Help Two CT'ers Work Out a Token Trade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Is this an even trade?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2017.
  1. Yes - Even Stevens.

62.5%
  2. The Monitor is worth more - jester3681 needs to cough up some money.

20.8%
  3. The Peacock is worth more - lordmarcovan needs to pay the piper.

16.7%
  1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Hello CT! Rob (@lordmarcovan) and I have been negotiating a trade on two tokens beloved in our respective collections, that really ought to be in the other's. We're very close to a deal, and we have decided to put it before the community at large to determine the most equitable arrangement for the two of us. Please participate in the poll and post any notes to follow.

Rob's Token: Our Little Monitor Civil War Token (F-237/423a, R.1) NGC MS65BN
    USA-MonitorCWT-1863-016565-coin-v2.jpg
    This token is in the Eclectic Box of 25 at the moment, and found its way into Rob's collection via Lucas Baldridge at friscomint1793 on eBay. It was previously sold at Stack's 2010 Baltimore show.

My Token: C.D. Peacock "Hard Times" Token (HT-M21; Low-366, R.2) PCGS MS63BN
    81865317_max.jpg
    This token was from my personal collection, recently on the market to free up capital for my primary numismatic pursuit - Civil War tokens. Although not a true Hard Times token (research shows this piece was struck in 1902 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Peacock's business), it is typically grouped with them due to the size and the 1837 date. I purchased this token raw and submitted - it lives in a Secure Holder, hence the TrueView images.

So - here's the question. Is this an even trade, or does one or the other need to come to the table with some additional money? I'll set the poll to close on Saturday, and I suppose we'll live with the results either way!

Seattlite86 and lordmarcovan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

Also, full disclosure, the census data is as follows:

Monitor - NGC has 5 in MS65BN with none finer, PCGS has none in 65 (64 is the top). Both TPGs have examples in RB (N-65, P-64) with none in RD.

Peacock - PCGS has this 1 as its sole graded example. NGC has 4 in MS63BN with none finer, but does have several in RB including a 66. None in RD at either TPG.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

As the Car Talk guys would say, I'll happily give you an answer that is unencumbered by the thought process. Not really true, I've thought about it but have no actual facts to support my conclusion.

To me an R1 65 should be pretty much equal to an R2 63.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Both are beautiful and I would be happy to own either.
    In fact, you two should just send them to me and the problem will be solved. :p

6. jester3681

Man, I didn't think of that. Let me edit the poll... :wacky::D

lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

After a bit of ebay searching, I see the most expensive "Our Little Monitor" sold at $220 for an Anacs MS 63 BN with nice toning. I would imagine that @lordmarcovan example should have a premium for the higher grade and the toning. I also see that @jester3681 has the CD Peacock example for 350 or best offer. I don't see any similar examples sold (raw ones aren't the best comparison). This is a hard one to judge!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1863-Patriotic-Civil-War-Token-239-421a-OUR-LITTLE-MONITOR-Attractive-toning-/262961142026?hash=item3d39b4990a:g:u5oAAOSwtfhYrNk~&nma=true&si=M2VpmIAT1yNgmpKvI%2BV7PyLbSUY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

lordmarcovan and jester3681 like this.
  8. jester3681

I can raise the price of that sale, if it will help with valuation purposes. [emoji2]

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think they're about the same.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Fair enough!
    I was using it as an upper max for your price = $350-ebay fees
    The "Our Little Monitor" would be $220+extra premium for higher grade.

It very well could be that the prices are even.
    Hopefully others chime in and you two can make a deal!

Stork and jester3681 like this.
  11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I feel like the peacock has more of a cool factor, plus the clock reverse is way cool!

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The monitor is quite an impressive example when it come to civil war tokens, If I didn't have it I would definitely be interested in paying a premium, Impressive @lordmarcovan. The Peacock is a well done piece of art, wonderful tones and a very eye appealing coin, I think It deserves a good handshake, call it even.

lordmarcovan, jester3681 and Paddy54 like this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Since ddddd, beat me to it...I can't play the send them to me card... :( However I find both specimens to be equally appreciated by both traders. I personally would love either in my collection and Neither fits into what I collect . :jawdrop:
    With the appreciation factors being equal I feel that the trade is fair to both parties .
    I'm sure both will treasure each specimen and should down the road decided to sell
    Either piece the seller would offer first choice to the other trader.

Then PM me lol....;)

ddddd, lordmarcovan and jester3681 like this.
  14. jester3681

I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think at this point the trade is understood - we're just trying to determine the exact terms. ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

If the community at large includes the parties involved in the transaction, shouldn't they both be voting?

jester3681 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ok we are fine with that . ......however what in it for us?
    Maybe a poll tax...... let's say 25% of the final value price of both items to be shared by all whom voted.
    :)

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Even Stevens

jester3681 likes this.
  18. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

I find the Peacock to be stunning.
    If it were me I'd keep the peacock!
    It's a close value but feel the peacock would bring $50-$75 more on the market. It's close to a wash though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Remember when you were a kid trading baseball cards with the other kids in the neighborhood? I do. If I liked your card and you liked my card, we traded. It was simple. We never considered relative value. We didn't bring the rest of the neighborhood in as arbitrators or negotiators.

Beefer518, jester3681 and sakata like this.
  20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Both are lovely, and an even trade would be appropriate IMO. Congrats to both new owners. :cigar:

jester3681 likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, but this is more fun and informative, and since we're both cool with "going public" in the discussion, why not? ;)

For what it's worth, since @jester3681 needs that specific variety of the Monitor token for his specialized collection, and my "Eclectic Box" collection is the very opposite of specialized, and I like his proferred Peacock trade, the basic fundamentals here are agreed.

The only thing at issue is my "sentimental attachment tax". In other words, the additional $20-25 "sweetener" I'm shaking him down for. ;)

Really, it is pretty much agreed otherwise. Though of course the "Swapper's Golden Rule" applies - no deal is final until both parties express satisfaction.

Both of us have agreed to abide by the poll results.

Will he owe me $20-25 more? (Let's call it $20.)

Or is it to be "even-Stevens"?

Poll seems to be favoring the latter, presently. I'm good with it either way. Already enjoying the "banter of the barter".

Thank you to those like @ddddd who put some thought and research into their replies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Seattlite86 and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted