[Ancients] It’s Time! The Second Annual Coin Imperator Tournament (2018)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'll chant right along with you. (Perhaps even more so, for reasons that will become clear... ;))

Jay GT4 and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Well... I may have misrepresented myself with the "Greece" thing.

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I look forward to uncovering the extent of your deception tomorrow... alea iacta est! (That is not a hint.)

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Too funny. That was the theme-quote at my wedding (2nd wife) :)

RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1.jpg
    RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint, year when crossing the Rubicon, Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

Bing, Johndakerftw, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    We are already halfway through with our Round 3 matches! If you haven't voted already we have some great matches going on right now.

IMG_6099.JPG
    [Poll-25] #4 ancientcoinguru vs #21 Ryro (Round 3) CIT 2018
    Crusader vs early imperial silvers go head to head in this entertaining match up. This battle is by no means over yet so make sure to cast your vote if you haven't done so already!

IMG_6100.GIF
    [Poll-26] #10 Cucumbor vs #15 Jay GT4 (Round 3) CIT 2018
    Q and J are neck and neck in this epic race to the finish line. A few projectiles, prods, some witty banter and a super close score make this thread a must read. Mysterious imperial gold vs classic republican silver. Love it coin-friends.

It might not be till later his evening till I post the next match up... let the suspense commence :)

Note to the Spectators
    Since I will be tied up at work pretty thoroughly for the next few days any help with keeping the active matches (especially the close ones) on page 1 with a few timely *bumps* would be much appreciated :)

Since we only have 4 matches this round we shouldn't be clogging up the board too much :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    Our final two matches of Round 3 are up and running.

IMG_6130.JPG
    [Poll-27] #14 iamtiberius vs #27 Severus Alexander (Round 3) CIT 2018
    If Batman decided to travel back in time to a galaxy far, far away so he could punch Darth Vader in the helmet the resulting throw down would be... this match up. That doesn't make any sense you say? Doesn't have to. Just enjoy the match and vote folks. :)

IMG_6131.JPG
    [Poll-28] #24 Pavlos vs #32 zumbly (Round 3) CIT 2018
    Another great battle that will be too close to call till the end. Greek vs Roman, book club vs butterfly, coin-hungry cyborg vs ab-conscious Greek... oh yeah!

Ryro, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    I have had a few people ask me about the schedule for the semifinal round. I am trying to space it out a bit to help accommodate the schedule of one or two of the participants over the stretch run :) Plus I've also been out of town traveling for the last week so the longer timeline has worked out well for all participants :shy:

Long story short we will be kicking off Monday or Tuesday of next week (Sept. 24 / 25). Don't worry though we have some great matches and it will be absolutely worth the wait!

Sunday or Monday I will post the latest statistics and summary of Round 3. Hope to see you all voting soon. :woot::woot:

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What I'm hearing is that you need a contender to step back in. Have no fear @Curtisimo I happen to know a guy...
    Fs3.gif
    (Ryro eyeing those championship rounds)

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Are some contenders fearing to be defeated ?

[​IMG]

:D Q

Curtisimo, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  11. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I will not be behind anyone, but first in the fight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But sorry guys I am the one delaying it a bit, I got a new project at work and need to make a lot of over hours including the weekend unfortunately.

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You're the weakest link !
    You're fired !!!

Just jokes my friend :) :)
    Q

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Haha Ryro-Tyson sounds like a scary contender... I should have included in the rules that there will be no ear biting in this competition sir!

All sane mortals fear the mighty Q :wacky:

@Pavlos ,
    Don't feel bad my friend. You weren't the only one who asked to space out the last two rounds a bit. Plus it has actually worked better for me as I've been out of town a lot lately.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Justin Lee, Cucumbor and Ryro like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    We are the bulk of the way through our tournament with only the championship rounds remaining! Congratulations to our players who have made the semifinals.

@Pavlos @ancientcoinguru @Cucumbor @Severus Alexander

As with last year we can see the scope of the tournament as a global competition with our 4 finalist each representing a different country just as last year.

Round 3 Results
    Round_3_Results.png

Statistical Breakdown of Round 3 Matches
    Types of Coins Played

Since most of you are familiar with the format of how the statistical breakdowns have gone in previous rounds I have decided to post a shortened version relying mostly on the same charts and graphs of the same format as previous breakdowns.

Also as we get further along the data will tend to change less dramatically as there are less matches in these later rounds.

Metal Type
    Metal_Type-R3.jpg

Culture (i.e. Greek, Roman, Chinese etc.)
    Culture-R3.jpg

Number of Categories Won in Round 3
    In all 4 matches of Round 3 the winner won 2 out of 3 categories.

Comments
    Silver and Roman coins have proved to be the most popular coins with tournament players in the metal / culture types. Bronze and Greek coins came in a respectable 2nd place in those types with all other types proving much less numerous in the tournament.

Greek coins continued to be dominant in head to head matches with coins of other cultures with an 80% win percentage.

Medieval coins inched up in Round 3 to a respectable 50% win percentage (granted with only 4 matches) while Roman coins fell to a 47% win percentage when up against coins of different cultures.

The average margin of victory in Round 3 was 6.75 votes! 3 of the 4 matches were decided by the equivalent of 2 voters or less.

Voter Participation
    Voting Participation.png

Round 3 saw a mild downturn in voter participation despite some very close matches with lots of comments and views. Total votes fell to about 167 per match. The best that I can figure is that some voters that have voted in previous rounds were withholding one or more of their votes in Round 3.

Welcome to the Semifinals!!!
    Bracket.jpg

...and then there were 4 :)

Tentative Schedule
    As with previous rounds the below is subject to change!

September 25, 2018
    #10 @Cucumbor vs #27 @Severus Alexander

September 26, 2018
    #4 @ancientcoinguru vs #24 @Pavlos

Some great matches lined up and we are only a few match ups away from crowning our new champion... stay tuned friends.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    As some of you may have noticed my tentative schedule above has not gone on as anticipated. I hope to be able to post the last semifinal tomorrow!

... fear not though! We still have one of our matches up and running till this evening!

[Semifinal-1] #10 Cucumbor vs #27 Severus Alexander (CIT 2018)
    A coin that moonlights as a dinner plate takes on the rarest piece of a masterful collection. Great coins, great friends.
    IMG_6501.JPG

I will post the next match ASAP! Stay tune my friends :)

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Tournament Update
    Our final match of the semifinals is up and running.

[Semifinal-2] #4 ancientcoinguru vs #24 Pavlos (CIT 2018)
    A boar and a lion attack a guy riding home on his horse in this epic match up of Roman vs Greek silver. Don't miss your chance to vote in the last match up of the semifinals!

Stay tuned everyone as I expect the final matches will post much sooner than the semifinals did. We are approaching the crowning of our new Imperator!

Ryro, Pavlos and Johndakerftw like this.
  17. Pavlos

I was wondering, will there be a tournament for the 3rd place?

Curtisimo and Orielensis like this.
  18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Think of this like the first Olympics of the modern era....winner got a silver medal, everyone else got a kick in the rear end and a one way ticket to sports oblivion.

themes_electrotype_olympic_388692_624x352.jpg

We don't believe in 5th place ribbons or 3rd place bronze, or the fake first place medals of the 20th/21st century Olympics which is nothing but silver with a thin gold plating. Here we play by 1896 "Winner takes all" rules, which is also how the ancients did it. Go back to ancient Rome or ancient Greece and ask for a second place or third place award...they might end up tossing you to the lions after they stop laughing at the absurdity.

You think Zeus would be pleased with you asking to be rewarded for finishing third? What would Ares think of a warrior that demanded unearned honors?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Curtisimo and Pavlos like this.
  19. Pavlos

As a newbie I sacrificed atleast 1 rabbit to Ares everyday to succeed in the tournaments, I never gave up and both Zeus and Ares showed how much they appreciated that, my house is covered with lighting strikes at the moment!

Justin Lee, Curtisimo and TIF like this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Yes. If all the participants are willing we will have our championship match between @Severus Alexander and the winner of the current match as well as a match between @Cucumbor and the other participant from the current match.

There will be 4 medals given out whether Zeus and Ares like it or not! If they try to give us any trouble we will simply remind Zeus that we have lighting rods now so ha... and to Ares we will just remind him of how he got his butt kicked by Diomedes in the Illiad! Overrated diety if you ask me ;)

The medals are:
    Gold
    Electrum
    Silver
    Bronze

By making it to the finals you've already earned one of the 4... win or lose.

IMG_6512.JPG
    IMG_6513.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I would avoid going out during any storm for a while if I were you.

T_Zeus_UncleSam_Card.png

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted