Anonymous Coin #5 – CEHGG 2017 (The Final Round!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 8, 2017.

?

Comment below to enter. Use the poll just for fun!

Poll closed Dec 11, 2017.
  1. FitzNigel

15.2%
  2. Curtisimo

24.2%
  3. H8_modern

18.2%
  4. zumbly

3.0%
  5. Severus Alexander

39.4%
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Coin_Plinko.gif
    Welcome to our last round of the game everyone. You can catch up on the fun from the other rounds and take a look through the prize coins by checking out the master thread.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-curtisimo’s-epic-holiday-giveaway-game-2017.306505/

This round will be slightly different in than the previous rounds (see below). This round will close on Monday night and I will likely post the game scores and drawing winners to the master thread on Tuesday. I hope everyone has had some fun with this!

Anonymous Coin #5
    Anonymous_Coin_7.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Julia Domna
    AR Denarius, Laodicea ad Mare, 196-202 AD
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 2.43 g
    Obv.: IVLIA - AVGVSTA, Bare and draped bust to right.
    Rev.: IVNO - REGINA, Juno, draped, standing front, holding patera in right hand and sceptre in left; on left, in front of her, rooster standing left
    Ref.: RIC IV 640 var (peacock); BMCRE V 602 var (same)

Why I included it in my collection:
    I thought it was funny that the celator either didn't know what a peacock looked like, or that he figured that Juno's bird companion was supposed to be a rooster. :D

How the Game Works

The object of the game is pretty simple: Guess which CT member the above coin belongs to out of the five participating members.

@FitzNigel
    @Curtisimo
    @H8_modern
    @zumbly
    @Severus Alexander

Participants can earn multiple chances to win based on the following rules.
    1. Guess who the owner of the coin is and give a reason why you think that. (Ex.: I believe that this coin belongs to Curtisimo because he likes that kind of ancient coin.) This is the minimum requirement for entry into the drawing. Please include a reason with your guess!
    2. Anyone who posts a photo of a coin along with their guess (related or not) OR gives a particularly well thought out or amusing reason why you guessed a certain person will receive an extra chance to win.
    3. Anyone who guesses correctly will receive an extra chance to win
    4. Anyone who is a young numismatist (age 18 or younger) will receive an extra chance to win. If you are a YN please say so in your entry post.
    5. FOR THIS FINAL ROUND!! Now that everyone has seen all 5 coins anyone who attempts to guess all 5 in their comment will be given an additional chance to win. Anyone who guesses correctly will have an extra chance added to all previous rounds! How's that for fun!
    A Refresher on the Coins from Previous Rounds
    Click the button to review each of the 4 previous entries.
    Anonymous_Coin_1.jpg
    Anonymous_Coin_2.jpg
    Anonymous_Coin_3.jpg
    Anonymous_Coin_4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Well, because he is the only one I haven't picked yet, @FitzNigel Really nice coin by the way, I am also a YN. Heres a pretty coin sent to me from an Anonymous CT member, so if your reading this post whoever you, are thank you ;).

20171205_210638.jpg 20171205_210658.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Remember that if you want to earn an extra chance in this and previous rounds you can try to guess all 5 in this round :) switching up from your previous guesses is also allowed.

PS: That is an excellent gift btw

GerardV and Youngcoin like this.
  5. Youngcoin

Am I allowed to keep it the same? I am confident with my current answers, should I list them anyways?

Thanks,
    Jacob

GerardV likes this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Yes you are allowed to keep them the same and yes please list them if you want the extra chance for guessing at all of them.

GerardV and Youngcoin like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Without going through the last four threads, and since I'm old and suffer from "CRS", AND since I can't remember who I picked as the owners of the first four coins, I think this coin belongs to Curtisimo. My reasoning is the reasoning for including it in his collection. It just sounds like something he would say.

Mine looks like a turkey!
    Julia Mamaea 1.jpg

8. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

My vote is @H8_modern because he is the last person I have to guess and I’m too lazy to think any harder than that.

Licinius II
    A.D. 317
    DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C; laureate and draped bust left, globe and sceptre in left hand, mappa in right hand.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; campgate with three turrets and no doors.
    in ex. MHT∆
    RIC VII Heraclea 19

CF69CC6E-2A12-4328-86C6-D0F0FB99337E.jpeg

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

This is so @FitzNigel, definitely his style coin, and as for my coin a republican Denarius with a female obverse. Concordia, Villa Publica reverse 55 BC, 3.6gm, Cr429/2b. 55 BC republic Villa Publica.jpg

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Ok, I was hoping this one would fit in with H8_modern, and I believe it does, so he is my choice. Not because of the coin, but because he seems to keep his posts really short... not a guy of a lot of words, and this description is the shortest of all in total length. But yeah, he'd have this coin.

A neat coin:

[​IMG]

11. Kasia

ps, I will think about switching the first three choices.

GerardV likes this.
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

For the benefit of anyone that wants to try and guess all 5 you can hit the buttons at the bottom of the OP to reveal the coins from previous rounds. No need to go back and research the old threads! :)

GerardV and Kasia like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I am going Curtismo because I have not picked him before and also: Belgian Trappist Ale!

apameia ae 1a.jpg

John

14. Youngcoin

Curtisimo
    Zumbly
    Serverus Alexander
    H8_Modern
    Fitznigel

That's my final list!

Also here's a coin I just dropped the background out of for fun, it looks bad though :p.

1512791876873.png

Thanks,
    Jacob

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My vote is @@H8_modern because he is the last person I have to guess and I’m too lazy to go back and reconsider the others. Also, I have met H8 in person (I have met very few CT regulars) and may have infected him with a Domna desire.

I voted for all five and a different person for each of the five so there is an outside chance I got them all right and no chance whatsoever that I got just four right. The statistic I do not want is the one saying I went 0 for 5!
    Zumbly
    [​IMG]
    .SpoilerTarget" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; font-family: Calibri, "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 21px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/form-button-white-25px.png") center top repeat-x rgb(220, 220, 235); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(221, 221, 235) rgb(179, 179, 189); border-radius: 7px; box-shadow: rgb(200, 200, 210) 0px 1px 4px 0px; text-shadow: transparent 0px 0px 0px, white 0px -1px 2px; outline: none; cursor: pointer; height: 23px;">Spoiler: Anonymous Coin #2

SA
    [​IMG]
    .SpoilerTarget" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; font-family: Calibri, "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 21px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/form-button-white-25px.png") center top repeat-x rgb(220, 220, 235); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(221, 221, 235) rgb(179, 179, 189); border-radius: 7px; box-shadow: rgb(200, 200, 210) 0px 1px 4px 0px; text-shadow: transparent 0px 0px 0px, white 0px -1px 2px; outline: none; cursor: pointer; height: 23px;">Spoiler: Anonymous Coin #3

Curtisimo
    [​IMG]
    .SpoilerTarget" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; font-family: Calibri, "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 21px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/form-button-white-25px.png") center top repeat-x rgb(220, 220, 235); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(221, 221, 235) rgb(179, 179, 189); border-radius: 7px; box-shadow: rgb(200, 200, 210) 0px 1px 4px 0px; text-shadow: transparent 0px 0px 0px, white 0px -1px 2px; outline: none; cursor: pointer; height: 23px;">Spoiler: Anonymous Coin #4

FitzNigel
    [​IMG]

Of course my state of mind may not remember which of these I voted for in the threads but I think I got them in the right order whether or not I got any right.

My extra coin is a bit similar.
    rk5440bb0525.jpg

16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Don't want to repeat choosing Zumbly or Severus Alexander, for this coin definitely fits in either one's collection, so I'm going with Fitznigel, since IIRC he's posted a Roman woman or two in the past (too lazy to check).

Here's another silver coin for this thread, one that I rarely get to post:

[​IMG]

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'm going with SA, because I think he is the only one I haven't voted for.

My celator knew what a peacock looks like...

102_4977_zps724d8b96.jpg

18. Kasia

My final list is the same as I originally went with, but now I have actual 'reasons' behind my staying with these rather than pure dumb luck guesses (I hope). I think any of these coins could have belonged to any of the choices, so I used a different tact - I tried to put what I saw from these peoples postings about their coins to get a sense of what they liked or felt called to, and what they said about those coins, including writing style, punctuation, and literary choices of expression...anything to make them unique to me to compare to the entries and get a sense of who might own what.

1. Severus Alexander - a toss up between SA and Curtisimo for the coin itself until I felt #3 for the why was more than likely Curtisimo, so this left SA here
    2. Zumbly - A bow to the crowd, it seemed overwhelming
    3. Curtisimo - likes to tell a story, and that write-up was a neat story
    4. FitzNigel - unless he sold this shortly after acquiring it, I can't see someone else of the other four also having one
    5. H8_modern - short why

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My vote is Curtismo
    Why? Coz I haven't picked him yet and the comment does sound like something he might say

Faustina II[JR]Sestertius.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm going with Severus Alexander on this one, because...

... because it's a completely wild guess, that's why. :oops:

21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

@Curtisimo , aka the birdman,
    The husband of Julia Domna , Septimius Severus , a copper As slighly worn:

P1190319.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted