[Ancients] Curtisimo’s Epic Holiday Giveaway Game 2017!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Coin_Plinko.gif
    It’s been a few months since I have hosted a game or a tournament on the ancients forum and I figured there is no better time than the holiday season! 2017 has been a good year and I feel fortunate that I have been able to interact more with the great group of ancient coin collectors here at CT. You guys/gals are the best!

I had considered sending out some surprise Secret Saturnalia gifts but then I figured it might be more fun for the whole group if I hosted a giveaway game instead. I prefer games to simple ‘pull a name from the hat’ style giveaways because this gives us all a chance to interact and get to know one another in a slightly different way than the typical posts. I have five coins that I will be giving away based on the below details. This thread will serve as the master thread for the game and I will update it with results periodically. I have also posted a thread on the contests forum with a link to this master thread so that our friends in the US and World forums can come play as well!

How the Game Works

I have enlisted the participation of four well known CoinTalk members (plus myself). Each of us has submitted a photo of a coin that we have never posted to the forum along with a brief description of why we think the coin is interesting. See below for the list of members who have agreed to participate.

@zumbly
    @Curtisimo
    @Severus Alexander
    @FitzNigel
    @H8_modern

The goal of the game will be for members to try and match each coin with its owner. There will be a separate thread for each coin posted every few days and each thread will produce a winner. The winner’s name will be chosen at random from the participants in the thread but you can earn multiple chances to win based on the following rules.
    1. Guess who the owner of the coin is and give a reason why you think that. (Ex.: I believe that this coin belongs to Curtisimo because he likes that kind of ancient coin.) This is the minimum requirement for entry into the drawing. Please include a reason with your guess!
    2. Anyone who posts a photo of a coin along with their guess (related or not) OR gives a particularly well thought out or amusing reason why you guessed a certain person will receive an extra chance to win.
    3. Anyone who guesses correctly will receive an extra chance to win
    4. Anyone who is a young numismatist (age 18 or younger) will receive an extra chance to win. If you are a YN please say so in your entry post.
    In total there can be up to 4 chances to win for each member in each thread!

The Prizes

Prizes will be awarded once all 5 threads have closed and we have 5 total winners. Each winner will be able to choose which of the below coins he or she wants. The order of choosing will be based on which winner had the most correct matches throughout the game (so it’s best to participate in all threads!). In the event of a tie the number of chances earned will serve as the tie breaker. Without further ado here are the coins that the winners will have to choose from.

A. Roman Empire – Phillip I AR Antoninianus, AD 244-249 (22.65 mm, 3.56 g)
    Phillip_II_CSH.jpg
    B. Roman Empire – Claudius II Gothicus AE Antoninianus, AD 269-270 (21.42 mm, 3.53 g)
    Clau_II_CSH.jpg
    C. Northern Song – Emperor Shenzong, AE 2 Cash, AD 1068-1085 (30 mm, 6.74 g)
    Song_Shenzong_CSH.jpg
    D. Mystery coin #1! To be revealed when chosen by a winner!
    Mystery_Coin.jpg
    E. Mystery coin #2! To be revealed when chosen by a winner!
    Mystery_Coin_2.jpg

A Note to our Selfless Members!

Many of you may not feel comfortable entering a giveaway because you would rather see the prizes go to a less experienced collector. That is a very admirable sentiment and I am prepared to make arrangements so that all of our members can feel comfortable playing and entering. This series of threads is more about having fun than about exchanging coins and I want as much participation from our long time and experienced members as possible. If you end up winning and you would rather the prize go to someone else you can either designate that person or allow me to choose on your behalf. I have been brainstorming and I believe I have come up with a way that I could choose based on participation in the game that would be 100% fair to all.

Okay now lets have some fun!!!

Ryro, Deacon Ray, TIF and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

When do rounds close?

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I figure we will give it three days. I set the poll in round 1 to four but I think three days is enough for everyone who wants to take a guess. I will post the next round tomorrow afternoon.

6. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

In the meantime, can you PM me the right answers?

:angelic:

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Okay everyone it's time to reveal the answers to the game and announce our winners! I've been keeping a detailed spreadsheet to keep track of everyone's answers and how many chances they have earned so I will be posting some of that information just for fun in case anyone wants to know how they did in the competition.

It turns out that this was quite a bit of data to manage and I think I did a pretty good job of tracking everything correctly. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I made an accidental omission or misspelled something in such a way that caused the spreadsheet not to count it in the final tallies. Any such mistakes shouldn't have affected the drawing and prize portion though!

The Big Reveal

Coin #1 - @Severus Alexander
    Anonymous_Coin_1.jpg

Coin #2 - @H8_modern
    Anonymous_Coin_2.jpg

Coin #3 - @Curtisimo
    Anonymous_Coin_3.jpg

Coin #4 - @FitzNigel
    Anonymous_Coin_4.jpg

Coin #5 - @zumbly
    Anonymous_Coin_7.jpg
    As it turns out nobody got all 5 correct and only one person by my count guessed zumbly as the owner of #5. Interesting and unexpected result! Bellow are some of the results for who had the most correct guesses and earned the most chances. (the correct guesses do not reflect the 5th round chance to guess all 5 but those extra chances earned are counted below)

Number - Member (Correct Guesses)
    1 - @Kasia (3 of 5)
    2 - @Theodosius (2 of 5)
    3 - @ancientone (2 of 5)
    4 - @TypeCoin971793 (2 of 5)
    5 - @Alegandron (2 of 5)
    6 - @randygeki (2 of 5)
    7 - @Mikey Zee (2 of 5)
    8 - @chrsmat71 (2 of 5)
    9 - @Bing (1 of 5)
    10 - @Cucumbor (1 of 5)
    11 - @dougsmit (1 of 5)
    12 - @GerardV (1 of 5)
    13 - @Makanudo (1 of 5)
    14 - @Justin Lee (1 of 5)
    15 - @TheRed (1 of 5)
    16 - @heuvy31 (1 of 5)
    17 - @SeptimusT (1 of 5)
    18 - @dadams (1 of 5)

Number - Member (Chances Earned)
    1 - @Youngcoin (16)
    2 - @Kasia (14)
    3 - @TypeCoin971793 (13)
    4 - @dougsmit (12)
    5 - @TheRed (12)
    6 - @Alegandron (12)
    7 - @randygeki (12)
    8 - @SeptimusT (12)
    9 - @Cucumbor (12)
    10 - @ancientone (12)
    11 - @GerardV (11)
    12 - @Theodosius (11)
    13 - @Mikey Zee (11)
    14 - @Smojo (11)
    15 - @Johndakerftw (11)
    16 - @LaCointessa (11)
    17 - @Andres2 (10)
    18 - @TJC (10)
    19 - @dadams (10)
    20 - @heuvy31 (10)
    21 - @Ancient Aussie (10)
    22 - @Pompeius (9)
    23 - @ValiantKnight (9)
    24 - @chrsmat71 (9)
    25 - @Bing (8)
    26 - @Nathan401 (8)
    27 - @Justin Lee (6)
    28 - @Makanudo (4)
    29 - @Roman Collector (3)
    30 - @Jwt708 (3)
    31 - @lordmarcovan (3)
    32 - @NLL (3)
    33 - @arnoldoe (2)
    34 - @Sallent (2)

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A few notes on how the drawing was conducted: I kept a detailed spreadsheet of the chances earned for each member and assigned each chance a number. I then used the random number generator at random.org to pick the winners.

Drawing Winners
    Winners.jpg
    Based on the number of correct guesses and chances earned the final order to pick prizes will be as follows.

1 - @Kasia (3 of 5 + 14 chances)

2 - @ancientone (2 of 5 + 12 chances)

3 - @chrsmat71 (2 of 5 + 9 chances)

4 - @Johndakerftw (0 of 5 + 11 chances)

5 - @TJC (0 of 5 + 10 chances)

Congratulations to the winners. Please send me a PM with your shipping address and I'll try to get your prize to you by Christmas.

Okay, first up... Kasia. Which prize would you like?

13. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the winners and a big thanks to @Curtisimo
    This was a really fun game and quite generous of you Curtisimo. With a record of 1 out of 5 I clearly need to spend more time on CT.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Great giveaway and congrats to the winners!

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Congratulations to all the winners!

Thanks Curtismo for running this interesting contest.

It clearly was challenging to match the coins to their owners, which I think made it more fun.

The only thing missing from this contest was pictures of food. :)

John

LaCointessa and Curtisimo like this.
  17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I'll fix that...
    IMG_9309.JPG
    Thanks for the nice comments John it's been fun to host :)

18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I think we need a run down of which coins had the most h Mber of correct guesses - i think i kade mine too obvious by posti my top ten of the year at the same time mine was up...

Loads of fun to watch though! Good job @Curtisimo

Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  19. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great contest!

Curtisimo likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

BIG FUN @Curtisimo ! I liked this contest! Well done with all the work you put into this series of threads. Really showed how random it is to truly pick an individual and their coin habits. AND / OR, folks just grab coins outside their collecting interests...

FOOD (my favorite!):
    upload_2017-12-12_12-55-10.png

RANDOM COIN:
    RI Prv Lydia Hierocaesarea 54-59 CE Capito under Nero Artemis STAG Leaping RPC 1 2391-2 fin (2).jpg
    RI Prv Lydia Hierocaesarea 54-59 CE Capito under Nero Artemis killing STAG RPC 1 2391-2 fin

21. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Awesome contest! I pick E - mystery coin #2.

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted