United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 21, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863

[​IMG]

(The truly wretched slab images were "borrowed" from the NGC cert page, until I get a chance to make another set.)
    [​IMG]

Obverse: Monitor type ironclad warship sailing left over waves, US flag on stern, guns firing forward from turret.
    Reverse: Date within wreath (laurel sprig at left, oak at right), anchor above, crossed cannons and three cannonballs below.

Fuld 237/423a. NGC MS65 BN, cert. #3184777-012. Ex-"friscomint1793" (eBay), 3/13/14.

As a child, I built model kits of the epic Civil War adversaries USS Monitor and CSS Virginia (aka "Merrimack"). Numismatically, I wanted one of these "Monitor" tokens and in the spring of 2014 I had actually purchased a nice colorful one graded NGC MS63 BN, but the seller told me it had been stolen from their inventory at a show. I got a refund, of course, but was a bit disappointed. However, Collectors Universe member "Broadstruck", who has advised me on token matters before, pointed out this one. It is actually graded two points higher than the one I'd bought before, and with the Best Offer feature on eBay, I ended up getting it for significantly less than the previous MS63 I'd bought! Furthermore, I got it for less than half what it had sold for in the 2010 Stacks-Bowers Baltimore sale! So needless to say, I was very pleased, and owe Broadstruck a debt of gratitude.

Miscellaneous links:
    Larger image
    NGC cert verification page
    Stacks-Bowers auction archive (2010 Baltimore Sale, Lot #21, realized $345.00)

Wikipedia links:
    Civil War token
    USS Monitor
    Battle of Hampton Road

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I too have Broadstruck to thank; a few years ago we met up at the Baltimore show, I told him I was interested in Monitor tokens and in short order he had led me around to a number of dealers and I had pretty much put together a set, including a very scarce white metal variety. Frank is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge. That's a really nice example, Lord M. Let me know if you get to Va some time and we'll go to the Mariner's museum and look at the Real Deal.

green18 likes this.
  4. ksparrow

Here's a cool medal of the ironclads duking it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Actually, I thought the outcome was a 'draw'. The Confederates scuttled the ship to keep it out of Union hands.

Smojo and jester3681 like this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Those are great tokens.
    I have a lot of Civil War era stuff, paper money, uniforms, flags. But very few tokens.
    I really should look in to expanding on tokens and coinage.

7. ksparrow

Technically a draw, in that neither vessel crippled or sank the other. I think most historians view it as a Union victory, as the Monitor kept the Virginia from sinking the rest of the Union fleet at Hampton Roads, and bottled her up in the James River until she had to be blown up to avoid capture as McClellan advanced up the Peninsula.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@ksparrow - oh, my, that's a stunner! Thanks for posting it!

Draft saved Draft deleted