Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection as of July 28, 2017

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 28, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

[​IMG]

July 28, 2017: Two coins in and two out, since last time. Both of these updates involved the addition of US pieces, in the more "modern" third category (World & US Coins). In the Ancients category, there are no new coins since last update, but there are some new pictures of some of them, which were shot by one of America's premier numismatic photographers. However, those updated, re-shot images may or may not make it into this update. As of this initial post I'm still using the old pictures. (If my editing window doesn't expire, I'll put the new pictures in once they've been uploaded.)

Most of the raw, unslabbed material seen below is about to be submitted for certification and encapsulation. You might also notice that quite a few coins (in fact, the last additions for nearly a year) still lack hyperlinks, meaning they do not yet have individual writeups. I was going to catch up on writing those before posting this update, but since so many of coins are going off to be slabbed, I figured I might as well wait until the grades are in before I create individual subthreads for those coins. Then I can post full writeups with slab pictures and grades and cert page links and all that.

Last update: June 22, 2017.
    Archives of earlier updates in my sig line index.

As always, thanks for looking at my small, ever-evolving collection.

~R.W. Shinnick, St. Simons Island, Georgia, 7/28/17

Oh, and thanks again @Deacon Ray, for the Photoshop wizardry and fun "treasure box" montage you see below. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

Ancient Greece (Ionia, Phokaia): electrum hekte, Athena and quadripartite punch, ca. 478-387 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw- this is a temporary photo)

Ancient Greece (Corinth): silver stater featuring Pegasos and Athena, ca. 345-307 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

Ancient Greece (Spartans in Taras, Calabria, Italy): silver drachm, Athena and owl, ca. 302-281 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

Ancient Greece (Kingdom of Macedon): silver "Mercenaries" drachm of King Perseus, ca. 175-170 BC
    [​IMG]

(NGC Ch MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5)

Ancient Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC
    [​IMG]

(NGC Ch VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5)

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

Ancient Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I, ca. 527-565 AD
    [​IMG]

(NGC MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, "wrinkled")

LaCointessa, Swan, Ajax and 9 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS63; pop 2/1; tied with one other for second-finest graded by PCGS)

Turkey (Seljuq Sultanate of Rum): silver "Lion & Sun" dirham of Kaykhusraw II, AH 638 (1240-1241 AD)
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type goldgulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472
    [​IMG]

(PCGS Genuine; XF details, "Filed Rims"; soon to be attempted at NGC for a straight grade)

Belgium (Brabant): gold florin (Carolus d’or) of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, ca. 1521-1545
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615
    [​IMG]

(PCGS XF45; pop. 1/0 - the finest - and only - example certified by PCGS as of mid-2017)

LaCointessa, Aunduril, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden/36 schillings), 1739
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU58; pop. 1/0 - the finest - and only - example certified by PCGS as of mid-2017)

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw- another temporary image)

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales ("Pillar Dollar"), 1761, Mexico City mint
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU50; pop. 4/8 as of mid-2017)

Belgium (Austrian Netherlands): copper 2 liards (2 Oorden), Insurrection coinage, 1790
    [​IMG]

(NGC MS63 BN; pop. 3/4 as of mid-2017)

Great Britain: gilt copper proof halfpenny of George III, Soho Mint, 1806
    [​IMG]

(PCGS PR65 DCAM, ex-NGC PR64 CAM; the second-finest graded example at PCGS as of mid-2017)

Great Britain: silver shilling of George IV, off-center mint error, ca. 1826-1829
    [​IMG]

(PCGS XF40; no population data exists, but a rare error for this type)

United States: silver Capped Bust half dollar, 1834 (large date, small letters)

[​IMG]
    (PCGS AU55; CAC; pop. 148/223 as of mid-2017)

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS VF30; CAC; pop. 16/157 as of mid-2017)

Liberia: proof copper cent, 1847
    [​IMG]

(PCGS PR65 BN; ex-NGC PF64 BN; the finest example
    graded by either service as of mid-2017)

France: copper specimen striking of a 10-centime pattern (essai), 1848
    [​IMG]

(PCGS SP65 RB; pop. 1/0 - the finest - and only - example graded by PCGS as of mid-2017)

Japan (Meiji Era): gold/electrum Nibu-Kin (2 bu), ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU55; pop. 69/24 as of mid-2017)

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection
    [​IMG]

PCGS MS64; pop. 10/5 as of mid-2017)

United States: copper "Hard Times" token, C.D. Peacock Jewelers, Chicago, backdated "1837" (actually struck ca. 1902)

[​IMG]
    (PCGS MS63 BN; pop. 1/0 - the finest - and only - example certified by PCGS as of mid-2017)

LaCointessa, Aunduril, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Here's what has changed since last time.

The "two in, two out" this time involved no cash transactions. Both were even swaps.

In the first trade, I swapped this...

United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863
    [​IMG]

(NGC MS65 BN)

... for this, in a swap deal publicly discussed here.

United States: copper "Hard Times" token, C.D. Peacock Jewelers, Chicago, backdated "1837" (actually struck ca. 1902)

[​IMG]
    (PCGS MS63 BN)

In the second swap deal, I traded this...

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723
    [​IMG]

(PCGS MS63+, formerly NGC MS64)

... for this, which I made the subject of a "GtG" (guess the grade) poll here.

United States: silver Capped Bust half dollar, 1834 (large date, small letters)

[​IMG]
    (PCGS AU55; CAC)

In terms of historical interest, grade, and perhaps eye appeal, my partner in the second swap might've gotten the better of the trade when he swapped me that Bust half for the Mint State 1723-SSC shilling, but he sweetened the deal with a free "holey" 1852 gold dollar as a completely generous gesture, which quite surprised me.

And the Bust half, being a popular US type, in PCGS plastic, with a CAC sticker, will be easier for me to "flip" towards a future addition to the box later. I had been looking at Bust halves. This one does not have the pastel toning I had been hoping for, but it does have nice luster, and it's perfectly welcome to reside in the Eclectic Box for a while.

LaCointessa, Aunduril, Jaelus and 9 others like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

such an amazing collection. the more I see your eclectic box the more I would like to collect that way. but how do you condense 900+ coins down to that ? lol I realy like that Turkey sun and lion coin. so interesting looking. my favorite still is the Switzerland "city view/Lion". it is so amazing on so many levels for me. The Liberia: proof copper cent, 1847 seemed so out of place for me. is there a special reason it is in your collection ? I am starting to see a pattern of diferent time frames and eye appeal. will you ever be content with a final selection box ? envy is the word my friend.

Jaelus likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Thanks, 'Yoda! :)

That Seljuq "Lion & Sun" piece was actually one of the most inexpensive pieces in the current box, having cost barely over a hundred bucks.

The cityview Zurich piece is, as you say, amazing on many different levels. I could not have afforded it if it were a Mint State example (it's "only" an AU58), and as a half-thaler it's not as valuable as some of the full- or multiple-thalers would be, but it was within my reach (just), and I had to have it. I had a 1768 Nurnberg cityview thaler once, but it was much more modest in grade (a VF25), and while nice, it didn't remotely touch this 1739 Zurich piece.

The 1847 Liberian proof cent is not out of place at all. It is the finest example graded (PCGS pop 1/0 in all grades; none higher at either service)! It used to be in an NGC PF64 BN holder (Pop 4/0 in that grade; was then tied with three others for finest graded) but I cracked it out last year and got that sweet upgrade.

Plus I've always loved that design, and it is presently the only coin representing Africa in my collection. Sure, that Liberty head, while lovely, is rather Anglo-Saxon-looking for an African coin, but remember, it was the early 19th century, in the era of colonialism, so a "caucasian" looking portrait would not have been politically incorrect or racist at the time. And in that design you can definitely see the influence of the United States on Liberia's history.

Besides, it's a 170-year-old proof coin! I have at least one other collector who's expressed an interest in buying it if I ever tire of it (which won't be anytime soon). And there is no higher praise another collector can give you than an unsolicited buy offer! So that is actually one of my better pieces.

Will I ever be content with a "final box"?

Probably not until I'm lowered into the ground in my own "final box". :dead:;)

Such are the whims of being a collector.

LaCointessa, Jaelus, dadams and 4 others like this.
  9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I'm not seeing the new images (the Peacock and the half, nor the one in the first post that might be the montage photo). Most excellent collection LordM!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Thank you for telling me that. I keep forgetting that you can't grab images out of PMs. You have to save and upload them elsewhere first.

When I get an image URL directly out of a PM (the three you mentioned all came from a PM by @Deacon Ray, as he did the Photoshop edits), then I can see them (while logged in), but nobody else can (except maybe Deacon Ray?)

I'll have to get the URLs from my Gallery uploads instead.

Thanks! It would've been a long time before I knew the pix were bad!

11. lordmarcovan

@Stork (or anyone else) - seeing the "Treasurebox" montage in the OP?

How about the 1834 USA Bust half?

And the Peacock token at the end?

I think I have 'em fixed so they're publicly viewable now (of course I could see 'em all along).

Guess I'll have to log off now and look ...

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

both are there now and look great.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I see them--beautiful!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

The peacock may have finally dethroned the 1842-D $5 as my favorite coin in the group.... nice coins!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I really like that bust half!:woot: But what else would you expect from a US collector?

Actually, the entire collection is outstanding!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There's one hell of a lesson in this thread for anyone willing to see and take it to heart.

Kudos, sir; excellent presentation!

lordmarcovan and spirityoda like this.
  17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Love the peacock.

lordmarcovan and jester3681 like this.
  18. Swan

Swan A millon dollars short of being a millionaire

Amazing collection. Thanks for sharing.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Loving that 8 Reales!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Same here, that coin is just amazing. (not that the rest are slouches at all)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I think it was an excellent addition to the collection! :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted