring back. (Coins or whatever else- anything goes- as long as you would've been able to find it for $5.00 or less in Chicago in 1893.)

Everyone who posts an entry will get one chance in the final drawing on or shortly after June 1st, 2017.

People who make what I consider to be particularly interesting souvenir choices for their virtual $5 in 1893 will get additional chances in the drawing, at my discretion.

Two winners will be drawn.

One will get the original Columbian Exposition ticket shown above.

Another person will receive this linked pair of 19th century hand-engraved love tokens, which are the sort of thing that might have been sold at the Exposition. These particular pieces were hand carved on dimes, including a nice bird pictorial and an 1883 Seated dime host coin, and the original chain still joins them together.

LTpair-obv.jpg LTpair-rev.jpg

NOTE: Naturally, all "purchases" made here in this contest are "virtual" and hypothetical. Nobody is making any real purchases here. The two prizes shown above are real, however, and will be awarded in the drawing.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Because of his awesome generosity:

This post is to give @H8_modern an additional chance in the drawing.

Therefore, if he posts an entry, he will thereby get two chances in the drawing.

(One from his entry, and one from this post.)

If he doesn't, he'll still automatically get one chance from this.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Because I felt like it:

This post is to give @LaCointessa an additional chance in the drawing.

Therefore, if she posts an entry, she will thereby get two chances in the drawing.

(One from her entry, and one from this post.)

If she doesn't, she'll still automatically get one chance from this.

(I sorta figured she might dig those love tokens.)

Stevearino and LaCointessa like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Because we discussed this time travel scenario yesterday:

This post is to give @Deacon Ray an additional chance in the drawing.

Therefore, if he posts an entry, he will thereby get two chances in the drawing.

(One from his entry, and one from this post.)

If he doesn't, he'll still automatically get one chance from this.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Oh! Yaaayyy! Thank you @lordmarcovan for the extra chance in the drawing! I gotta snag those tokens. I can make out my mom's initials; she is a BIG small sweet bird fanatic; and, she adores money! Her birthday is coming up and she'll be 96 years young! Okay, forget the work I need to do today, I want to come up with a really great entry idea. Hmmm, let's see. What to do? What to do?

P.S. Or maybe if I win, I should keep the love token for myself? LaCointessa needs love.:happy:;)

Curtisimo and Stevearino like this.
  7. teosandra

teosandra Member

I'd come home with the Columbus/Columbia Gold Eyed Sharps needle packet. My mother loved to sew and a good son would always bring home his mom a nice present. :) Thanks for the giveaway and the creative rules!

8. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

I'd buy an 1893 $5 gold coin fresh from the mint. MS70 1893 $5 coin anyone? If that didn't work out maybe a whole lot of popcorn!

9. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

This is a really neat idea! Thanks for the opportunity. Now...time to brainstorm...

lordmarcovan and LaCointessa like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Interesting. I know nothing about vintage sewing needles. Surely you could buy plenty in 1893 Chicago for five bucks, though, right? Were these issued in special packaging? Got pix? What would they be worth in 2017 (not that that matters, for a sentimental gift)?

This is the kind of strategic thinking we wanna see. Trouble is, there is no mint in Chicago. But yes, let's assume you can find a fresh, newly struck, super Gem 1893 $5 gold piece in or around the Exposition grounds. I suppose it would be a Philadelphia coin, but...?

Oh- and I'll bet five bucks would've bought a whole LOT of popcorn in 1893! (Like, a wheelbarrow full, maybe? More?) :)

11. lordmarcovan

Numismatically speaking, let's say you theoretically have access to anything coin- or currency-wise that could have plausibly been in circulation in Chicago in 1893. You've befriended a few cashiers and tellers who don't mind you checking their drawers (oops, that sounded bad) - um - looking through their tills- for stuff to buy at face value.

Were there world proof sets available at the various foreign venues? I don't know. Seems possible, at a World's fair like that. (I know the British issued some fantastic proof sets that year- I used to have a gorgeous Cameo proof 1893 half-sovereign I regret selling. But those British proof sets with gold coins likely cost more than $5, even assuming any were for sale at the Exposition.)

Were there coin dealers at the Exposition or nearby in Chicago, where you might've been able to purchase older coins, like Colonial issues? Again- dunno- but it seems possible. Google us up a coin dealer pricelist circa 1893, find a dealer in Chicago, and make your case for what you selected!

Sell us your "souvenir scenario" to make it plausible. Google up some links or pictures to support your hypothesis, if you like. Have fun with it. I think most of us have daydreamed scenarios like this before. Give us your best.

Anyone who posts a scenario gets entered in the drawing, and the winners will be chosen randomly, but some of the more interesting scenarios posted may get extra credit (i.e., be awarded extra chances in the drawing).

I also might sweeten the pot with some additional prizes later. ;)

teosandra and LaCointessa like this.
  12. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I'm making a list of options and so far number one on my list is: Buy 20 of them thar 1893 25C -Isabella Columbian coins. There were only 24,214 of them minted! At auction just a few years ago one brought $64,625. so 20 of them should be somewhere around $1,300,000! I'm really leaning towards this choice. Yeee haww!

13. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I would get Isabella quarters.

14. lordmarcovan

Yes, good choice on the Isabella quarters. What did they cost, at the issue price? I'm pretty sure it was more than face value, so maybe you can't get 20 of them for your $5, but you could still get several! And you can cherrypick top-quality pieces, too!

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

Yep, a good old philly coin. Chicago and Philadelphia aren't really far away from each other.

Two and a half dollars in 1893 is worth roughly 64 dollars. You can buy 50 pounds of popcorn for that much. So I could buy 100 pounds of popcorn in 1893 for 5 dollars! Now I need some butter.

lordmarcovan and LaCointessa like this.
  16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I’m totally nerding out here. I think you picked the perfect time period to travel back to; the 1893 Colombian Exposition is one of my favorite times in numismatic and world history!
    Where to begin!? Admission is 50 cents, so now I’m down to $4.50. I would keep the ticket as one of my souvenirs.
    [​IMG]
    Now, there was a LOT to see and not a lot of time or money so let’s see what I can come up with. If you haven’t seen this website, I highly recommend you read through it to see what all was at the fair: http://www.1893columbianexpo.com/ride-tix.html
    Here’s a great resource to see what things actually looked like at the Exposition: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22847/22847-h/22847-h.htm (select to read in HTML)
    I could not, of course, pass up the $1.00 cost of the Isabella Quarter Commemorative. This brings me down to $3.50 http://middlegeorgiacoinclub.com/isabella-quarter/ I wouldn’t have minded buying it for face value, though!
    Now, I’m dubious that this was made at the fair http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Columbian-Worlds-Fair-Chicago-Columbus-Tin-Belt-Buckle-/401295559802 but being that I’m a fan of the countryside and hope to retire to it someday, I’d have bought a good leather belt and buckle to wear daily and think back on the awesome experience. I’ll assume it to cost $0.50 and bring me down to $3.00. I used this PDF, specifically pages 14-16, to estimate the cost.

I’m now out of souvenirs to purchase and the rest of the money is going to be spent in memories and experiences!

My next stop would be the ferris wheel, which also cost 50 cents (down to $2.50). I’d also jump on the first electric elevators that went up 8 floors for 10 cents (down to $2.40).
    [​IMG]
    I would at some point have to use the bathroom and would’ve paid 5 cents to use the Clow, which I’m pretty sure came from the German word “Klo” meaning toilet (down to $2.35).

I’d take a ride on the first moving walkway for 5 cents. http://chicagoworldsfair1893.weebly.com/new-products-and-technologies.html bringing me down to $2.30
    [​IMG]
    There was a lion show that I would like to see and it would cost me 25 cents but they did have free showings, so I’ll hold that quarter for another purchase. Still at $2.30
    I would definitely ride the ice railway and the German Village Restaurant for 10 cents each, down to $2.20.
    [​IMG]
    I would have caught a ride on the Steamship SS Christopher Columbus. Cost unknown, but I’ll assume it at 50 cents like the ferris wheel, bringing me down to $1.70
    I’m a fan for chocolate, so add to it the 15 cents to go to the Chocolat Menier, bringing me down to $1.55.
    [​IMG]
    I’d have paid $0.10 to have my 50 cent piece turned into a love token, to include year, the exposition, and my initials. http://lovetokensociety.com/history/the-decline-of-the-love-token/, taking me down to $0.95.
    If I had the time, I would also stop over to see Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, which was not included in the Exposition. http://haygenealogy.com/hay/1893fair/1893fair.html I’m going to assume it cost $0.50. Leaving me with $0.45.
    Being a West Point Graduate, I'd visit the Cadet Encampment at Government Plaza
    [​IMG]
    I’d spend the rest picking up the first postcards and commemorative stamps, a pack of Juicy Fruit (made by Wrigleys) gum, and a can of Pabst blue ribbon beer (then called America’s Best or Pabst Select) http://www.history.com/news/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-1893-chicago-worlds-fair
    I’d be dead broke but I’d leave with a ticket from the event, two shiny coins in my pocket, a nice belt buckle holding my pants up, and memories that would last forever.
    Thanks for the awesome giveway and for the opportunity for me to nerd out!

17. lordmarcovan

Dayum!
    That's a LOT of popcorn!

Too much, I think!

You're gonna make yourself sick! LOL :hungover::depressed::vomit:

Personally, I think I'd stick with the Gem 1893-P $5 gold piece! ;)

LaCointessa likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

If you hit reply to my message, you'll see the photos that didn't turn out.

19. lordmarcovan

This "nerded out" post is awesome. Extra entry in the drawing for @Seattlite86. Brilliant!

BTW, you're already presumed to have had a ticket, so no need to pay for admission, unless you want an extra ticket for a souvenir. So you can spend another 50 cents. I know you'll get full value for the money! Bravo!

(And thanks for all the info.)

20. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

I think I'd go on the ferris wheel 10 times! Then I could brag that I went the most times on the first ferris wheel ever.

21. Seattlite86

Thanks! And in that case, I'll keep all the change from my purchases in terms of Flying Eagle Centts, Indian Head Cents, Liberty Nickels, Shield Nickels, and Seated Dimes. I'll of course cherry pick them before paying for the next item in attempt to get more change :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.