[Semifinal-1] #10 Cucumbor vs #27 Severus Alexander (CIT 2018)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Sep 25, 2018.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Sep 28, 2018.
  1. Eye appeal (#10 Cucumbor)

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Best bargain (#10 Cucumbor)

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#10 Cucumbor)

39 vote(s)
    68.4%
  4. Eye appeal (#27 Severus Alexander)

49 vote(s)
    86.0%
  5. Best bargain (#27 Severus Alexander)

33 vote(s)
    57.9%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#27 Severus Alexander)

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Welcome to the semifinals of the 2018 Cointalk Coin Imperator Tournament. We have only a few matches left to go so I hope everyone will vote, comment and enjoy these last few fun write ups and coins.

Bracket.jpg

If you are unfamiliar with the tournament and want to get caught up on all the action you can feel free to reference the master thread below.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...annual-coin-imperator-tournament-2018.320328/

The winner of this match will move on to challenge for the radiate crown of the 2018 Imperator! Good luck to both participants and congratulations for making it this far!

............................................................​

#10 @Cucumbor

0140-505n-1.jpg
    O MARCO ANTONINO, Radiate head of Marcus Aurelius right
    CONSECRATIO, Altar
    23 mm - 3.84 gr
    Ref : RIC IV # 92a, Cohen # 1058
    In qblays catalog : MA08-P114
    Same dies as the example in the Bibliotheque nationale de France

Price: $233

Why It’s Cool (to me):
    Most of you CT friends already know how much I like the Divi series minted by the emperor Trajan Decius in 250-251 CE. Last year, on the occasion of the acquisition of the 21st out of 22 main existing types, I have extensively described the series in a featured thread that you can find here

Drumroll…..

What you see today is the 22nd and last one: Yes, I have now the set completed!!!

I started to collect them about 18 years ago, and even though I’ve been focused on other series and themes during this period of time, I’ve been chasing this particular one type for several years. The last one I missed at auction, although in much better condition, went for 1200 USD + fees.

The series consists in 22 main types, featuring 11 different emperors, each one being associated with two different reverses, either funeral altar or eagle. One can specialize even more, as there are some minor variations in the busts and, for Nerva and Marcus Aurelius only, in the obverse legend. Those honoring Marcus Aurelius are among the rarest of the series, together with Nerva, Hadrian and Septimius Severus. A quick search on acsearch showed up three examples with the DIVO MARCO obverse legend, and two only with the DIVO MARCO ANTONINO legend as my specimen.

Now, please, read what Harlan J. Berk wrote while selling a similar antoninianus in one of their Gemini auctions : “Joaquim Blay's online die catalogue of this coinage lists just five specimens of this particular type of Divus Marcus (RIC 92a), including our coin. It may therefore be considered to be the rarest regular type in the entire Divi series”

Diviseriess.jpg

Why It’s Cool (numismatically speaking):
    The Divi series serves to enlighten us modern observers to the vision that the ancients had back then of which emperors were worthy of being honored with a consecration issue. In other words, which emperors did the issuing authority of the time consider to be good emperors? We would certainly have the list revised today: not sure Commodus would fit the bill (see how naughty he is towards Russelus Maximus Crowus).

Gladiator.jpg

The Divi series is the only way to have an example of all these emperors in antoniniani.

The whole series is limited enough in volume and number of different types, that one can consider completing it in a reasonable period of time.

Because it was issued during a relatively short period of time, and with some unity in terms of style, the series allows us to better understand the minting process, the evolution of metal debasement during the Crisis of the Third Century and the connections between officinae and workshops.

Here’s a quote of my own study of the series, in an attempt to analyze and summarize these considerations: “Consecration programs usually copied the original type while adding elements identifying the Emperor who had them issued. That is not the case with these coins, there is no mention of Trajan Decius, so how do we know which emperor issued them?

For a long time, scholars, if they clearly situated these emissions in the middle of the third century, varied them in time, from the reign of Philip the Arab to that of Gallienus. The sumptuous celebrations of the Millennium of Rome in 248 CE under Philip, were the occasion of special monetary issues such as the "Saeculares" series and great was the temptation to associate there the tribute paid to the previous "good" emperors.

A more technical approach consisted, for a certain period of time, in comparing the weight of specimens from these emissions with that of different emperors of that time productions.

Joaquim Blay, in his corpus dedicated to the subject, studied more than 1000 examples of the Divi series, the weight of 600 of them being known. The average weight is 3.78 grams and has not changed after the 400th, assuming it’s the actual average weight of the entire series.

It is also known that weight and fineness of the antoninian went on decreasing throughout the third century, especially around 250 CE. Kenneth Harl works, quoted by Richard Beale, report an average weight of 4.12 grams for the antoninian under Philip the Arab with a silver content of 47.07%, 3.97 grams and 41.12% under Trajan Decius, 3.46 grams and 35.94% under Trebonian Gallus.

Admitting a certain continuity in the lowering of weight and silver content in these emissions, these elements will encourage us to situate the minting of the series during the reign of Trajan Decius.

But we must be careful not to conclude too hastily, for if we consider that in the preceding periods restoration coins were made via massive restrikes (see Titus programs in homage to Galba or those of Trajan for the Roman republic, for example), it’s necessary to take into account the presence of old specimens, at different weights and fineness, overstruck as antoninians in these emissions. These facts are attested by the presence in the Dorchester hoard of an antoninian honoring Augustus (DIVO AVGVSTO), still showing parts of the legend of a Caracalla denarius. Curtis Clay, for his part, reports in his own collection a specimen for Nerva, which also contains fragments of legend on the obverse as well as on the reverse that allow to attribute the undertype to Caracalla.

Moreover, the massive restrikes of 251 CE evidently began during the life of Trajan Decius. They were motivated by the urgent need for cash to meet the considerable expenses incurred by the war against the Goths on the Danube. Still in the Dorchester hoard are 24 coins showing identifiable traces of overstrike, among which 20 are coins of Decius, Etruscilla or their children as Caesars.

The study of treasures can help us to date more accurately this coinage. The Plevna hoard, in particular, contains no coin of the late Decius’ rule, nor of the other members of his family, causing to estimate the date of its burying at the beginning of 251 CE, probably in January (Curtis Clay). This treasure contains two coins of the DIVI series. On the other hand, the British Museum houses a DIVO VESPASIANO / VICTORIA AVG hybrid, the reverse type of which with Victory walking left can only be attributed to the beginning of Trajan Decius’ reign, the legend ending in AVG, excluding a joint reign, which would have imposed the "plural" AVGG (Curtis Clay).

However, the study of later treasures (Dorchester, Clamerey, Smederevo, Gibraltar) finds a somewhat larger proportion of these coins, leading to the conclusion of strikes being continued after the death of Trajan Decius, spilling over the reigns of Trebonian Gallus and his son Volusian. The presence of Divi / Trebonian or Divi / Volusian hybrids featuring a IVNONI MARTIALI reverse is further evidence of this if needed.

The place of issue of the DIVI series has long been attributed to the Milan mint. Nowadays, thanks to the die links study, which connect them with coins undoubtedly struck at Rome, everybody agrees to have them coming from this last mint. So many die links between antoniniani struck for different emperors reinforce the idea of a unique place of striking : the same reverse die is frequently associated with the obverse die of two emperors at least (sometimes up to four), a given obverse die may be associated with both an eagle or an altar. Jérôme Mairat pleads for a distribution in six workshops, the first being supposed to strike in the name of Trajan and the other five spreading out the rest of the emperors honored two by two. However, the comprehensive study of the die links tree established by Joaquim Blay reveals so many reverse dies associated with two or more different emperor obverses that more likely a single striking place was used.”

............................................................​

#27 @Severus Alexander

SA-4.jpg
    Ptolemy III Euergetes (246-222 BCE)
    AE octobol, Alexandria mint
    Obv: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right
    Rev: Eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right; E between legs
    Reference: Svoronos 446; SNG Copenhagen 142 (Ptolemy II); ptolemybronze.com (Dan Wolf) Ptolemy III Epsilon/lambda/plain series 4
    Ex Dattari collection
    93.27g, 46mm

Price: $325

Why It's Cool:
    You know you have a doozie when it makes TIF cry. You know you got a bargain when even Doug would pay that price. And you know your competition has his work cut out for him when your coin could flatten his into a wee splotch of unrecognizable French foil without even breaking a sweat. Please put your hands together for the heavyweight champ of CoinTalk, Mr. Ptolemy III Octobol!*

(Although for this coin, perhaps his Egyptian name is more appropriate: Hekennetjeruremetjetheref Qenunedjtinetjeruinebmenkhentameri Werpehtiiriahet Nebhebused-mi-ptahtatjenen Iuaennetjeruisnui Setepenre Sekhemankhenamun ankh-djet mery-Ptah. :wideyed: Or “Hek” to his friends.)

heavyweight.jpg

Numismatic interest
    In technical numismatic terminology, THIS COIN IS HUUUUGE!!! Why was such an enormous coin issued, when it surely must have been stunningly impractical? The reason is the scarcity of silver in Egypt (the early Pharaohs valued it even more than gold!), plus its closed economy whereby foreign silver was subject to mandatory exchange, normally for bronze. The result was that the common people were stuck with paying for a tetradrachm’s worth of goods with bronze weighing as much as a soup can (3 octobols). And I’ve heard Canadians complain about the weight of a $2 “toonie”: 7.3g. :rolleyes:

Ptolemaic bronze coinage is also interesting for its method of manufacture; on this coin you can see remains of the flan’s casting sprue, central dimple, and other evidence of flan preparation. For more information see this page at Classical Coins.

In addition, the coin is notable for having belonged to the towering figure of Egyptian numismatics, Giovanni Dattari. I’m willing to bet it was one of his favourites. (Did I mention that this coin is HUUUUGE!!? BTW, that’s with an “h”, not a “y.” :shifty:)

portrayals of ptolemy.jpg

Historical interest
    Ptolemy III was the grandson of two of Alexander’s greatest generals, Ptolemy I and Lysimachus, and he really lived up to his family heritage. According to historian E. R. Bevan, his land and sea invasion of the Seleucid Empire to avenge the imprisonment and eventual murder of his sister Berenice & her young son “was the greatest military triumph ever achieved by the house of Ptolemy.” (It is even described in the Book of Daniel; we also have part of Ptolemy’s own account, in the decree of Canopus.) It is uncertain how far Ptolemy’s armies penetrated into Asia, but he took much of Syria and certainly got as far as Babylon, and perhaps Persia. According to some admittedly doubtful accounts he even made it to India. (!)

As a result of the invasion, the Seleucid empire suffered civil war, the loss of Parthia and Bactria in the east, and losses in the west not only to Egypt but also to the Attalids of Pergamum among others. Despite a brief rebound under Antiochus III, the Seleucids would never recover from this blow. Meanwhile, Ptolemy III had brought his kingdom to the height of its power. My coin represents this hinge of history, known as the Third Syrian War, rather well: it was both issued at that time (the beginning of his reign, according to Ptolemaic expert Catherine Lorber), and is itself suitably monumental. (It’s HUUUGE, remember?!?)

Ptolemy III’s invasion of Asia allowed him to repatriate many Egyptian relics and works of art previously looted by the Persians, earning him the epithet “Euergetes”, or “Benefactor.” He also vastly increased the Library of Alexandria’s holdings through the rather drastic means of confiscating literature arriving at the port and returning a mere copy to the deprived owner. (Maybe the next step for coin import restrictions?) Despite his enthusiasm for the library, he is in fact vilified by librarians everywhere for incurring the largest overdue fines in history. He borrowed the originals of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides from Athens… but never returned them! (Thus forfeiting an enormous deposit.) As you know, and to our eternal regret, they all eventually went up in smoke. :arghh:

Ptolemy III’s patronage was not limited to the library. He built the famous Serapeum in Alexandria, furthering the Ptolemaic attempt to unify Greek and Egyptian subjects in the worship of a deity both could accept. Zeus Ammon (= Zeus + Amun) on the obverse of my coin is another example of this unifying attempt, one which Alexander himself may have initiated. (Allegedly, the desert oracle at Siwa told Alexander that he was in fact the son of Zeus Ammon; see image below.)

ptolemy and religion.jpg

Bargain
    Octobols are quite rare (they are also HUUUGE!!), but a few have come up for auction in the last ten years (see image below). Coins a, c, e, and f are fairly typical: at something like the price I paid, you get a highly flawed example, while coins roughly comparable to mine went for around $1000. The two best deals other than mine are coins b and d, both inferior to my example, for slightly less and slightly more than double what I paid, respectively (factoring in the fees). None of these examples can boast such a stellar provenance, and the only one significantly heavier is rather ugly. Searching even further back, the only nicer looking example I’ve found (97.7g, no provenance) was sold seventeen years ago for $850 (= $1200 today). So you can see why Doug agreed I got a great bargain! :D

Eye appeal
    In my opinion this coin has fantastic eye appeal, but I suppose I could be a little biased. :angelic: I do want to call your attention to one important point, however: implicit in the eye appeal category is more general aesthetic appeal, including “in-hand” appeal. As you might imagine, the “in-hand” appeal of this coin is pretty hard to beat! It has that very satisfying HUUUUGE “pond-skipper” feel to it.**

In conclusion: did I remember to tell you that this coin is HUUUUUGE!!!!? In fact it is so huge I may need a volunteer to help me store it. Anyone? No hurricane-prone locations though, please. (Oops, dagnabbit, I’m so sorry TIF! I just made you cry again, didn’t I? :troll:)

------
    * Yes, I know there are some ridiculous aes grave, 15-shekels, and Olbian monsters floating around but we all know they weren’t actually coins but were instead used for the discus. For Ptolemies, at any rate, the four runners-up in the current CoinTalk heavyweight standings are: @Pellinore 92.3g, @TIF 91.8g, @dougsmit 90.1g, and @ziggy9 84.3g.

** Some say this coin is too heavy to make a good pond skipper. I challenge any of you to take any of your coins out to the pond with me for a skipping contest. You go first.

comps.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Super congrats on completing that awesome set, Q!!! A truly magnificent achievement that can't have been accomplished by many before, perhaps none (other than perhaps a museum or two). But that is perfectly appropriate because you are also one of a kind! You really capped it off in style, with a great bargain on the rarest type.

I can't help but notice that Sev Alex kind of messes up your photo though. Wouldn't you rather send those two to me so you'll have a perfect rectangle? :shy:

Oh, and I apologize for the aggressive behaviour of my coin. I need to give him some lessons in being a proper Canadian. I fear he may have taken a swipe or two at your coin. :oops: I just hope he didn't cause that crack.

:troll:

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I should have guessed…
    Zeus himself engraved on a hockey puck !
    You must have been either desperate or frightened !! :D

Anyway, well done, this coin is Something very special, one of the milestones of the series. I'm a bit jealous now

Q

5. Cucumbor

Double post sorry

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Love both these coins, SA's wins the eye appeal such a brute of a coin with fantastic toning. As for numismatic interest I can't go past Q's what a great achievement to have the complete set of one of the most fascinating ancient collecting series above most, the so called large alter looking more like a funeral enclosure type structure with it's two large doors, and although both very good buys I lean towards Q's as just seen one in no better condition selling at auction for twice what he paid. Congrats both of you with two coins I would be happy to have in my collection.

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Awesome matchup! Two very enviable coins that I'd k̶i̶l̶l̶ love to have in my collection. :shame:

I think both coins nail it in the Bargain and Interest categories (and congrats to Q on completing that very interesting and significant set), but for Eye Appeal it's hard to past the Ptolemaic pondskipper's beauty. Apart from it being the champ in its weight category, it surely is also the best-looking I've ever seen.

Well-played, you two!

8. Cucumbor

Wow : 26-51 !

Looks like it will be tough for the Wise Marcus Aurelius

[​IMG]

Q

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I would have commented earlier but I was distraught and sobbing :D.

What a dastardly clever move by Q, turning one coin into a 22 coin showcase! Seriously though... congratulations on completing that set and on your wonderful summary, Q!

Nice as it is, I have to give my votes to Sev's fantastic coin. I'm still reeling with envy over not seeing that when it came up for auction. You can be sure it would have closed much higher :D. It is simply gorgeous-- and an incredible feat of coinmaking. Imagine how difficult it was to strike these monsters! The strike quality alone of Sev's coin is incredible. Must've been made by Andre the Giant's ancestor.

Yep!! :D

Bwahahahaha! I did not know that! Hey @arnoldoe-- perhaps Ptolemy III is a forebear of Isiusiisiuisii :D.

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm starting to like hockey a lot more these days, so I have to vote for the ancient hockey puck.

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Fantastic entries for both players with write ups that are every bit as entertaining as we've come to expect from these two.

I will say though that I am surprised that the bargain category is not closer. For my vote at least I was torn on that category. No one doubts that SA got a fantastic deal (he's a ninja at that) but Q also got a bargain. There are only a handful of that type and all the ones I could find sold for $500+ including those in similar condition. The beautiful Gemini example sold for $2,000 + fees.

SA's coin is the single reason I do not yet own an Egyptian hockey puck! One of these days I will find his big brother my friend (perhaps one miscalibrated scale later ;))

Severus Alexander likes this.
  12. Severus Alexander

I was petrified to face the Mighty Cuke!! It's lucky for me that we're limited to recent purchases or I would have been toast. I had a stellar year last year, whereas you already owned all the best coins. :)

I agree 100%. IMO the voting should be even on bargain and even on interest (last night Q was blowing me out on this but now it is pretty even). It's ironic that my best category here is eye appeal, when the average eye appeal in Q's collection would stomp me, as much as my octobol would stomp a tetartemorion!

I look forward to seeing it. You have some competition though... ;)

Awesome! If I'm ever in Florida again let's go to a game. :)

Curtisimo and TIF like this.
  13. Severus Alexander

Sorry @TIF!! :oops::smug:

TIF and Curtisimo like this.
  14. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

I must confess that I don't understand why the voting on best bargain is taking the shape it is (practically 2-1 for the hockey puck). Seriously? The hockey puck is more familiar to voters, and famous enough that more voters probably would like to have one than have one of the 22 types of commemorative ants. Okay, I get that. But market is market. No way is a hockey puck in the same rarity class as that Marcus Aurelius. To get a coin that rare, and not in bad shape, for such a small fraction of the more usual price - fahgeddaboudit.

To be fair to the best bargain category, you really should change your votes from "the coin I would want" to "the hardest to buy."

15. Sallent

@lrbguy sometimes just because an ancient coin is rare, doesn't mean people are willing to pay a lot of money for it. You can literally find many ancient coins where there are only three or four known, and you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone to pay more than 50 or $60 for it. What's a good price or not is determined by many more factors than simply the rarity of the coin.

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think the point he was trying to make is that the the coin is rare AND people have been willing to pay much more for other examples.

I could not find another one of this type selling for under $500.

But as we've said many times bargain is a subjective criteria and in this case at least there are no wrong answers. Both are great bargains.

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

@Sallent yeah I'm familiar with the dynamics of supply and demand. But in terms of market history, the hardest coin to get in a large and popular series (among Roman collectors) seems to have a demand curve that puts the price up pretty high. While the hockey pucks are not cheap, the usual run of them just don't compare. They are a big deal to Greek collectors, who like their coins big, perhaps, but to Roman imperial enthusiasts things are a bit more refined. I like what fits in a 2x2 flip. On the other hand, I suppose a Roman Republican collector would be out to match them libra for pound.

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. Sallent

Ok, so the coin is rare and usually sells for $500, but the collectors market for that particular coin maybe smaller than you think. It could be a case of $500 is worth it for a supply of 100 coins to a group of about 300 collectors that desperately want one in their collection. Buy to the rest of the ancients collectors (thousands of us) we may not particularly want or need that coin (even if it is a nice coin) so it may not be worth $500 to us. But for most of us, a massive Ptolemaic hockey puck might be worth those $200 or $300, while to you that may seem boring or not as interesting to pay that much for.

19. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

What you are saying is that in a contest like this where (by your estimate) collectors of Greek coinage predominate, Roman collectors have little chance because their numbers are smaller. If true, that is a dismal thought.

Hence we have contests like this to help people raise their sights, and broaden their horizons, a bit.

20. Sallent

True, I never knew about this particular set of coins, but now I know. Hey, I love Roman coins, but I'll admit there are many sets and types I've probably never heard of (not unusual given the 700 year span of ancient Roman coins).

But as much as I like Romans, you don't have to try hard to find the appeal of a hefty chunk of Ptolemaic bronze. These puppies make sestertii look and feel like pennies next to them. I think people naturally relate to these once they hold one in their hands. Here's mine, a baby at only 42.5g.

38006.jpg

Curtisimo, Ryro, Bing and 2 others like this.
  21. R*L

R*L Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted