An Augustus coin with an interesting provenance

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just won this coin in the latest Savoca auction. It is not the type of coin I usually buy. It is quite worn and a bit chipped. However, I liked the portrait and I liked the provenance. The auction listed the provenance as CNG 188 Lot 183. Before I bid on the coin I looked it up on CNG and found a further provenance. It is from the collection of Richard Prideaux.

From CNG

"Richard Prideaux was born in Illinois sixty years ago. A dual national, he eventually moved to France, where he studied law and history, closing the loop opened by his ancestors the Prideaux Brothers, who crossed the Channel with William the Conqueror in 1066 before some descendants sailed to America eight hundred years later. Fond of "the first centuries" (BC and AD), he started collecting Roman coins in 1970, including a broad range of coinage from aes grave to Hadrian. Later, at the Sorbonne, when he was working on the military symbolism in Augustus' coinage, he focused his numismatic interest on the first emperor's issues, and over time assembled an extensive academic collection.

Richard Prideaux believes that understanding the mentalities of people living in the past is essential to appreciate generally how they lived, and specifically to understand their coinage. To address the questions of why, how, when and where the coins were issued, one must consider many factors, some of which may easily be forgotten or misinterpreted nowadays. He is now preparing a book about Augustus' coinage. His comprehensive study has enabled him to reinterpret various aspects of the coinage, and he has kindly communicated some of his insights which have served as the basis for notes in the following catalog."

I was the only bidder on this coin. I think I just bought something interesting for 10 Euro plus fees.

Please post your coins of Augustus or your coins of Edessa.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 4.46.37 PM.png

MACEDON, Edessa.Augustus.27 BC-AD 14. Æ
    19mm (6.23 g).
    Obv: Laureate head right
    Rev: EΔEΣ/ ΣAIΩN in two lines within laurel wreath.
    RPC I 1520; SNG Copenhagen -; BMC 17.
    Near VF, glossy grayish-green patina, patina chipped around edges.
    Ex: CNG 188 Lot 183
    From the Richard Prideaux collection
    Savoca coin Auctions Blue #11 Lot 1020
    October 27, 2018

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Curtis, galba68, dadams and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Congrats Andrew, that is a terrific bargain!

4. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

nice provenance- cool coin Andrew.
    Here is an outlier of these Augustus assarions of Antioch. Forgot who here at CT wrote this note about it when I posted it. It has a ten-leafed wreath instead of the usual 8 and the legend on the front is different. Never have found one like it yet.
    "I didnt look as closely to your coin at first, now I think @TTerrier has it right and it probably is closer to RPC4247 as I believe the portrait is laureate. So, you might call it RPC 4247 var. (as yours have 10 leaves and not 8). Nevertheless, I think the number of leaves are akin to counting the number of bricks on a Constantinian campgate.
    One possible reference for this one would be McAlee 192(a) from "The Coins of Roman Antioch", a great reference if you like coins of Antioch. The author notes that this would be RPC 4102 but that RPC has the legend wrong in that they omitted the IMP before the AVGVST. This coin has a bare head.
    The other possibility is McAlee 206(a) which has a laureate bust, RPCSupp. 1 S-4247A.
    There are differences in bust styles between the two but the easiest way to differentiate is whether there is a tie behind the head. There seems to be a hint of one on the OP but I'm not sure.
    Interesting coin!" coinbloghtaugustusAClargeantioch.jpg

5. Orfew

Thanks Mike, your coin is very interesting. It is a lot of fun trying to find the references for these coins. For me it is one o the most interesting parts of collecting the coins.

Justin Lee and Mike Margolis like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat addition

7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Orfew likes this.
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

How can you go wrong? Great pick up Andrew

Orfew likes this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Fascinating coin and provenance, @Orfew , and an interesting personality.

AUG1.jpg
    AUG2.jpg

Justin Lee, galba68, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  10. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

My recent purchase from EBay, 3 known to exist ? DA0805D7-D6F5-4400-8355-FDF3E6CC4621.png 1D593399-F553-4D2D-98D9-4192B27D7473.png

Marsyas Mike, Ryro and Bing like this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    TIF and kolyan760 like this.
  12. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

13. Justin Lee

I like your coin, Mike! And it's variation is intriguing! I just picked up a similar coin with less defined legends (I see IMP and [P]OT), but near-matching obverse portrait, and my reverse is the 8 leaves style. I'll post it when I get it in hand.

Mike Margolis likes this.
  14. Justin Lee

I've got it in-hand now, and just photo'd.
    CollageMaker_20181102_105323955.jpg
    26mm, 14g

Much like DR's coin... 8 leaves.

15. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Yes, reverse like DR's and portrait like on mine. Snowfall patina. pretty little coin of the Caesar.

Marsyas Mike and Justin Lee like this.
  16. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Struck in Apamea circa 4 BC, the following coin of Augustus has walking Nike on reverse.

Augustus 4BC Apam.jpg AugustNike    DiAssarare.jpg

17. Justin Lee

Is that an actual patina type?

18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't know, but I like it - I've had several coins like that, and "snowfall patina" does a great job of describing them.

Justin Lee likes this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

No. Its just a lot of small pits where the soil was not cleaned out, so they stand out against the natural patina. Still makes it look nice.

Justin Lee likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool coin a solid provenance @Orfew ! The chipping makes it like Augustus has some real gray!

None from Edessa, My AE provincial of Augustus...

upload_2018-11-2_17-3-5.png
    RI Augustus 27BC-AD14 Æ20 5.5g 12h Apameia Phrygia Magistrate Attalos c 15BC Two corn-ears above maeander pattern RPC I, 3125 SCARCE

21. Orfew

Thanks Brian. That is a nice one you posted.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted