A couple of new Alexandrian tetradrachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 4, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I typed an explanation of the above but the software refused it because I was not logged in. In short: Great coin; great thread; all I can add is a few more empresses.

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The Selene is lovely. I have wanting a nice one but have always lost out thus far. The hunt continues.

I do have a collection of most of the Probus variants with the search continuing for the Probus on horseback type which is possibly still unique so may take me quite a while.

I am afraid I will bore people by wheeling out some of my Probus examples....

Probus, Billon tetradrachm

Obv:– A K M AVP PROBOC CEB, Laureate cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– Elpis (Spes) standing left, holding flower and raising skirt.
    Minted in Alexandria, Egypt. Year 2. (B over L in left field)
    Reference:– Milne 4531. Emmett 3987(2) R1. Curtis 1881. BMC 2417

[​IMG]

Obv:– A K M AVR PROBOC CEB, Laureate draped bust right
    Rev:– None, Bust of Serapis right
    Minted in Alexandria Egypt. L - E | _ Year 5. A.D. 279-280
    Reference:– Milne 4605. Curtis X-1889, Emmett 3993(5) R4. BMC -. Dattari 5544

A rare type for Probus

[​IMG]

and my favourite...

Obv:– A K M AVP PROBOC CEB, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– None, Nike advancing left, holding wreath in both hands
    Minted in Alexandria, Egypt. Year 3. (LГ in left field)
    Milne 4555. Curtis -, Emmett 3992(3)R5. BMC -.

Ex-Olympus Coins February 1992
    Ex-Keith Emmett Collection

[​IMG]

4. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

So, I mentioned provenances, and the following are a few of the resources I use in hunting provenance of Roman Egypt coins. In no particular order:

1. Savio, Numi Augg. Alexandrini (Bernardi 2007): A book of 380 plates containing the pencil rubbings that Dattari made of his entire collection of Roman Egypt coins - about 13,000 coins! Often referenced by dealers as "Dattari (Savio)", it provides an image of every coin listed in the original Dattari catalogue, plus many that were not listed. The rubbings are surprisingly detailed, though imprecise (high points show well, low points not so well). Still, it's easy to identify a coin as "ex Dattari" by matching it to a rubbing in Savio. I've done so several times.

2. Munzhandlung Basel 6: An auction catalogue from 1936, and one of the first auction catalogues to feature Roman Egypt coins. It contains several, lovely plates of coins, all from the collection of Dr. Steger. If you see a Roman Egypt coin identified as "ex Steger", this is likely the source.

3. Kerry Wetterstrom Collection: CNG (through its predecessor, CNA), sold Wetterstrom's large collection of Roman Egypt over several fixed price lists and auction sales from 1988-1990. I acquired all the catalogues, cut out the Roman Egypt sections, and had those sections cobbled together and hardbound into a single, easy-to-browse volume.

4. Walter Niggeler Collection: Volume 2 of this famous series of 1960s auction sales by Bank Leu & Munzen und Medaillen, contains a collection of stunning quality Roman Egypt drachms, presented on 7 high-quality plates.

5. Munz Zentrum Auction 52 (1984): Excellent modern catalogue entirely focused on Ptolemaic and Roman Egypt, but only the first 78 lots are Ptolemaic; the remaining 1300 lots are Roman Egypt with each coin illustrated on its description page.

Curtis, Ancient Aussie, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Speaking of Alexandrian tets of Diocletian, this one came in the mail on Wednesday! Love that Athena with Victory reverse. Diocletian Tet.jpg

6. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Here is one of Phillip I - obverse is a bit rough but I really liked the Helios reverse on this one.

Philip I tetradrachm
    13 g 22 mm
    Regnal year 6 248-249AD
    bust right laureate w cuirass AKMIOVΦIΛIΠΠOEC /
    Helios bust right L S across fields
    Emmett 3484.6

Philip Obverse.jpg Philip Reverse.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a great looking Tet!

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

That Helios is wonderful.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. I bought a recent lot of provincial tets w/ a few Alexandrians in there.
    This is the nicer of the group:
    Gordian AE Tet.png
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Gordian III. AD 238-244. Potin Tetradrachm (22mm, 13.62 g, 12h). Dated RY 2 (AD 238/9). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Zeus enthroned left, holding phiale and scepter; to left at feet, eagle standing left, head right; L B (date) to upper left.

Ex Hermanubis Collection

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice tet., though the mark on the cheek would bother me over time since it's right in the middle.

11. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Love the tetradrachms. Great history, but not too expensive. (My friends below, but not my pictures.)

TETTraqO.jpg TETTranquillinar.jpg
    EGYPT. Alexandria. Tranquillina (Augusta, AD 241-244). BI tetradrachm (12.55 gm).
    Dated RY 5 (AD 241/2). Draped bust of Tranquillina right, wearing stephane / Homonoia standing facing, head left, holding cornucopia. Koln 2688.

Had to look that one up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranquillina

Tranquillin.jpg

TETHadrianCad.jpg TETHadrianCadr.jpg

EGYPT. Alexandria. Hadrian (AD 117-138). BI tetradrachm (13.09 gm). Dated RY 10 (AD 126/7). Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Hadrian right / Agathodaemon serpent coiled about caduceus erect right facing Uraeus erect left; LΔ (date) ΕΚΑΤΟV around. Emmett 804. Milne 1164

guy

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    stevex6, Theodosius, icerain and 10 others like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I remember that slabbed Tranquillina from a Heritage auction last year because of the word "silvering". I guess they mean a modern treatment. Roman Egyptian tetradrachms were never silvered... were they??

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Great memory.

I've seen several (and have in my possession three) tetradrachms that have silvering. I will defer to the experts on the original appearance and degree of silvering of the tetradrachm when minted.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Good question TIF...Were any Bil Tets from Egypt ever silvered???

15. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

It makes no sense that they were gradually diluting the amount of silver in there BI-Tets from Vespasian on wards to go to the trouble of silvering in later years.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats on adding a couple more cool Alexandrian Tets, Wiz-kid

=> here are a few of my humble Alexandrian Tet examples ...

Carinus
    potina.jpg potinb.jpg

Probus

Probus and or Diocletian Alexandria Tet Eagle a.jpg Probus and or Diocletian Alexandria Tet Eagle b.jpg

Tacitus

Tacitus Alexandria TET a.jpg Tacitus Alexandria TET b.jpg

Saloninus
    saloninus.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Pishpash, zumbly, icerain and 7 others like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

stevex6 likes this.
  18. Mikey Zee

Well, since I just picked up a modest, highly worn Billon Tet of Alexandria, I might as well post it.To me, its main appeal is that it depicts Nero and Poppaea and it was VERY CHEAP!! It also complements those of Nero I already have and hopefully a future purchase of a high-grade denarius or sesterces will complete my mini-series.
    nero pop tet alexandria 13.33 grams yr 1- 63-64 ad milne 217.JPG nero pop bil tet dattari 196.JPG

Year 1 or 63-64 AD; 13.33 grams......

Pishpash, stevex6, icerain and 6 others like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Just a couple Alexandria Tets:

upload_2016-8-18_15-23-28.png
    upload_2016-8-18_15-24-14.png

Pishpash, zumbly, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I kinda like THESE Alexandrian Tets too...

upload_2016-8-18_15-29-5.png
    upload_2016-8-18_15-29-48.png

Andres2, Pishpash, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Me too!!:)

My favorite, Ptolemy II, courtesy of A-Noob:
    Ptolemy II Tet   with P-I obverse.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted