01-p-10c Missing something

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, May 5, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just found this one and a roll the 2001 P definitely circulated. And it seems because it's different it's pretty well beat up.:bigtears::blackalien: ml01p10c -1.jpg ml01p10c-2.jpg

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

What do you think is missing?

4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well let's see I really have to think about this one. I will say missing clad layers.

Attached Files:

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Plated or environmental damage. I'll go with plated. If you look closely at obverse at 3:00 it appears to be chipping off from all the damage.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Plated? That doesn't make sense. Please explain.

@usmc60
    How much does it weigh?

Chris

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You are correct about being damaged. Now follow that deep gouge all the way across the neck is not as deep. If you'd like a closer photo that can be arranged, thank you for viewing and your opinion.:blackalien:

8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

2.2g

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I already did. Look at the rim at 3 O'clock. Follow the line through the neck. That looks like plating on the rim and the start of the damage.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

17.8mm

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Have a look at these I don't know if they'll help, but that is the best I could do with what I have to work with.:snaphappy::blackalien:

Attached Files:

13. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Often when I try to show a colorful coin online I will photograph it against a white piece of paper so that all those that view it can judge for themselves it's true color no matter what the color balance of their monitor is set at.
    A few pics against a white background may show your coin quite well.

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

That is excellent advice. I have gotten used to photographing silver coins. I know better white brings out copper a lot better. Thanks for reminding me.:snaphappy::banghead:

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

A little better. 001-3.jpg 001-4.jpg

16. cpm9ball

Well, you didn't do a very good job of explaining it. Are you saying that there is a small sliver of the nickel layer on the rim? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Chris

17. cpm9ball

It should weigh 2.27 gms. Is your scale accurate to more than one decimal place? It's possible that your scale needs calibrating.

Chris

18. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

My gut feeling on this one is it has spent some time in a fresh water lake after it was damaged. I have fished more than a few clad coins out of fresh water swimming holes with a metal detector that have had just amazing toning. Some that resemble your coin , looking very much like copper.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

20. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

No telling where Loomis gets there coins for rolling ?:blackalien:

21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Isn't it possible that the missing weight of 0.07g could be the weight of the missing clad layers?:blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted