[ancients] Nero sestertius: two goddesses lounging by the dock

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 28, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I was hunting for a Nero and this was just too beautiful to pass up...

NeroSestertiusAnnonaCeres-LG.jpg
    Nero (AD 54-68)
    Rome, 63 AD

Orichalcum sestertius, 34 mm, 26.7 gm
    Obv: NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP; laureate head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVGVSTI CERES; Ceres, veiled and draped, seated left, holding corn ears and torch, her feet on stool, facing Annona standing right, holding cornucopia; between them, modius on garlanded altar; in background, stern of ship
    Ref: RIC 98. Cohen 24
    NGC Choice XF 5/5 - 3/5, Fine Style (please click the picture to enlarge :))

The arrival picture shows the hazards of shipping bulky ancient coins in slabs. The coin was knocked askew. Maybe he was just trying to break out of jail. I tried the vise method this time but ultimately a big hammer was required to set him free.
    NeroAskewInSlab-Med.jpg

CNG's blurb about the type:

"In order to endear himself, Nero granted many largesses to the common people in the form of congiaria---typically personified by Annona, a provision for one year usually in the form of grain, and by Ceres, the goddess of agriculture and a representation of the grain itself."

I'd hoped to have a concise summary of Nero ready to roll when the coin arrived... but it is here and I haven't finished reading pertinent portions of The Annals (Tacitus), De Vita Caesarum (Suetonius), and various other accounts of his reign. One thing is clear though-- there's a lot more to Nero than fire and a fiddle (and that legend isn't accurate anyway). Accounts vary for some important stories, though all accounts are loaded with lurid details-- some more lurid than others.

Apparently the citizens liked him well enough, at least for a while. This Annona and Ceres coin served to remind the citizenry of his largesse.

When and if I finish reading about him, I'll try to do a vlaha-style book report. Given what I've read so far, it may not be fit for an all-ages forum...

For now though, I think these goddesses need captions. Go for it! Best one wins the coin (kidding). Oh, and post your Neros too. :D

AnnonaAndCeresConversation.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

All of the captions I'm coming up with are too racy for CT.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. John Anthony

It's funnier if you think of Ceres as a male. Anyway - superb coin, yowza!!!

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a nice coin but it is not Choice XF (NGC notwithstanding). I was brought up to expect XF Roman portraits to have fine detail in the individual leaves of the laurel wreath. VF coins were supposed to have the individual leaves outlined but did not need details on the leaves. I see details on the top leaves but not on the ones near the ear. I'll go aXF. The reverse is nicer than the obverse. There are very few really choice XF coins. I don't have a perfect one but the obverse of this Septimius is close.
    [​IMG]

Nero is another matter. My dupondii are not even close but the green patina makes the fine Securitas look better than the more detailed (aVF or is it VF?) raw surfaced Victory (a water coin?).
    re1090b01615oldlg.jpg re1100b01985lg.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Stunning coin and lovely coins by everyone else.

TIF likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

AnnonaAndCeresConversation.jpg

wow...that is a wonderful nero coin, and what a cool reverse. congrats on this pick up TIF!

RaceBannon, randygeki, Ripley and 4 others like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

SOMEbody has been watching Kevin Smith movies ;)

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow! Absolutely stunning coin TIF. Congrats on the newP.

If I were more tech savvy, I'd repost a pic of your coin with captions in the bubbles. But how bout I post my most recent Nero acquisition instead:

Nero; 66 AD
    AE As; Lugdunum Mint; 29mm/9.3g
    Obv: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR POT PP; Bust of Nero facing right
    Rev: SC in field; singed Victory walking left with shield emblazoned with SPQR
    (RIC 541)
    Nero As Obv.JPG Nero As Rev.JPG

randygeki, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow TIF, you sure can find them, dead center, awesome coin, super pickup...

TIF likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

When I showed a cropped version of the listing picture to another forum member sometime after purchase, he asked what the NGC grade was. I had to look at the auction listing because I didn't notice the grade.

I really don't care if NGC graded this F or Gem MS+. To borrow a (horrible) phrase, "it is what it is". And "what it is" is a lovely sestertius of Nero with an exceptional reverse, with a price that compared favorably to similar coins when "graded" by my eyes.

14. John Anthony

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sproooiinnnggg!!!

Wow, Coin-Princess => that is one pretty lookin' coin (I love the ol' ship-stern in the background ... very cool)

Congrats on another fantastic pick-up (I'm very jealous of that baby!!)

=> Bannon, you took the words right outta my mouth!! (sadly, I do not have the skilz to doctor-up the thought balloons ... I need my office techy-dudes)

Ummm yah, but it's probably kinda lucky that I can't fill-in those thought balloons, for I'm fairly sure that my balloon-conversations would involve some sort of off-colour racy comments (*self-edited by stevex6*) that would eventually escalate and end-up landing me dead-center in the middle of "PAN, goat-territory" (s0 phew, I dodged a bullet there!!)

... anyway ...

Here is my only NERO example

nero.jpg nero2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is exactly why the coin is better off free even though its slab reported on it favorably. Now you can see just how nice it is. My question might be how it could be sold for a favorable price when contained in a high end slab. You might expect someone who buys for the slab to have paid more than someone who just liked the coin.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Perhaps that's why it sold for less than the estimate.

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

TIF, I signed in specifically to commend you on that beautiful sestertius. A very beautiful coin - I particularly like the reverse, with its wealth of detail.
    Congratulations!

TIF likes this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sorry I haven't commented before now. Busy, busy. Very nice TIF and I can only echo what all the others have said. This is a coin rivaling some of the best shown on this forum.

TIF likes this.
  20. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

It's very much to the credit of this coin that it has NOT been tooled in order to bring out the detail in the individual leaves of the laurel wreath. Far too many times, coins that are otherwise outstanding but lack fine detail in these areas are re-engraved to provide fine detail that simply wasn't in the original coin.

Realistically, I don't know what "choice" XF means anyway. In the more conventional grading system I would evaluate this coin as "about EF/EF" (obverse/reverse) and leave it at that. It's an excellent portrait and the reverse is simply outstanding.

And yes, all the funny captions I can imagine are either R or X rated.

TIF likes this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

As everyone else has said, this is a fantastic coin and I'm extremely glad you won it, especially at such a great price! It's definitely a keeper and much happier in the open air :)

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted