Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection as of June 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 22, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

[​IMG]

The former "Eclectic Box of 20" has undergone an expansion from a "Box of 20" to a "Box of 25". (I've been using a 25-count slab box for more than a year anyway.) As such, due to the 20-image-per-post limitation here on CoinTalk, I'm breaking it up into separate categories, as you'll see below.

Many thanks to my talented Photoshop-savvy friends: @Deacon Ray, for the new little category banners, and @brg5658, for assistance with the "shadowbox" templates of the latest "newps" (new purchases).

[​IMG]

Ancient Greece (Ionia, Phokaia): electrum hekte, Athena and quadripartite punch, ca. 478-387 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw- this is a temporary photo)

Ancient Greece (Corinth): silver stater featuring Pegasos and Athena, ca. 345-307 BC
    [​IMG]

(Presently raw)

Ancient Greece (Spartans in Taras, Calabria, Italy): silver drachm, Athena and owl, ca. 302-281 BC
    [​IMG]
    (Presently raw)

Ancient Greece (Kingdom of Macedon): silver "Mercenaries" drachm of King Perseus, ca. 175-170 BC
    [​IMG]
    (NGC Ch MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5)

Ancient Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC
    [​IMG]
    (NGC Ch VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5)

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD
    [​IMG]
    (Presently raw)

Ancient Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I, ca. 527-565 AD
    [​IMG]
    (NGC MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, "wrinkled")

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS MS63)

Turkey (Seljuq Sultanate of Rum): silver "Lion & Sun" dirham of Kaykhusraw II, AH 638 (1240-1241 AD)

[​IMG]
    (Presently raw)

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type goldgulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS Genuine; XF details, "Filed Rims")

Belgium (Brabant): gold florin (Carolus d’or) of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, ca. 1521-1545
    [​IMG]
    (Presently raw)

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS XF45)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS MS63+, formerly NGC MS64)

Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden/36 schillings), 1739
    [​IMG]

(PCGS AU58)

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]
    (Presently raw- another temporary image)

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales ("Pillar Dollar"), 1761, Mexico City mint
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS AU50)

Belgium (Austrian Netherlands): copper 2 liards (2 Oorden), Insurrection coinage, 1790

[​IMG]
    (NGC MS63 BN)

Great Britain: gilt copper proof halfpenny of George III, Soho Mint, 1806
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS PR65 DCAM, formerly NGC PR64 CAM)

Great Britain: silver shilling of George IV, off-center mint error, ca. 1826-1829
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS XF40)

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS VF30; CAC)

Liberia: proof copper cent, 1847
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS PR65 BN)

France: copper specimen striking of a 10-centime pattern (essai), 1848
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS SP65 RB)

United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863
    [​IMG]
    (NGC MS65 BN)

Japan (Meiji Era): gold/electrum Nibu-Kin (2 bu), ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS AU55)

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS MS64)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  5. lordmarcovan

6. lordmarcovan

Here's what's new this time around:

Ancient Greece (Ionia, Phokaia): electrum hekte, Athena and quadripartite punch, ca. 478-387 BC
    [​IMG]

Ancient Greece (Corinth): silver stater featuring Pegasos and Athena, ca. 345-307 BC
    [​IMG]

Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden/36 schillings), 1739
    [​IMG]

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]

Japan (Meiji Era): gold/electrum Nibu-Kin (2 bu), ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]

7. lordmarcovan

Here's what was sold since last time:

Ancient Greece (Pontos, Amisos): silver drachm or siglos featuring Hera and owl, ca. late 5th to 4th century BC
    [​IMG]

Ancient Roman Empire: silver denarius of Septimius Severus, "Dea Caelestis" type, ca. 193-211 AD
    [​IMG]

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

A joy to behold . . .

spirityoda and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks, Lord Marc! Those were just "warm up" layouts. I'm planning to send you more to choose from now that I have a better concept of the "Modern World & U.S." category.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

an amazing collection. all great in their own way. my favorite of the lot would have to be the Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden/36 schillings), 1739. 1 because I like that lion and because I like that city view. nice early dated coin. = amazing coin.:cool:

11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I love the Japan Meiji era gold specimen
    Ive owned quite a few of the silver ichibu including a nice pcgs 58, but the gold is a sight to behold

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's a very interesting way of collecting. It would be very hard for me to get it down to 20 coins (at present around 1,700 coins). way down the road maybe 2 eclectic boxes of 50 or 4 boxes of 100. lol

Coinlover67 likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Thank you! That's a pretty fresh newp, from just the last few weeks.

I've wanted a cityview for a while. The lion was just icing on the cake, since I already had a rampant lion on that 1790 Belgian insurrection piece.

spirityoda likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Also a brand new purchase, from right here on CT via @jwitten, whose taste for toned gold I share and appreciate. I had a PCGS XF45 a while back. This one is not only 10 points better but also has some nice traces of iridescence.

That also happens to presently be the least expensive coin in the box (lots of bang for the buck there!) and I needed a non-round-shaped coin for variety's sake. I also needed a Far Eastern coin.

heavycam.monstervam and jwitten like this.
  15. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Wonderful collection.

That Aethelred II silver is just outstanding... Such a fascinating period of history.

Thanks for sharing!

16. lordmarcovan

Indeed. Has that whole "Viking age" mystique. That one is quite obviously a hoard coin but unfortunately the specific provenance of the source hoard is now unknown.

That one's in my "Top Three", sentimentally, along with the Macedonian "Mercenaries" drachm I got from @AncientJoe, and the 1806 gilt proof British halfpenny I got from @yarm.

I waited 19 years for @Aethelred to sell me that Aethelred II penny. It is his onetime "signature" piece; his very namesake he based his username on, more than a decade ago. I was astonished to end up with it, but I parted with some nice Romans in the deal. He's much more focused on ancients, then and now.

He almost got the coin back, recently, but it remains mine... for now.

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

One fine collection, me Lord

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Nice collection!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Thanks again to @Deacon Ray for the further tweaking of the category banners and the Photoshop template of the new Taras, Calabria owl drachm (third one down in the ancients).

So now it is a "Box of 24". It will be up to the new quota of 25 as soon as I decide what the last piece is going to be.

20. lordmarcovan

And now, at last, it is a "Box of 25". :)

Turkey (Seljuk Sultanate of Rum): silver "Lion & Sun" dirham of Kaykhusraw II, AH 638 (1240-1241 AD)
    [​IMG]

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can't see the lion & sun coin...maybe because I'm on my phone...

Wonderful collection!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted