Featured [ancients] a coin from the Purple People

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 25, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

PhoeniciaByblosDishekel-1000.jpg
    PHOENICIA, Byblos. Uzzibaal. 350-335 BC*
    AR dishekel, 13.3 gm

Obv: Three hoplites with shields in war galley left, roaring lion's head on prow, waves below galley; hippocamp left below; Z O (N O?) in field
    Rev: Phoenician inscription*; lion attacking bull left
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 132, BMC 26.95, 4.
    acquired August 2014

*Notes
    • The date of this issue varies depending on source and ranges from 400 to 335 BC.
    • Various references translate the inscription to ‘zb‘l mlk gbl (Ozbaal, king of Byblus).

Masters of the sea
    PhoeniciaDishekelGalley-500w.jpg

Positioned at the easternmost Mediterranean, Phoenicians capitalized on the waterways and were renowned for their seamanship. Keeled-hull ships allowed them to sail the open seas and as a result, the Phoenicians developed a flourishing sea trade and unmatched naval power. You might consider them the world's first traveling salesmen.

Phoenician colonies extended to the Straits of Gibraltar. Some archaeologists believe they reached beyond Africa, even to the Americas.

Purple people
    PhoenicianDishekelMurexShell-500w.jpg

The murex shell represents Phoenicia’s namesake and prized product: purple dye. Manufactured from decomposed sea snails, the resulting purple dye is remarkably colorfast. Items dyed with Tyrian Purple in ancient times still retain their color today. Historical records indicate Phoenician purple dye was worth its weight in silver in some trading locales. Royal purple indeed; you’d have to be wealthy to afford a purple garment.

Mythologic tradition credits the discovery this dye to Herakles’s dog. Per second century mythographer Julius Pollox, Herakles was strolling on the beach and noticed his dog chewing on a rotting murex snail. The dog’s mouth was stained vibrant purple. Rubens painted the scene but apparently he didn’t study marine biology. The sea snail in this painting is a nautilus, not a murex.

Who doesn’t love a hippocamp?
    PhoenicianDishekelHippocamp-500w.jpg

The reason for the appearance of a hippocamp on these coins is speculative. Perhaps to reinforce the “we rule the seas” message? Given the location and gentle appearance of the beast, I interpret it as protecting the ship and occupants… that the Phoenicians were on good terms with this mythical creature (and Poseidon). However, hippocamps were not part of traditional Phoenician religion and lore, or if so I haven’t found the sources. This coin was struck late in Phoenician history. Perhaps by then some Greek myths were woven into the Phoenician tapestry.

The ever-popular allegory
    PhoenicianDishekelLionAttackingBull-500w.jpg

The reverse scene of a lion attacking a bull is similar to that found on many coins from many issuers. Is it merely a statement of power? An astronomical allusion? A specific threat? By the time of this coin’s striking, Phoenicia was divided into four vassal kingdoms of Persia. Was the coin a message to Macedon? Only mere decades later much of Phoenicia would fall to Alexander the Great.

If you are reading this, you can thank the Phoenicians

PhoenicianDishekelTranslation-500.jpg

Our alphabet along with virtually all others have their origin in the Phoenician’s innovative 22-letter all-consonant alphabet. Even the word “alphabet” has a Phoenician origin: an elision of the first two letters, aleph and beth, which became alpha and beta -> alphabet.

Gebal (called Byblos by the Greeks) was a hub of this erudite activity as well as a papyrus producer. The English words book and bible stem from this city’s name.

While researching this coin I thought it would be fun to translate the reverse legend. Many hours later, I gave up. The Phoenician alphabet morphed over the centuries and I’m not sure of each character's identity. Even if I were, the next step of translating it to English is impossible for a linguistic novice. I did however learn that when researching coins, it is advisable to take a break now and then and to remember to eat. I failed to do so and by the end of the translation misadventure had become giddy and started playing with substitution cryptograms.

(In case you're curious, ONBOLMLWGBL solves to “BIG BEVERAGE”. Big Beverage. This coin was just a promotional token. Buy ten vials of Tyrian Purple and get a free flagon of wine.)

Additional reading and fun links:

A Phoenician enthusiast's website
    Traces of cocaine and tobacco found on Egyptian and Sudanese mummies. Proof of Phoenicia's travel to the Americas, or not?
    Evidence of Phoenician presence in Brazil?
    Early history of sea warfare. The Phoenicians cranked it up a big notch.
    Assorted facts about Tyrian Purple dye. No, it wasn't named after a Lannister.

Comments welcome, especially answers to the questions I failed to answer. And as always, post any and all of your related coins!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

show-off

sulk face too.jpg

... just jokes, sweetie ...

=> amazing coin and as always, cool info, sista!!

Cheers

ominus1, Carthago, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D Yeah, sorry about that timing, coinbro! Post yours here too :)

Hey, wanna trade? This for your Kisthene Pigasus?

stevex6 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, and just for comparison ... here is my Mini-me version ...

Phoenicia Byblos.jpg

Mini me.jpg

... hey sister, it is kinda cool how close my version is to your version (ummm, except for the uber-coolness of your big, awesomeness!!) ...

Congrats on a fantastic coin ... you rock, CP dawg!!

RAGNAROK, ominus1, Andres2 and 17 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Superb coin, TIF, and a wonderfully engaging write-up with nice graphics. Just great! If it's any consolation, I'm lost with reading Phoenician.

TIF likes this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

applause.gif

You have set the coin-posting bar rather high.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great write up and coin!

TIF likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Love the coin, love the write up even more. And I really love the coin! But hey, what's that smudge just below it? Oops, that's just Steve's coin that got rolled over by yours. Sorry Steve! :p

Curtisimo, vlaha, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Lol! Well...they are two completely different coins, but it IS a strange coincidence that TIF and Steve posted the same rather scarce and obscure types in different denominations on the same day. What are the odds of that?

TIF likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

sad photo.gif

.... zumbly!! ... he's now on my list ...

lordmarcovan, Curtisimo and TIF like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> yah, I have to admit that it is a coin-coincidence ... TIF and I discussed it earlier, and we both realized it would be a cluster-f (but she'd already purchased her coin and I had my dealer against the ropes, so I had to pull the trigger) ... hey don't judge us because we chase the same coins!!

Ummm, sweet sister and I have pretty good taste in cool coins => jump-on our fricken rockin' bandwagon!!

Cheers

TIF and I.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Curtisimo and TIF like this.
  13. zumbly

Hehe, just jokes, Steve :D. As any coin collector worth his salt knows, the big and the tiny are all beautiful. I'd be pleased to be able own one of this type in any denomination myself (that is, if the Steve-TIF coin mafia doesn't buy them all first).

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

well, okay ... you're okay in our books (keep your nose clean)

TIF likes this.
  15. zumbly

I better come clean then, and admit that before TIF's writeup, all I knew about Phoenicia came from Asterix...

image.jpg

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh man.......

[​IMG]

seriously, what a great coin! so many cool things one there, the hippocamp is SUPER.

and nice job on the write up TIF...just they way i like all my literature...short and sweet and with lots pictures. :woot:

Curtisimo, stevex6, Eng and 2 others like this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Absolutly stunning for both coins. I'm so jealous. Congrats to both coin sis and lil brother.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and TIF like this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks everyone!

The legend translation is starting to make some sense. The second letter is supposedly a Z or Z equivalent. The language doesn't have written vowels. That "o" is a glottal stop, something very, er, foreign to an English-speaker. How do you begin a word with a glottal stop?

The king's name has a variety of English spellings and now I understand why. We're filling in the blanks. I'd also failed to use the Phoenician name of Byblos (Gebal) in my translation attempts.

The legend, as represented by letters from our modern Latin alphabet, is:

O Z B O L M L W(or K?) G B L

The glottal consonant is written with an apostrophe, although a quick Googling shows a different symbol, a dotless question mark.

'zb'l = Ozbaal, Azbaal, Uzbaal... take your pick. Same guy.

gbl = Gebal, the Latinization of the Phoenician name for Byblos.

As for MLW meaning king or ruler... okay. If they say so :D

Mikey Zee, Curtisimo and Valentinian like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

g02010b00491lg.jpg

Mine is small like Steve's but a different king (Addirmilk, circa 375-351 BC, I suspect???). Note thatwe have different 2 digit numerals above the hippocamp. Feel free to explain these. (Shaped like NO and NF?)

RAGNAROK, Makanudo, Sallent and 11 others like this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

At the moment I'm favoring it as numbers, perhaps indicating denomination.

Here's some information on their numbering system. The chart is difficult to understand. It appears that 20 can be indicated with an N or an O. Multiples of 20 are depicted (in that chart) as multiples of the letter but I don't see any examples of mixing the two. Is the N-O a number? Is it 40? Is it something else altogether, like a mint mark or engraver's initials?

As for the letters on your coins... I'm not sure what to make of the F. It doesn't look much like any of the characters I've seen. By the time these coins were issued the written Phoenician language may have appeared very different from the examples found online, which are mostly early alphabets.

Still my best guess is that they are denomination marks. What do you think?

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Watch out for One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater's coming after your coin!

[​IMG]

That is one busy coin too. Really interesting design. Amazing details on the hippocamp which is the stand out for me on the design.

Curtisimo, vlaha, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted