**Past TOTW Award Winners**

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by raider34, Jun 9, 2010.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

There has been a lot of talk recently about the loss of both the TOTW and Clinker awards. For those of you who don't know the TOTW (Thread of the Week) award was set up on CoinTalk on July 25th 2008, and the idea of the award was: (From Peter)

The TOTW award ran until late August 2009, when problems with the forum software no longer allowed it. In that time there were over 60 threads that won the TOTW. There is tons of great info in those threads, and unfortunately when the TOTW award stopped working, so did the section that held all the threads. Luckily the original nomination threads are still in the Announcement section. So I went back and organized all the winning threads. (There was a lot of counting, and threads to go through, so if you catch any errors please let me know).

July 2008
    Do's and Don'ts in Coin Collecting
    The Sheldon 70 point grading scale

August 2008
    I Like Cointalk!!!~~~~!!!!!
    Book Review – Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman
    The MS67 Morgan Dollar (Grades within a Grade)

September 2008
    NGC Star Desgination (Inconsistent or Misunderstood)
    Your Evolution /Cabinet Friction,stacking Or Wear (Tie)
    10 Rules for Coin Collecting
    Silver in hand OR Silver "paper"?
    The secret to collecting key dates (The elusive AU64 slider)

October 2008
    Photoshop your pictures to make professional looking images
    Official YN Contest prize thread
    It was a VERY GOOD YEAR
    The 1909 S VDB

November 2008
    I'm Dancin/Certified Coins Stolen/Should the word (Tie)
    1957 recarved franklin half
    Standing Liberty Quarters---The Full Head Debate
    Numismatic Education

December 2008
    Counterfeit 1874-S Trade Dollar
    A lesson in "Buy the Coin, not the Slab"
    Security and your collection
    Exhibit: Gold - Pre 1933 - Dec 2008 - King spock
    Exhibit: Half Cents - 1804 - January 1st 2009 - Fish

January 2009
    Exhibit: 1840 (O) 50C Reverse of 1838 ,A date without a home.
    The Morgan melt down: Pittman Act 1918
    Thanks from Freaky's Mom
    CoinTalk 1787 Fugio Cent Collection

February 2009
    Experiment with Verdigone (tm) on copper cents
    Very deceptive counterfeit 1909-S VDB
    So...I caught my first Coin Thief!/A book review/recommendation (Tie)
    Thought I would put them all together...

March 2009
    The Rhyme and Reason for the New York Collection!
    1st year in the " coin biz"
    The FS (Full Step) Designation for Jefferson Nickels Defined
    Lafayette Dollar--A Numismatic Treasure
    Plate position arithmetic

April 2009
    How would you grade this dollar?
    Ignorance is Bliss? or something like that.
    Everything you need/wanted to know about coin and currency storage
    Never ceases to amaze me.... 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter.

May 2009
    Value of Coin Talk Membership
    Jefferson Nickel NGC Registry Set (New Photos)
    cleaning and retoning
    Memorial Day Coins

June 2009
    Brazilian 960 Reis, but what is the host?
    Diffused Lighting Coin Photography (Capture the Color)
    Best Coin Resource/Coinage of Cameroon/Databases for ancients (Tie)
    Machine Doubling
    My unsolicited list of 20 collecting tips/comments/advice...

July 2009
    Hitting the books at coin school/Doubled dies (Tie)
    Why I collect Roosevelt Dimes!!
    A cautionary tale
    how do you spot fake Trade Dollars, anyway?

August 2009
    Coin buying education 101-3 [new 7/31]
    My First Ever ANA Show - Show Report
    The "Deal Shopping" Mentality - Helpful Insights for the New Collectors
    ***LEARNING About Matte Proof Lincolns***
    Coin Investing via Coin Talk
    Step Back and Think About It

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As I pointed out in my recent post in the other thread, none of this went anywhere. It's all still there right where it always was.

Nice of you to do all this work, but anybody who takes the time to click on the Announcements section can see the same thing.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Fantastic post and thanks for reminding us about the announcements page. If people would scan through this list before posting, it would probably cut the thread traffic in half.

What I've read of these was very worthy material and I've probably only read 10% of them in the past. I might have to read some more later tonight.

5. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yeah but who wants to do all that work. :D And then with the older threads there was no poll, so you have to tally all the votes. Lol, and that's when you discover Ruben nominated at least 10 threads a week.
    Thanks. There were actually a bunch of great threads I had forgotten about too, like Mark Feld's 20 coin collecting tips, Charmy's Deal shopping mentality, Lehigh's Lafayette Dollar thread, and Matt's thread about the 1916 SLQ, just to name a few.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wow Mike, that's a ton of work you've done. Perhaps Doug could transfer your list to the "announcements" section?

7. Art

Art Numismatist?

I guess I don't really know my way around the site all that well. I would have no idea how to find this information. Thank you for doing the work and posting it.

I'm nominating your post for the new award thingie.

8. GDJMSP

Uhhhhh - maybe you missed it, but every single thread he listed is already there :confused:

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

when was the first reset of all of the stats? I am curious because at one time all of the TOTW stats got reset to 0 after the idea had been put into practice. this included a clearing of the Hall Of Fame.

Does anyone know?

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I know the problems started in mid August (when it went like 3 weeks without a winner). I believe Peter went back and gave the awards to the winners for those 2-3 weeks. But after that there wasn't a TOTW thread until October 24th, I believe this is around the time the reset happened. There were two TOTW threads after that, on the 26th and then on November 2nd, but there was no voting because the button wasn't working.

11. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Just caught you said first reset, the October one was the 2nd, sorry.

I believe the first reset happened on 12/29/08. The software for the TOTW was updated, if you check page 2 of the Announcements section you'll see that was the first time there was a poll in the TOTW thread. Also this thread from the Support and Feedback section supports that: Nominations - CoinTalk

Btw, I did include those threads that were cleared during the first reset.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

That's more of what I was after. I was wondering if the reset was included. Thanks for doing the research.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Mike! Thanks for condensing this to one place. :thumb:

With the indexing work done, it's worth having something like this set up as a sticky.

14. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Thanks for doing the research for us. It does make life a little easier because we all are a little lazy when it comes to looking for something ourselves. I will definately keep this handy because there are plenty of good write ups here that I can come back to over and over.
    Thanks

15. GDJMSP

Will just one of you who thinks this is so easy, or thinks it should be a sticky, please just go click on the Announcement section and scroll down just a bit. Then you might try clicking on page 2, and page 3. They are ALL TOTW awards. The very same ones he has here. You don;t have to "look" for anything. :rolleyes:

Not to take anything away from raider, what he did was a tremedous amount of work and I admire him for it.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Doug, I don't think I'm alone in saying we all appreciate the hard work that's been done by you on this forum.

17. GDJMSP

I had absolutely nothing to do with the TOTW, or the Announcements section. That was all Peter's doing.

All I am doing is questioning why it is any easier to view this thread that raider created when all of the very same links that he created are already in the Announcements section, in order, by week. Just like they are here.

And there is nothing on this entire web site that is easier to find than the Announcements section. It's the very first link you see.

18. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

because alot of the earlier TOTW threads didn't have polls. this thread has done the work of figuring out which posts during those weeks were the winners and then posting a link to those threads right here in one summary of all of the winners.

not sure why you don't see one thread with links to all of the winners isn't easier than 50+ threads in the announcements section that you have to sort through to figure out who won.

Thanks for putting this together... will have to go back and read some more of these and some of them that I maybe missed before I joined up.

19. GDJMSP

Maybe because only 18 of them are that way. The majority do have the winners listed. For those 18, yes, this thread would be easier.

My point is that they are all there and always have been.

20. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Instead of pm'ing you Doug, I am posting it here that I would like to nominate post 1 of this thread for the new award!!!

21. GDJMSP

That's fine, but if you want it to count you gotta play by the rules just like everybody else ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted