Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 19, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obverse: St. John the Baptist, standing and facing, "S.IOHANNES-BABTISTA" (lion).
    Reverse: coats of arms, "+ DVX.ARNOLD'.GEL.Z.IVL.Z.COMIS.Z."

PCGS Genuine ("Filed Rims- XF Details"), cert. #32089335. Ex-Hans Verschoor (Netherlands), from his rondomons.nl website, 10/21/14. Purchased raw.

I'd had my eye on a coin of this type for at least six months before I purchased this one, which had a better strike and a nice flan. The toning was a major selling point for me as well. The subsequent PCGS "Genuine/Details" grade was a disappointment. Their "Filed Rims" notation must mean they saw some traces of clipping on the edge, which is fairly common on precious metal hammered medieval coinage. I personally saw no such traces and will likely submit the coin to NGC for a second opinion, now that I have good images from the PCGS TrueViews. I'm hoping it will receive a "straight" grade, but even if it doesn't, I'm fond of this coin and like the toning on it.

Miscellaneous links:
    PCGS cert verification page (w/TrueView image link)

Wikipedia links:
    Arnold, Duke of Guelders
    Guelders (historical duchy)
    Gelderland (modern province)
    John the Baptist

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Got my eye on this one :)

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

And I on one of yours.

Hmmm...

5. Mat