Justin Lee's Top 10 of 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I’ve been holding off posting this as I have a lot of coins en route at the moment and a couple are vying towards making the list. (EDIT: I have them in hand and are called out below.) Also, another “monkey wrench” in picking a best-of for the year is that some coins I bought earlier this year have found new homes in other collections via AMCC #1 earlier this month. Maybe I’ll follow up with the few that would’ve made the list? Idk yet. :rolleyes::D

Ok, here it goes…

#1 Augustus Denarius
    [​IMG]
    Augustus, AR Denarius,
    Struck 19-18 AD, Uncertain mint in Spain, possibly Colonia Caesaraugusta.

Obverse: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head right.
    Reverse: OB CIVIS / SERVATOS, oak wreath with ties upward.
    References: RIC I 40a
    Size: 17mm, 3.68g
    Notes: Banker’s mark (“F”) in left field of obverse, traces of gilding and mount (12 o’clock on obverse).

This was my main purchase as part of the inaugural AMCC auction. Augustus is by far my most favorite emperor to collect and over the fall I’d been seeking a nice denarius of his but at a reasonable price (thank you to the CT members who had reached out to my WTB post a couple months ago with offers for their denarii). This is the one I’ve found and am very happy! I also find it interesting that it is from a non-Rome mint probably in Hispania… an already existing sub-area in my collection.

#2 Domitian, Antioch
    [​IMG]
    Domitian, 81-96 AD, Antioch, Syria, AE26.
    Obverse: IMP DOMITIA-NVS CAES AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel wreath of eight leaves, fastened with pellet at top .
    References: RPC 2021
    Size: 26mm, 12.7g

This one is just so crisp and clearly struck, I just had to have it!
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-just-had-to-have-it.327334/#post-3240602

#3 Augustus, Antioch
    [​IMG]
    Augustus, 27 BC-14 AD, Antioch, Syria, AE26.
    Obverse: IMP•AVGVST• - TR•POT, laureate bust of Augustus right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel-wreath of eight leaves fastened at top with pellet, between inner and outer borders .
    References: RPC 4247
    Size: 26mm, 14g

The patina was given a cool name, "Snowfall patina", by our own @Mike Margolis.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...n-interesting-provenance.325998/#post-3226080

#4 Faustina II Sestertius, Fecunditas
    CollageMaker_20181226_233820197.jpg
    Faustina II, Wife of Marcus Aurelius
    Struck 161-176 AD, Rome mint

Obverse: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bust of Faustina II, draped, hair elaborately waved in nearly vertical lines and fastened in a low chignon at back of head, down cheek, curls, right.
    Reverse: FECVND AVGVSTAE, Fecunditas, draped, standing left, between two children and holding two infants in her arms, S-C across field.
    References: RIC III 1635
    Size: 34mm, 24.2g

I’ve really liked this reverse type, so when this one came up at a reasonable price (for a SESTERTIUS!) I jumped!

#5 Nero, Antioch (with lituus)
    CollageMaker_20181227_143002273.jpg
    Nero, 54-68 AD, Antioch, Syria, AE29.
    Obverse: IM•NER•CLAV• - CAESAR•, laureate head of Nero right, lituus below chin; all within dotted border.
    Reverse: Large SC in inner circle within laurel-wreath of eight leaves, four pellets at top; all within dotted border.
    References: RPC 4307
    Size: 29mm, 13.5g

This coin was just delivered today (one of the reasons I was holding out posting this until today) and I’m in love with the patina, the wear, the lituus, the bust style, the size and heft in the hand. Along with the above Antiochene coins, this is a star in that collection of mine. It also goes well with it’s younger, feistier coin brother with serpent below chin.

CollageMaker_20181227_163547245.jpg
    (20mm, 6.1g)

#6 Carthage Trishekel
    CollageMaker_20181227_142814803.jpg
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 201-195 BC, AE trishekel
    Obverse: Wreathed head of Tanit left.
    Reverse: Horse standing right, left foreleg raised. Faint area behind head may be worn uncertain mark.
    References: MMA 105a
    Size: 28mm, 18.3g
    Notes: Coin likely broke after casting when separating the coin from the casting “tree”.

This coin also was delivered today… the second reason for not posting this sooner. I wasn’t really aware much of the coinage of Carthage during the Punic wars until I got a nice Tanit/Horse head shekel in September and that started my interest in this time period and the coinage associated with this defeated empire. Interestingly, this coin has a similar design as the 15-shekel that @TIF has, but without the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

*That original shekel I got in September is now in the happy home of @Chris B via AMCC1!

#7 Titus As, Spes
    [​IMG]
    Titus as Caesar, AE As
    Struck by Vespasian in 77-78 AD, Lugdunum Mint

Obverse: T CAES IMP AVG F TR P COS VI CENSOR, Head of Titus, laureate, right; globe at point of neck.
    Reverse: Spes standing, left holding flower in right and raising skirt with left (anepigraphic), S-C across field.
    References: RIC II (Vespasian) 1273
    Size: 28mm, 8.7g

This coin started my fascination with 1st and 2nd century Spes reverses. You can see the post here. I find it just a beautiful and elegant reverse type. Plus, I currently have 3 more in the mail right now: 2 Vespasians and 1 Antoninus Pius.

#8 The Mamertinoi, Pentonkion
    [​IMG]
    Sicily, Messana, The Mamertinoi, 211-208 BC, AE Pentonkion
    Obverse: Laureate head of Ares left, helmet to right.
    Reverse: MAMEPTINΩN. Nude Dioskouros (or warrior) standing left, holding spear and leading horse left placing hand on head of horse; Π (mark of value) to left.
    References: Sear 1143, SNG ANS 427
    Size: 26mm, 12.9g

I really love the reverse and the idea of the sentimental warrior with his horse. You can see my write-up about this coin here.

#9 Tacitus, Alexandrian Tetradrachm
    CollageMaker_20181213_184201442.jpg
    Tacitus, 275-276 AD, Alexandria, Egypt
    AE Tetradrachm, Struck 275/276 AD

Obverse: A K K A TAKITOC CEB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: ETOYC A, Elpis standing left, holding flower and raising hem of skirt (RY 1).
    References: Emmett 3975
    Size: 19x21.5mm, 9.1g
    Ex: x6 Collection

This is just a stupendously beautiful coin! The tone, the crispness yet wear gives it a great personality! Steve really has great taste in his coins and I’m happy to have a x6 in my collection and fits right-in in my growing Egyptian set.

#10 Ptolemy IV Tetraobol
    [​IMG]
    Ptolemy IV Philopator, 222-205/4 BC, AE Tetraobol, Alexandria mint.
    Obverse: Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, on thunderbolt; uncertain radiate monogram between legs.
    References: Svoronos 1148
    Size: 37mm, 37.4g

I picked this one up for an absolute steal ($10.51) in September, and after seeing the hockey pucks during the tourney in late summer, I’ve been on the lookout for a puck, er, octobol of my own… and have been the underbidder (at more than 15x the amount this one was purchased for) 3 times on 3 different ones since.

-----------

[​IMG]
    Here's to everyone getting the coins they want in 2019 and finding a few new interests! Cheers all! Happy New Year (a little early, I know)!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My favorites are the Augustus, Domitian and Nero in that order. Nice top ten.

Justin Lee likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The Tacitus is my favourite, but I love that ‘snowfall patina’ Augustus too. :)

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That Tacitus is really nice and I'm becoming very partial to Alexandrian hockey pucks these days...nice coins all!

Justin Lee likes this.
  6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins Justin and Happy new year, its just around the corner.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice year, Justin! My faves are the Augustus, Tacitus, and Faustina Jr (appropriate reverse for that little baby factory!)

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Nice Coins !!

TheRed and Justin Lee like this.
  9. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

A great year! My favorites are the Faustina II and the Tacitus but they’re all very nice. You got that 37mm Ptolemy IV for a steal!

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That Faustina Jr sestertius is GORGEOUS! Like that Tacitus tet, too! What a great year for you, @Justin Lee !

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am in a HORRIBLE wifi area, and am going nuts waiting for all the images to download! So far, what I am seeing are great! Love the Mamertinoi, and waiting for the trishekel. I have several Mamertinois and 3 Trishekels. No way I can post them...
    Yup, finally all are in. Really like your TriSkek! Nice job on them ALL.

Justin Lee likes this.
  12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A nice variety of dates and types. Congrats!

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

The even wear on that Faustina makes for a very pleasing coin. Thanks for sharing.

Justin Lee likes this.
  14. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a great year - I love them all!!! Here's to your PUCK in 2019!!

Justin Lee likes this.
  15. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

great coins @Justin Lee . The youthful bust on the Augustus Denarius and the Faustina Sestertius- her hair is exquisite are my favorites.

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

An interesting and attractive grouping. Happy hunting in '19.

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Tacitus and Augustus have my preference
    Congrats on a great year

Q

Justin Lee likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

Justin Lee likes this.
  19. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very nice coins, Justin. Your Augustus and Faustina II coins are great.

Justin Lee likes this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are all great coins @Justin Lee . My favorites are your #1 and #2 but your Ptolemy bronze earns extra points for the fantastic deal you got. Great year man.

Deacon Ray and Justin Lee like this.
  21. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins Justin. Your Augustus is a wonderful coin and is well deserving of your top spot. My personal favorite is your Ptolemy IV tetraobol. It has a great look to it and I love Ptolemaic coins.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted