Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 7, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

(September 2016- note for CoinTalk readers: since this collection contains Ancient, World, and US coins as well as exonumia, I'm putting it in the "Coin Chat" forum for lack of any better ideas. It is mostly copied and pasted from Collectors Universe. As of this posting, all the hyperlinks go to subthreads over there, until I can get everything reposted over here... assuming I ever get that far! Over on CU, I periodically bump it when additions or changes are made to the set. Please forgive any faux pas- I only recently started using this 2007 account here, so I'm a "nine-year newbie"!)

~*~*~ Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection ~*~*~

In 2013, I decided to pare down my collections and simplify to a single "Box of 20" for everything, hopefully to focus a bit more on quality than quantity. Still, pursuing quality is an ongoing challenge on my budget.

The idea is a freestyle "Box of 20" collection with no parameters or restrictions except that the coins must be certified and the collection is limited to twenty pieces. (When one comes in, another must go out.) Otherwise, anything goes.

In a way, I have narrowed my focus by limiting myself to just twenty slabbed pieces, but on the other hand, I've opened up my horizons to pursue whatever catches my fancy, be it ancient, medieval, modern, or even some tokens and medals. It sort of feels liberating to be freed of the constraints of collecting "sets". Now I can collect what I like and not be a slave to any predetermined "structure". But as the coins get nicer, I suspect it will become more and more difficult sentimentally for me to stick to the "one in, one out" rule.

Ancient Greece (Thessaly), silver "Rhodian Mercenaries" drachm struck by King Perseus of Macedon, ca. 175-170 BC

[​IMG]

Ancient Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC

[​IMG]

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD

[​IMG]

Ancient Roman Empire: orichalcum sestertius of Hadrian, struck ca. 134-138 AD, ex-Boston Museum of Fine Arts

[​IMG]

Ancient Roman Empire: silver denarius of Septimius Severus, ca. 193-211 AD

[​IMG]

Ancient Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I, ca. 527-565 AD

[​IMG]

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD

[​IMG]

Medieval Croatia (Ragusa): silver grosso portraying St. Blasius and Christ, ca. 1372-1438

[​IMG]

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

[​IMG]

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4 thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, undated (ca. 1615)

[​IMG]

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723

[​IMG]

France: silver jeton of Louis XV, "Aurora in cloud chariot", undated (ca. 1740)

[​IMG]

Great Britain: gilt proof halfpenny of George III, Soho Mint, 1806

[​IMG]

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)

[​IMG]

United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863

[​IMG]

United States: proof copper-nickel 3-cent piece, Liberty head type, 1888

[​IMG]

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection

[​IMG]

German States (Saxony) silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E

[​IMG]

USA: silver commemorative half dollar, Pilgrim Tercentenary, 1920

[​IMG]

Canada: gold 100-dollars proof of Elizabeth II, Canadian Unity commemorative, 1978

[​IMG]

Oh- and if anybody cares that much (which I have difficulty imagining), there are archives showing the evolution of this set from its humble beginnings. Those are in the second post of the Collectors Universe thread.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

*whew*

OK, I think all the hyperlinks work now. I had to fix the code 'cause the code from the quirky CU site doesn't work here. The bright side is that I think if I copy and paste the code from here to the NGC boards, it should work there?

Eventually I guess I could start a gallery here, too.

Should also note that as of this first post in early September 2016, the set as seen above is already outdated. The 1913 Saxony proof 3-mark is gone, as is the 1978 Canadian $100 gold piece. I sold those to finance the purchase of a proper dSLR camera setup and accessories, which is something I've been needing to do for at least a decade. All the nice pics and slick Photoshop templates you see above are other people's work. I'm still struggling up the learning and equipment curves in that regard.

I have replacements for those two coins that just went away, but one is off at PCGS and the other is still pending as of this post, so they'll have to wait until the next update.

If you've read all of this, you're a patient soul. Thanks.

Deacon Ray, mikenoodle, VDB and 8 others like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Beautiful collection. :)

Eaglefawn likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

amazing collection. wow :jawdrop::cool:

Eaglefawn likes this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

very nice thanks for sharing

7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I really like the civil war token. Never seen that one before

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Great looking set, Lord M, covers a lot of time and territory! Look forward to the updates.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice! So you really only have twenty coins?

10. lordmarcovan

Well, only twenty in my slabbed set, at any given time.

I do have a secondary collection of (raw) engraved coins (love tokens and hobo carvings and such- interesting "creatively damaged" coins), which I will post when I catch up on imaging those (after I get my new camera setup).

Paul M. and Jwt708 like this.
  11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well those sure are some nice coins and an interesting mix.

13. lordmarcovan

Thanks, all.

Actually, as of this post, two of the coins shown above (the Ragusa grosso and the Teutonic Order 1/4 thaler) are off being graded at PCGS, and two of the ancients (the Vespasian Capricorn denarius and the Hadrian sestertius) have yet to make the journey to NGC Ancients.

14. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Vewy, vewy ecwectic!

(If Elmer Fudd were admiring your collection)

lordmarcovan and Eaglefawn like this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

If you are only going to have 20, those are really quite nice and obviously thoughtfully selected coins. Congratulations!

Maybe add one representative spanish colonial piece?

(If I may say so, and I do not mean to be presumptuous, please reconsider putting those ancients in a slab - one loses the incomparable feeling you get when holding 2000 years history in your hands.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    hoth2, Eaglefawn, Cucumbor and 3 others like this.
  16. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Beautiful coins Lord M! That Civil War Monitor token is ultra cool.

Very nice and well thought out collection. Thanks for sharing!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I still miss the hat and vest, but very nice box of 20.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very nice...I hate you:yack::yack::yack:

Eaglefawn likes this.
  19. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

Those are outstanding, Lord M. Good to see you here as well as "there!"

Lehigh96 likes this.
  20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Outstanding coins!

The freestyle aspect of the collection is appealing — my tastes run toward the eclectic — but no way I could limit myself to 20. 50, maybe, but no way 20.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My limit would be more like 200. :p Actually, probably more like 2000, lol. :)

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted