[Ancients] Guess the Cointalker 2021 (Master Thread)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Guess the CoinTalker 2021.jpg
    Welcome to another fun game on the CoinTalk ancient's forum! This thread will serve as the master thread for all other threads to link back to.

If you are not aware of how to play GTCTer (where have you been?) you can check out the two previous iterations of the game here: 2019 GTCTer and 2017 GTCTer.
    Coin_Plinko-2021.gif

How the Game Works
    I have enlisted the participation of four well known CoinTalk members (plus myself). Each of us has submitted a photo of a coin that we have never posted to the forum along with a brief description of why we included the coin in our collections. See below for the list of members who have agreed to participate.

@Parthicus
    @Curtisimo
    @Cucumbor
    @bcuda
    @Theodosius

The goal of the game will be for members to try and match each coin with its owner (one of the 5 members listed above). There will be a separate thread for each coin posted every 3 days and each thread will produce a winner. The winner’s name will be chosen at random from the participants in the thread but you can earn multiple chances to win based on the following rules.
    1. Guess who the owner of the coin is and give a reason why you think that. (Ex.: I believe that this coin belongs to Curtisimo because he once gave himself a concussion trying to skateboard down a half pipe without ever practicing.) This is the minimum requirement for entry into the drawing. You must post a comment for your guess to be counted. Please include a reason with your guess.
    2. Anyone who posts a photo of an ancient coin along with their guess (related or not) will receive an extra chance to win.
    3. Anyone who gives a particularly well thought out or amusing reason why you guessed a certain person will receive an extra chance to win.
    4. Anyone who guesses correctly will receive an extra chance to win.
    5. Anyone who is a young numismatist (age 18 or younger) will receive an extra chance to win. If you are a YN please say so in your entry post.
    In total there can be up to 5 chances to win for each member in each thread!

A Thank you to our CT Benefactors!
    CT_Benefactors-2021.jpg
    I want to take some time to give a special thank you to two members who volunteered to post prizes for the contest. Their selfless generosity means that we easily have enough prizes to award one per round (5 prizes in total! See below).

@Theodosius
    @Ryro (for the second time in a row!)

You guys are the best!

Game Schedule
    I plan to post the first coin tomorrow (Wednesday, February 17). I will leave the first round open to guesses for 3 days. Once the round closes I will post the next one and so on. See below for the tentative schedule:
    • Round 1: Wednesday 2/17/2021
    • Round 2: Saturday 2/20/2021
    • Round 3: Tuesday 2/23/2021
    • Round 4: Friday 2/26/2021
    • Round 5: Monday 3/1/2021
    The Prizes
    Prizes will be awarded once all 5 threads have closed and we have 5 total winners. Each winner will be able to choose which of the below prizes he or she wants. The order of choosing will be based on which winner had the most correct matches throughout the game (so it’s best to participate in all threads!). In the event of a tie the number of chances earned will serve as the tie breaker. Getting an answer wrong does not disqualify you and you do not have to guess correctly to be eligible to win a prize! Simply commenting with a guess will make you eligible.

All coin prizes this year will be a mystery until the winners choose which prize they want. However, each coin will have a short riddle to help winners make their picks when the time comes. Good fun!

Mystery Prize #1 - Provided by @Ryro
    Riddle: If it doesn't fit on your finger you can wear it on your toe!
    Mystery_Coin_1.jpg

Mystery Prize #2 - Provided by @Theodosius
    Riddle: I am jumping star
    Mystery_Coin_2.jpg

Mystery Prize #3 - Provided by @Curtisimo
    Riddle: 2nd century fun. A dutiful son in law and a couple of guys who give me shameless beard envy.
    Mystery_Coin_3.jpg

Mystery Prize #4 - Provided by @Curtisimo
    Riddle: Neck beards, satellites on buildings and proof that aliens visited the 4th century.
    Mystery_Coin_4.jpg

Prize #5 - Provided by @Curtisimo
    Prize-5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

l was JUST thinking about you and your contests. I just now posted a pic (albeit small version) of the coin you and @chrsmat71 sent me after one of your cool contests! It is in the top open drawer!

Yaaaayyy another Curtisimo Contest! Let the fun begin!

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

To be clear; I will guess every coin and its owners, giving reasons why so well Sir Arthur CONAN Doyle's head would spin.
    Speaking of... I will settle for nothing less than utter domination!
    42ca9ae506e93af6b86dd8b6e56412bb.gif

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

You are too kind. It’s been nice seeing you around the forum again. :)

lol

LaCointessa and Ryro like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Awesome! Can’t wait. Sounds like fun :D

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Another great CT event thanks to our own @Curtisimo !

Q

LaCointessa and Curtisimo like this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This should be fun. I did awful last time around but I think I have some decent background knowledge of the mystery coin posters now.

Watch me get 0 correct :p

Thanks for the game @Curtisimo and to all those who provided mystery coins.

Looking forward to seeing them :)

Curtisimo and Theodosius like this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I can't think of or say the name "Curtisimo" without following it up by saying or thinking "The Greatest" (The "Greatish" doesn't quite do it) ;):D

Cucumbor and Curtisimo like this.
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello all and welcome back to the game. Before I post the final round on Friday, March 6th 5th, I want to post the guesses that I have logged for everyone through the first 4 rounds.

If you see that I missed counting any guesses or if you see any mistakes please let me know!
    Guesses_Round5.JPG

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's guesses in the final round. Once that closes stay tuned because we have some surprises and a few honorary awards to give out here in the master thread!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Claudius_Gothicus likes this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

With the guessing for this years game wrapped up we can now move on to the other fun part... the big reveal and prize drawings!

The Big Reveal
    Coin #1: @Cucumbor
    Coin1.jpeg

Coin #2: @Curtisimo
    Coin2.jpeg

Coin #3: @bcuda
    Coin3.jpeg

Coin #4: @Theodosius
    Coin4.jpeg

Coin #5: @Parthicus
    Coin5.jpeg

How Tricky Were the Volunteers?
    In order to see how tricky the volunteers were with our coin submissions this year I put together a chart that plots the total and correct number of guesses. It is easy to see from the graph that the coins that tripped up the voters most were Coin #2 (Curtisimo) and Coin #4 (Theodosius). The other three all had a correct to total guess ratio above 50%. For the record... yes, I did pick a coin that I thought people would mistake for Theodosius :troll::p:angelic:. I wanted very badly to pick an Iberian or Parthian coin but I have shown all of mine in those areas... so Greek it was! :smug::D

Another interesting point of data is that there were a total of 198 guesses across all 5 rounds and a total of 56 correct guesses. That means that only 28.3% of the guesses were correct.
    Graph.jpg
    Despite all the tricky shenanigans and 28.3% success rate it is safe to say that this year the guessers had a much better record of matching the coin to its owner overall compared to previous years. Let's take a look at the scores.

The Scores
    @Claudius_Gothicus - Correct Guesses: 5
    @dougsmit - Correct Guesses: 5
    @Severus Alexander - Correct Guesses: 5
    @zumbly - Correct Guesses: 4
    @Orielensis - Correct Guesses: 4
    @Sulla80 - Correct Guesses: 3
    @Alegandron - Correct Guesses: 3
    @Bing - Correct Guesses: 3
    @Johndakerftw - Correct Guesses: 3
    @Ignoramus Maximus - Correct Guesses: 3
    @IMP Shogun - Correct Guesses: 3
    @svessien - Correct Guesses: 3
    @Yorkshire - Correct Guesses: 3
    @LaCointessa - Correct Guesses: 2
    @Bradley Trotter - Correct Guesses: 2
    @ValiantKnight - Correct Guesses: 2
    @Al Kowsky - Correct Guesses: 1
    @hotwheelsearl - Correct Guesses: 1
    @aleppo - Correct Guesses: 1
    @Ryro - Correct Guesses: 0
    @cmezner - Correct Guesses: 0
    @furryfrog02 - Correct Guesses: 0
    @Valentinian - Correct Guesses: 0
    @Justin Lee - Correct Guesses: 0
    @Clavdivs - Correct Guesses: 0
    @Ancient Aussie - Correct Guesses: 0

Additionally, in the 5th round when I invited members to re-think their guesses from previous rounds a few took me up on it and of those @zumbly was able to guess all 5 correctly. Nice comeback Z!

Thanks again to all the members that participated and voted. This was a fun year... now its time for the Awards and Prize drawings... Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Before we dig into the prize drawings we need to take some time to recognize some big firsts for the game and to hand out a couple of virtual awards. :woot:

The Champions!
    For the first time in our three iterations of this game we have players (3 of them!) who managed to correctly guess all 5 coins on the first try. Congratulations Guess the CoinTalker 2021 Champions!

Champions-2021.jpg

I am not at all surprised to see @dougsmit and @Severus Alexander become our first GTCTer Champions. Both of them typically do very well in the various silly (but hopefully enjoyable) CoinTalk games and tournaments that I host from time to time.

I was surprised to see our new young numismatist @Claudius_Gothicus come in with a slam dunk on his first game. From the very first round I was impressed with his sleuthing and deduction skills. Well done. Well done and congratulations to all our champions this year.

The Method Awards
    This year saw some of the best and most amusing posts that I have seen in any of the games that I have hosted. As such, let's take some time to honor a few CoinTalkers who came up with truly unique and innovative methods for making their choices.

Without further ado please join me in honoring these players with these very prestigious and important awards that I am sure will be the highlight of their numismatic careers... do you all have your top hats?
    Advanced_Method.jpg
    In 50 years we are all going to look back and realize that our robot overlords first achieved sentience right here in this post by @Sulla80 . The prediction engine that he used to make his selections then grew in complexity to such a degree that by the 4th round there was no longer any hope of stopping it. 3 out of 5 aint bad Skynet...

Scholarly_Method.jpg
    This one is far less tongue and cheek and mostly just me simply being impressed. @Claudius_Gothicus was able to find where Q had used a similar spelling of a word through multiple older posts and matched it to the write up on his entry in Round 1. Nice! He identified my writing style, bcuda's fondness for green patina and the way that Theodosius lights his coin photos :eek::eek::eek:. A well earned perfect score in the game and a Method Award to boot. :D

Horrifying_Method.jpg
    This one is straight forward... if you flip a beautiful Sicilian Hemilitron to determine your vote then you will earn this award hands down. (You crack me up with your jokes @Alegandron . Though I did cringe a bit at just the thought :eek::p)

Eclectic_Method.jpg
    For being a parot, to hiring penguin detectives, to using Indiana Jones and Kronk as inspiration I herby award this award to @ValiantKnight . Keep up the variety my friend.

Limes, Justin Lee, cmezner and 13 others like this.
  18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats to all the winners !

So, that was me ?
    Oh, I love that coin, I would love to have it :D

@Claudius_Gothicus : you killed me man !
    When preparing the game I told Curtis he would have to check my writing in case I use barbarisms, frenchisms, or every mistake a foreigner could make in english. However, until then I was quite proud of myself (I'm french if you need a reason :D ) and happy with my skills at writing your language. Sometimes I even had fun with some misspelling from genuine american folks (then instead of than, and errors of the like).

Now you see me very humble at your feet, and I will copy 100 times "apart"

apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart, apart,

That was a lot of fun to see how people struggled to find the owners of those 5 wonderful coins.

Thank you @Curtisimo for putting all this together, the fun and your friendship. You're definitely Curtisimo the Great without any "ish" !!

:) Q

Edited for misspelling ;)

20. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

Oh wow! I really wasn't expecting this, though I must admit it has definitely brightened up my day :D! I think that the game was extremely enjoyable, and I really appreciated using the clues provided to figure out the owners of the coins each time. I'd like to congratulate @Curtisimo for providing us the opportunity to play in this contest as well as everybody else who played and made their guesses - it was very entertaining to see the various methods people came up with! I am looking forward to the distribution of the prizes as well as the next editions of this fantastic game :).

@Cucumbor, don't feel bad about yourself, everybody can make mistakes! Besides, if you hadn't made it, I would have had a lot more trouble attributing your coin and, by extension, all the following ones as well :D!

Justin Lee, Cucumbor, cmezner and 8 others like this.
  21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

The Prize Drawing!
    ...and the winners are

The_Prizes.jpg

Congratulations winners! As in previous years the order of choosing the prize will be by number of correct guesses with tie breakers decided by chances earned. As such the order of choosing will be.

First: @Claudius_Gothicus
    Second: @zumbly
    Third: @Orielensis
    Fourth: @cmezner
    Fifth: @furryfrog02

Obviously I would love for all of our winners to take their well earned prizes (or choose the charity!) and enjoy them but as with previous years you can give your choice to another member if you would like to do so.

First up....
    So @Claudius_Gothicus , which prize would you like?

Draft saved Draft deleted