[Semifinal-2] #4 ancientcoinguru vs #24 Pavlos (CIT 2018)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Oct 3, 2018.
  1. Eye appeal (#4 ancientcoinguru)

32 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Best bargain (#4 ancientcoinguru)

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#4 ancientcoinguru)

50 vote(s)
    96.2%
  4. Eye appeal (#24 Pavlos)

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. Best bargain (#24 Pavlos)

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#24 Pavlos)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello everyone and welcome to our final match of the semifinal round!

Bracket.jpg

If you need to get caught up on all the tournament action you can do so in the master thread.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...annual-coin-imperator-tournament-2018.320328/

The winner of this match will be moving on to the championship match! Good luck to both players.

............................................................​

#4 @ancientcoinguru

acg-semi.jpg
    16 BC
    Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD)
    Struck by L. Vinicius L.f. Moneyer
    Rome mint
    AR denarius 3.72g - 19.50 mm
    Obv: Equestrian statue of Augustus riding right on a low square pedestal inscribed S.P.Q.R/IMP/CAES in three lines; all before city wall with arched entrance.
    Rev: Cippus inscribed in six lines S.P.Q.R./IMP.CAE/QVOD.V/M.S.EX/EA.P.QIS/AD.A.DE
    Reference: RIC632, RSC 543, SR1618

Price: $690

Why It is Cool:
    My father was a civil engineer and when I was a teenager, he told me about Augustus, which began my interest in the ancient world. One of the things I remember the most was his conviction that the building and maintenance of the Roman roads was a significant factor that helped Augustus build an empire.

My father passed away many years ago, but I wanted to purchase an ancient coin in memory of my dad -- this one held a special significance for me since it honors Augustus for using his own private funds to finance the restoration of the roads.

Eye Appeal:
    The vast majority of Roman coins feature a portrait of either a personification (Republic) or an emperor (Imperial) on the obverse. Many Greek coins will feature the bust of a deity or some other symbol of the city or state. This coin features a real world scene that contains a lot of visual interest when compared to more traditional types. The artistic ambition to try to show so much detail on a coin the size of a denarius makes this coin special. All the major design elements are present and identifiable on this example; the equestrian statue and pedestal, the city gate, the cippus etc.

Compared to other examples of the type I think this coin does well on eye appeal while in general the design really sets it apart visually from most other ancient coins.

Bargain:
    This coin is scarce. Since 2010, the average price realized in auctions for a near VF condition of this denarius was $850 plus buyer’s fee. I was pleased to find this near VF example for a decent price ($600 plus buyers’ fee). It is missing most of the legend on the obverse, and the reverse is off center – but IMO, these factors do not affect its beauty and striking design. The quality of the metal is good and there is no evidence of porosity.

History:
    In 16 BC, the Roman moneyer L. Vinicius L.f. struck 2 coins at the roman mint to honor Augustus for contributing his private funds to finance the restoration of the Roman road system.

Roman roads played an important role in expanding and consolidating the Roman Empire. A major road was often stone-paved and metaled, with an inclination built in for drainage. They were laid along accurately surveyed pathways. Roads were built to connect cities, towns and military bases. They enabled military forces to protect Rome’s territories and conquer new lands, which lead to the rapid growth of the empire. Roads also moved trade goods and people efficiently and quickly, which helped to grow the economy and to improve communication.

Since a city wall with an arched entrance is depicted on the obverse of my coin, it may be referring to Augustus’ restoration of the major roads leading in and out of Rome, perhaps even the road we see depicted on this coin. When I purchased this denarius, the seller said that the statue on the obverse may represent one erected to Augustus by the senate outside the city near the Porta Flaminia. This would fit well since Augustus is thought to have been involved with the restoration of the Via Flaminia around 27 BC.

RomanRoads_Augustus.jpg
    Via-Flaminia-Aug_Eq.jpg
    Left –Via Flaminia (restored by Augustus ca. 27 BC). Right – Fragment of an equestrian statue of Augustus in the National Archeological Museum of Athens.

As evidence of the importance of this type in showcasing the legacy of Augustus I recently made a very pleasant discovery while visiting the British Museum. Out of only a handful of coins on display struck under Augustus, this coin type was chosen to be featured in their display! Along with a description of the coin, a quotation from the Res Gestae was included to show how much Augustus valued his contributions to the treasury and infrastructure of the empire.

“On four occasions I helped the treasury with my money so that I gave 150 million sestertii over to those responsible for the treasury”.

British_Museum.jpg
    Display at the British Museum

It is important to look at the legends written on the reverse of the denarius, both the one on the cippus, and the legend around the edge of the coin. The legend around the cippus clearly states why the denarius was minted.

S[enatvs] P[opvlvs]Q[ve] R[omanvs] IMP[erator] CAE[sar] QVOD V[iae] M[vnitae] S[int] EX EA P[ecvnia] Q[vam] IS A[eraribm] DE[tvlit]

"In gratitude to Augustus for his monetary contribution to the treasury and his gifts of the roads and improvement of public safety"​

The legend near the edge of the coin make us increasingly aware of the individuality of the moneyer.

L[vcivs] VINICIVS L[vcivs] F[ilivs] III[vm]VIR

"Lucius Vinicius, Son of Lucius, Triumvir"​

I believe that Lucius Vinicius was one of the tresviri monetalies (normal moneyers) since they sometimes marked their coins with IIIVIR or IIIVIR AAAFF, and you can see the IIIVIR clearly on the reverse of this coin. Lucius Vinicius was probably a junior magistrate and part of a group designated to look after roads. Under the Republic the average age of a moneyer was 30, but Augustus reduced the age requirements for all the magistrates, so Lucius Vinicius could have been younger. Socially, he was an equestrian from a senatorial family - normally a year or two later, they joined the senate as quaestors.

This coin is one of a pair minted by Lucius Vinicius to honor Augustus for financing the restoration of the public roads. In 2017, I also purchased the companion denarius from a different vendor for $226.
    Augustus Roads Crippus.png
    16 BC
    Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD)
    Struck by L. Vinicius L.f. Moneyer
    Rome mint
    AR denarius 3.39 gm - 20 mm
    Obv: AVGVSTVS TR. POT. VIII. Bare head right.
    Rev: L. VINICIVS L.F. III VIR around cippus inscribed SPQR/IMP.CAE/QVOD.V/M.S.EX/EA.P.QIS/AD.A.DE.
    Reference: RIC 361, C. 542 (Fr. 30)

............................................................​

#24 @Pavlos

Pavlos-4.jpg
    Obol from Mysia, Kyzikos.
    Mint between 450 B.C. - 400 B.C
    11mm; 0,86g.
    Obverse: Forepart of boar left, retrograde E on body, tunny fish swimming upwards behind.
    Reverse: Head of roaring lion left, within shallow incuse square.
    Reference: SNG Von Aulock 7333

Price: $42

Why It’s Cool:
    I have always wanted this coin since I started my collection, but I never found a nice one for a good price, until I got this one! It is such a small coin but it is an amazing piece of art, kudos to the person who made such good detail on such a small die (I think this goes for many Ancient coins).

Bargain:

Why is it a bargain? Small silver coins from Kyzikos go for a lot, sometimes I see small silver coins with a lot more wear going for around 30-40 dollars on auctions and even more in shops.

An obol similar to mine with reference SNG Von Aulock:7333 in lesser condition can go for $173:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/fo..._boar_forepart__lion_head/921385/Default.aspx

See other examples for comparison here

History:
    Kyzikos was one of the great cities of the ancient world. It was said to have been founded by Pelasgians from Thessaly, according to tradition at the coming of the Argonauts. Later in 756 B.C. it received many colonists from Miletus. Because of it advantageous position it speedily acquired commercial importance, and the gold staters of Kyzikos were a staple currency in the ancient world till they were superseded by those of Philip of Macedon.

During the Peloponnesian War (431-404 B.C.) Kyzikos was subject to the Athenians and Lacedaemonians alternately. In the naval Battle of Kyzikos in 410, an Athenian fleet completely destroyed a Spartan fleet. Who knows my coin could have been circulating in Kyzikos during this battle.

d949591cc91162712840efdb8cc3b69a.jpg
    Battle of Kyzikos, 410 B.C.

At the peace of Antalcidas in 387, like the other Greek cities in Asia, it was made over to Persia. Alexander the Great captured it from the Persians in 334 B.C. In 74 B.C. allied with Rome, it withstood a siege by 300,000 men led by King Mithridates VI of Pontus. Rome rewarded this loyalty with territory and with municipal independence which lasted until the reign of Tiberius. When it was incorporated into the Empire, Kyzikos was made the capital of Mysia, and afterward of Hellespontus. Gallienus opened an imperial mint at Kyzikos, which continued to strike coins well into the Byzantine era.

The badge of the city of Kyzikos is the tunny-fish, shoals of tunny-fish were continually passing through the Propontis on their way from the Euxine to the Aegean sea, these fish were an absolute cornerstone of the Kyzikos economy. Eventually other animals or mythological figures were added to Kyzikos coinage. There is a a lot of levity in some of their designs, as the maker engraved the most extraordinary beautiful figures and yet show them holding a tunny by its tail as if it was being taken to the kitchen.

7a0761370379fb0b6f0afa1cd7e3e441.jpg
    Electrum stater from Kyzikos showing a flying dolphin man taking his catch to make a nice grilled tunny with lemon and fresh thyme.

In the years following the Persian conquest, many of the major city-states of western Asia Minor including Kyzikos started to produce their own civic silver coinage. The passage to silver was a natural development which quickly spread to other non-electrum-minting cities. Owing to its lower value and wider acceptance, silver made way for coins to be ever more commonly used in a wide range of transactions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Had @Pavlos ' coin been that sweet electrum stater, no doubt @ancientcoinguru would have lost. As is, I think the Augustus denarius wins hands down, though I personally have a soft spot for those Kyzicos obols and Pavlos' is quite a beautiful example of the type and at a price tag that is superb.

Here is my more humble example of the Kyzicos boar, which did cost me a little more than I'd care to pay these days, but it was one of my first ancients and I was a little more in a spending mood back then (I paid $90). Mine does have a star devise above the lion, so it is not comparing the same...I believe star devise is a little rarer.

Kyzicos Boar Hemiobol (2).jpg

TheRed, Ajax, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Two great coins, looks like another terrific contest. I absolutely love ancientcoinguru's
    Denarius so many messages on one little coin and both fantastic historical writeups and although sounds like a hefty price tag the Augustus coin is very hard to come by compared to the Obal from Mysia which are reasonably easy to purchase cheaply although Pavlos has one of the nicest examples I have seen. GAME ON !!

Curtisimo, Pavlos and ancientcoinguru like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

This one Augustus is a type I have had my eye on for décades, but didn't find any example that would fit both my taste and wallet. Very decent example @ancientcoinguru !

@Pavlos, the almost newbie you are is showing a great potential at choosing interesting coins. In ten years from now you will be a first class collector !

Q

6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Thats a great coin and you deserve all the right to win, congratulations already :)

It's hard to compete as a starter, I even still need to get my first tetradrachm, no idea which one will it be, a special one I think.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    ancientcoinguru and Curtisimo like this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This is another set of great coins by our players.

@ancientcoinguru pulled out the big guns this round... WOW :wideyed:

I also have a soft spot for @Pavlos 's coin since it is from my favorite time period to collect in... the Peloponnesian War era! A great price on that coin too. Greek fractionals with good detail at a bargain have been tough to beat this competition. Smart play Pavlos.

Cyzicus is one of the places I would love to visit if I ever make it to Turkey for a visit.

IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6510.JPG
    http://turkisharchaeonews.net/site/cyzicus

ancientcoinguru, Ryro, TIF and 5 others like this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I think from memory when I visited Ephesus the top pic was the temple of Hadrian still in pretty good nick. Well for an ancient ruin :D 20151017_084621.jpg

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent writeups! @ancientcoinguru, it's always nice to see an Imperial coin which varies from the usual portrait/deity motif. That's a coin I've love to own.

@Pavlos, bonus points for working in one of my favorite coins of all time, Winged Dolphin Man! Oh how I wanted that coin when it came to auction but it was beyond my reach by a large factor.

[​IMG]

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That's a hilarious poster @TIF . Awesome photo of Cyzicus @Ancient Aussie ! Jealous :)

@ancientcoinguru 's coin made me think and go back through my photos of all the Roman roads / streets I've been able to visit.

The most intact ancient street in Rome - near Trajan's Market.
    IMG_6522.JPG

A major street in Pompeii, Italy
    DSC_0069.JPG

A side street in Pompeii, Italy
    DSC_0993.JPG

A street in Herculaneum, Italy
    DSC_0903.JPG

A Roman era road near Paestum, Italy
    DSC_0205.JPG

A street in Salona, Croatia
    IMG_6521.JPG

And finally the marble lined streets of Diocletian's palace. Split, Croatia
    Croatia 167.JPG

I probably have a few more from Tuscany and some other places but you all get the idea. :)

12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Congratulations @ancientcoinguru !!
    --------------------------------------

The Roman Road runs straight and bare
    As the pale parting-line in hair
    Across the heath. And thoughtful men
    Contrast its days of Now and Then,
    And delve, and measure, and compare;

Visioning on the vacant air
    Helmeted legionnaires, who proudly rear
    The Eagle, as they pace again
    The Roman Road.

But no tall brass-helmeted legionnaire
    Haunts it for me. Uprises there
    A mother's form upon my ken,
    Guiding my infant steps, as when
    We walked that ancient thoroughfare,
    The Roman Road.

~Thomas Hardy

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Still time to vote on the last match of the semifinal. This match will close this evening!

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

The last of our semifinals comes to an end with two fantastic coins, write ups and two great players. Thanks to both of you and to all of our voters!

Results
    #4 @ancientcoinguru - 108 Winner
    #24 @Pavlos - 47

Pavlos came out on top in the bargain category with his great style Greek obol while acg took the eye appeal and interest categories to win the match.

We now have our stage set for our final two matches of the tournament!

@ancientcoinguru will meet @Severus Alexander in the Championship match to decide who will become our new Imperator (with the power to direct my pledged donation to his/her favorite charity!).

If they are willing and able we will also get to see @Pavlos and @Cucumbor play one more time in a "just for fun" match to set the order of our final winners podium at the triumph (you'll see).

It's been a fun tournament and we still have plenty of fun ahead.

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats @ancientcoinguru, very well played

Decision is up to @Pavlos, I'm of course ready for a "just for fun" match (even though my writeup isn't yet :) )

Q

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Yes sure would be fun! :)
    And this time I can finish the writup this weekend, no delays anymore haha.

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Besides third place, the contest leaves open a few other questions. When the eventual winner is crowned we might wonder which of his entered coins would have been the favorite of the voting public. I doubt it will be the last coin posted. I suppose we could go by the coin that received the largest number of votes but that would favor mediocre coins that competed with terrible coins over great coins that barely beat another great entry. I hope that when this is all over the participants will continue to share interesting and contest worthy coins even though there is no contest.

18. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Being competitive in nature (and a bit superstitious), I am just now checking to see the results of this round. I appreciate everyone’s kind words, thank you! And my thanks to @Clavdivs for the poem and @Curtisimo for the photos, which I enjoyed.:)

But I want to pay tribute to my competition. @Pavlos - with the odds stacked against you (being new to collecting) - you beat @zumbly!:jawdrop: Thereby earning my eternal gratitude and everyone’s respect. You were a great competitor! You have a good eye for selecting interesting ancients, and I look forward to watching you build what I am sure will be an outstanding collection.

19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats, @ancientcoinguru! I meant to comment earlier but have been busy with a family trip. @Pavlos has played great in every round and this one was no exception, but that Augustus is such a fantastic coin, and a type I've always wanted (yes, I'm very envious!).

I'm really looking forward to the final round now because I know it's going to be an absolutely EPIC match!

Draft saved Draft deleted