TIF's 2014 Year in Review

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 21, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It was a very good year for my collection. I have not counted the number of ancient coins acquired-- and most definitely have not tallied the cost. I don't want to face that reality :D.

I started collecting ancient coins in 2013. I bought more coins that year but the volume was from large mixed lots. This year I've been more purposeful in selections.

I intended to post my five favorites of 2014. That proved impossible. So did the top ten. I've settled for the top 13 but still feel bad about the ones left out. The photo is not arranged in order of favorites. The top spot goes to my beloved Agathokles tetradrachm. Beyond that, the favorites ranking varies daily.

TIF-2014Favorites_edited-2.jpg

Top to bottom, left to right. Links are to CoinTalk posts or my website, if not yet formally posted on CT. I'm still far behind on writeups and posts:

Doson tetradrachm, which finally escaped the postal Bermuda Triangle and made it home.
    Agathokles tetradrachm, a nail-biting auction experience.
    Philip II tetradrachm (ex Colosseo Collection)
    Septimius Severus Circus Maximum denarius (ex Colosseo Collection)
    Elagabalus denarius, Transporting the Sacred Stone of Emesa
    Julius Caesar denarius with Venus Genetrix driving a biga of Cupids (ex RBW Collection)
    Plautius Plancus denarius with Medusa/Aurora (ex Jonathan Kern Collection)
    Mussidius Longus denarius, Sol/Shrine to Venus Cloacina
    Lydian Lion EL trite
    Celtic Germania, "Little Dancing Man" quinarius
    Phoenician dishekel
    Phoenician provincial, Elagabalus/Dido building Carthage
    Nero sestertius, Annona and Ceres.

Reading the history about these coins has provided many hours of entertainment and I tried to share that fun with various writeups. Among my favorites were A Boy and His Stone, A Deity Worthy of Respect, and A Coin of the Purple People.

In 2014 I worked hard on a website for my coins. Various forum gallery options just weren't cutting it. I'm slowly adding content and writeups; it is always a work-in-progress. One part of the site which is particularly fun to work on is the Stories section.

One of the best things about collecting ancient coins is sharing them on this forum. Thanks, everyone, for your coin camaraderie. I hope 2015 brings you many coins and much fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Curtisimo, krispy, Aidan_() and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

You have a coin photo in your bathroom? That is awesome!

...I bet even Doug can't top that! :D

Anyhow, it's been a fun year, cheers coin sister!!!

randygeki and TIF like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's not just any coin photo, it's a denarius showing Cloacina's shrine. The photo is of the TIF Shrine to Venus Cloacina :D

randygeki and vlaha like this.
  5. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Watch out Tif, that irony cannon is loaded... :D

Aidan_() likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

To say that you've put together a truly inspiring collection of coins in 2014 would be to tell only half the story. I think major props need to be given for the effort you've put into presenting them as well. Your photos are always eye candy and your writeups simultaneously edifying and rib-tickling. Coin on, TIF!

Oh, and that Top 13?... I'll take one of each, please! :D

TIF likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

There are no words that can express the beauty of these coins. Amazing is the closest I can think of at the moment.

TIF likes this.
  8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

After I get a grip, I will make comment on how awesome each of these coins are.

TIF likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great coins TIF, and the site is really coming along...i stopped by there the other day.

i think the agathokles teteradrachm is my favorite, followed by JC cupid biga, and little celtic awesomeness.

but there is plenty of awesomeness up there in that pic.

TIF likes this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's just TIF : Terrific, Imaginative, Fantastic

Q

vlaha, Okidoki and TIF like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:shame: Thanks, Q!

12. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

excellent

TIF likes this.
  13. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Its like going to a museum, excellent coins, art, great info, well thought out graphics.i'm kind of surprised the Pontos medusa coin didn't fit here, one of the best seen, thanks for posting your great work and can't wait to see your 2015 purchases. You really bring this forum to life.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year..:)

TIF likes this.
  14. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

i am still looking on a cloacin coin .... 1 Day.....

TIF likes this.
  15. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Some really awesome coins, and cool looking website. Don't know how you can pick a top 10 or 13 when they all look that good.

TIF likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, it is wonderful that you've gathered TIF's Top-13 Greatest Hits on one awesome rocking album!! (it's definitely gonna go platinum!!)

I love coining with you and think that you're an amazing coin comrade and certainly one of my coolest and closest coin-friends!!

Coin Princess => you "rock" ... and I am looking forward to goofing around with you in 2015 (maybe on next year's album, I can be one of your back-up singers?)

back-up singers.jpg

Cheers, TIF => you've definitely made my 2014 coin-year a good time!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    TIF likes this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

And awesome year! Such beautiful coins

Oh man.... that happens to me all the time.

TIF likes this.
  18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Right back at you.

Don't you have a 15 shekel of Carthage? Are you telling me that didn't make the top 13? I think you should add it here as a post script. :)

TIF likes this.
  19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

You really have a nice collection for only collecting since 2013. I don't know why but I thought you had collected for longer than that.

Keep collecting. You may end up with a really awesome collection in the years to come if you keep going.

TIF likes this.
  20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think she already has an awesome collection.

TIF and Gil-galad like this.
  21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Agreed, Bing. But I mean really awesome. lol

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted