Dime Missing Clad Layer

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ace71499, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey guys,
    I while ago I posted a photo of this coin and asked the same question. The results were inconclusive because I didn't have a scale. Now that I do, I will ask the same question. Do you think it is possible that this dime is missing it's clad? It's missing about .4 grams
    Thanks,
    Jason

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

On both sides. No
    Missing Clad Layer usually only occurs on one side of a coin.
    The weight of one side of a Dime missing the clad layer is about 1.85 Grams
    What is the weight of your Dime? Oh I see it 2.23
    From my collection
    3019836-003.JPG

ace71499 likes this.
  4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

A clad dime is supposed to weigh 2.27 grams, yours is showing 2.23 that's .04 of a gram light or 4/100ths of a gram, which is well within mint tolerances. IMO looks like a regular toned dime.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Dime fake alert. Check my old thread out see if any look the same. Found quite a few of these in circulation.:blackalien:

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

8. ace71499

9. Blissskr

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Swan likes this.
  11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I take offense of that. I think I proved quite adequately that the dimes I found in circulation, was someone's endeavor to electro plate the dimes that I found. And if I recall you to come up with anything different there was a lot of opinions. But when I can scratch off the electroplating I think that proves it. (But you are entitled to your opinion). USMC60

12. Blissskr

@usmc60 sorry you take offense but you posted a couple photos of one scratched up dime and another photo of normal in appearance dimes before going on to make wild claims regarding them. No where did you post any conclusive proof or even enough evidence to make such a determination. You could also have ruined a genuine error coin out of ignorance as others in that thread mentioned.

I don't understand why you'd post this below and potentially mislead a young numismatist as to the nature of his coin being a 'fake dime'.

13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Though my methods may be a little Unorthodox I have met of lot of very smart people with very high IQs. But one thing I've learned no matter how smart they are. If they don't have common sense they are useless. It seems to me that you are very smart individual. But have very little common sense. And if you can't see if scratching off plating to expose the nickel underneath proves that these dimes were all electroplated. Then I suggest you go back to reading your books and improving your IQ. Basically having a lot of knowledge is useless unless you have some common sense to back it up. And as you pointed out it's misleading information to any new collector. It's pointing out that there are other possibilities.That's only common sense.As I stated before you have the right to your opinion as do others.And another unfortunate thing in life either you have common sense or you don't.And Sir in my life not everything evolves around the monetary value of an object.One day in your life you can have all the stuff you want. And the next day you can have just the close on your back. And in life if you have common sense you will survive.Just an example you can read all the books in the world about fire starting. And maybe even get an A+ on a written test on the subject. But all that information is useless unless you can actually start a fire with the knowledge that you acquired. And if you don't believe me read up all you want on starting a friction fire. Then go get you a couple of pieces of wood and let me know how long it takes you to get them to start a fire. I personally know people that still haven't got a fire started by rubbing two pieces of wood together.Oh and another very important thing that I left out. Not only do you need common sense but a little imagination goes a long way. Put those two together and you Will be surprised what you can accomplish in life. USMC60

14. paddyman98

@ace71499
    Did you see my response and explanation on post #2?
    That's all you really need to know.
    Like the post and I will know you read it.

usmc60 likes this.
  15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

16. paddyman98

@usmc60 on CoinTalk we should call it Common Cents :woot:

usmc60 likes this.
  17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You know you are right. Even though I'm not fond of the word common, in this case it definitely applies.:D:blackalien:

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. Blissskr

@usmc60 You literally advised this YN that he likely had a fake dime with little evidence or explanation as to why. Perhaps you should take your own long winded rambling advice.

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Yes I have a tendency to rattle on. With a little clue the first indications the coin was a fake dime in appearance. Was a little common sense when he gave the weight. But I guess with your high intelligence you missed that one. There are many factors that could cause the appearance of that dime. I just gave the new member an opportunity to examine one of those factors.I guess your contribution to the new member is to badmouth other members threads. I believe this member came to CT to hopefully try and find out what kind of a dime he has. In your contribution is to put down a member who's trying to help this new member. All I say Sir is get some common sense. As Far as I'm concerned this conversation is over between us. USMC60

20. ace71499

Thank you very much for the advice... One day I'll find the real thing lol!

usmc60 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted