$40 Silver! What do You Think??

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Dec 19, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These salesmen can tell you anything they want, but you don't have to believe it. If silver gets that high, the economy will really be in in the tank. I hope we never get there.

-jeffB and midas1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Paradise, then, might surely be lost. :angelic:

midas1 likes this.
  4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Paradise Lost, by Milton.
    paradise lost book.jpg

Bob Evancho likes this.
  5. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I can see a long run on PMs after covid 19 recession and inflationary times, but the opposite may also come to be, so it's always going to be a crap shoot for me. Happy Holidays!

midas1 likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

7. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Gustave Dore was born January of 1832. The silver to gold ratio was 15:1. In 1834 the Silver and Gold ratio was raised to 16:1. When Dore passed away in 1883, the silver and gold ratio was 18.4:1. One ounce of gold bought 18.4 ounces of silver. In 51 years of Dore's lifetime, the silver and gold ratio changed very little. What has the ratio done during your current life, not counting unusual events. As for me, in 1949 gold was $31.69 per ounce and silver was 70 cents per ounce or 45.27:1. Today as I type this the ratio is 73:1. Have faith. There is a chance in a your lifetime the value of silver will go back to $40 per ounce. It's been there a couple times. What unusual event or drop in the value of the dollar will bring it to $40 per ounce?

midas1 likes this.
  8. -jeffB

That's because it was more or less fixed by law. Those laws led to spirited, and sometimes violent, political conflict. They also led to economic upheaval, as the gold supply suddenly increased (various gold rushes) or dropped (a single shipwreck kicking off a depression).

I'm happy to trade a fixed gold/silver ratio for a more distributed and more stable economy.

(lights fuse, runs away...)

midas1 and Bob Evancho like this.
  9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

10. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

midas1 likes this.
  11. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I've always found the discussion on gold and silver entertaining. There is good and bad when looking at silver and gold as an investment. Personally, I have a small stash of silver coins and some gold coins. I think silver and gold bars or rounds are only good if someone is willing to take them. So basically a waste of money. Silver and gold coins are great if the entire economy goes down. So as a investment it's not great. It's emergency money and it should be looked at that way.

Now for the bad news related to stocks and bonds. Lets assume the markets crash. I'm not talking about a drop in value I'm talking about total or close to total wipe out. 1929 was a close to wipe out. That would also mean the federal government can no longer back it up. Then the stocks and bonds have zero value. In other words your stocks and bonds are toilet paper. This can happen and has happened. You could have a thousand shares in Microsoft but, if Microsoft goes under you have ZERO. This can happen. You can have all the paper you want but if no one wants it your done.

Right now I have no idea why the stock market is as high as it is. There is no reason with the amount of people out of work and the government just printing paper money with nothing backing it at some point the federal reserve will implode. Everyone needs to understand that the cities and towns are not getting the tax income they were normally getting so they will run out of money soon. What can they do? Get rid of their employees, stop paying for health care, stop paying pensions and all the benefits they give out. So what can they do? The state governments are in the same boat. So what's next go to the federal government? Guess what they have the same problem. So their only choice is to print more green toilet paper. See the picture below of Germany after WW 1. German Money Burned as Fuel.jpg German Money After WW 1.jpg

coinaline and Bob Evancho like this.
  12. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I don’t think I would want silver to be $40 an ounce. Or gold to be $2000+ an ounce.

Usually when precious metals skyrocket like that it means something terrible has happened and the economy is in crappy condition.

I would much rather have a strong economy with low precious metals prices so I can keep stacking and buying gold & silver coins at lower prices so in the event a really horrible thing happens I’ll be prepared.

That’s just me though.

coinaline, -jeffB and midas1 like this.
  13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I will take 40 or 2000 an ounce. What kind of condition are we in now.. Crappy.. UNEMPLOYMENT people continue to die off with no Covid plan in place AND ITS ONLY 25.00.

14. -jeffB

I just can't see how holding more silver will help fight COVID or unemployment.

midas1 likes this.
  15. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

It won't help fight covid or unemployment , but will help to protect your wealth.

coinaline likes this.
  16. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

Economy won't be same anymore after all those money being printed , and the debt all time high .

coinaline likes this.
  17. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

There's no end in sight for massive deficit spending. In the not too distant future interest on the national debt will reach >$trillion/year.

18. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Sometimes the discussions here feel like the prepper boards I belong to....I dont know how much silver (and or gold) you guys have. But in my case even if silver goes to $40 (or 60) an ounce all it means for me is to be able to ride out an other few months of some complete economic collapse. I am not going to live comfortably for years in some "new great depression" using my PM's. Its just a way for me to have fun (love PM coins) and achieve the overall recommendations to have 3-6 months of emergency everything (money, food, meds, etc) to ride out some common disasters (job loss, extreme medical bills, local weather or fire loss, etc)

coinaline, JustSomeDude and midas1 like this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I always set a goal point for buying and selling PMs. Right now I'm very close to my sell point, which I missed a while back while on vacation. Usually you only have a couple days on the highs and lows to make your move. If the silver goes up another buck, then it's sell time!

20. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I must agree with your comments. I don't know what is holding the economy together right now. Unemployment is really at 20 to 25% don't be fooled by CNN or other news broadcasters are saying. For those that still have jobs some have been given pay cuts. Also when they talk about new jobs added most of those jobs are low paying jobs. So when discussing gold and silver as an investment it's not. It's survival money. Covid-19 has just shown the world how weak we really are. The world economy is on the edge of a cliff. Humans have beat many enemies but, viruses will win every time. We will beat Covid but the damage has already been done. So Covid has already won the war. So the bottom line is never assume gold and silver are good investments. Gold and silver are great to have and use for trade. Humans have an over 5,000 year history of using gold and silver for trade. That will never go away.

midas1 and coinaline like this.
  21. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

We have two (or three or four) economy's in USA. For those making over 75-100K (white, college educated professionals) the unemployment has been very low. They are working from home, saving on expenses from that, refinancing their homes to historic low rates to save more money, homes have shot up in value, and their 401K's are doing well with the stock market. Car sales are even up. The top 1% have made out like bandits. But the bulk of the country as you say is not doing well - and thats going to continue to impact us for a while - not to mention federal/state/local governments who are in terrible shape with debt, loss of tax revenue, etc.

midas1, coinaline and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted