World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice haul, stldanceartist

stldanceartist likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Why thank you! I'm very pleased - especially with the tiny pile of holed silver coins, because my grandmother hates holed coins. I, however, always bring them and pretend like she said they are her favorites.

(gotta keep her on her toes at 91)

Also, if anyone has the time, I'd sure appreciate it if they could stop by and help me figure out what my huge Vietnamese coin is in this thread.

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I picked up my new avatar last week. I have wanted one of these since I first started collecting when I was twelve years old.

1 Annam 7 Tien 1834 obverse 60pct less 5.jpg
    2 Annam 7 Tien 1834 reverse 60pct less 5.jpg

5. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Please tell more about that Chinese coin. The only characters I recognize are the "Ming" at 12 O'clock position on one side and the numerals 5 and 10 below the dragon, although the 10 looks like not correct, possibly something else.

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

It is a silver 7 Tien from Annam issued under the rule of Minh Mạng 明命, 1820-41. This coin is from YR 15 or 1834. It is a rather hefty coin at 41 mm and weight of over 27 g.

There is a picture of another example in this Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minh_Mạng

Here is a smaller cash of the same era...

Annam Minh Mang 1820 1841 bronze.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    PaddyB likes this.
  7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@Muzyck Can you give a partial slab shot for us to see how massive the coin is? Pricey? I really like it

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

These go for a quite a bit more than the values listed in Krause. This is probably the most common of the 7 Tien silver coins from Annam, KM#195.

slab.JPG

Obone, rp3989, JPeace$ and 4 others like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

A lot of people around here are getting these lately, and count me among them. 1932 danzig 10 pfennig.jpg

sonlarson, spirityoda, rp3989 and 9 others like this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I made a small haul with Heritage from last week (I think). Some multi coin lots wherein I was after one coin, so now I have a few dupes.

This was actually a new date. It's in an old NGC slab with the solid insert (as can be seen in the intruding white bits). It's not quite full red like the slab calls it, but it's been in there awhile and no weird fingerprints at least. Just a few spots:
    combo f1f1f1.jpg
    1886/Meiji 19 1/2 sen. 64RD (though not quite exactly anymore).

Also picked up the next two as part of lots that had upgrades for me. I liked the looks of these though too:

combo.jpg
    1906/Meiji 39 in an old style/no prong NGC 66 slab. Looked very lifeless on the Heritage photos, but in real life, has a nice bit of luster and pretty pastels.

and:

combo.jpg
    1916/Taisho 5, in an old no line/fatty slab. Very dark around the rims but some great bits of color in there too. Also a nice bit of luster my shots don't show. Heritage's shots were even dingier. This was not a target coin, just came in the lot with the others, but in hand I liked it. Shoot, I'd thought the slab was the more interesting bit until it showed up in hand.

There were a few more, but I'm still working on the photos.

jj00, sonlarson, spirityoda and 13 others like this.
  11. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

12. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

13. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

got this from a friend today. I don't think I have any other coins with cannons on them. also the "3" in the date looks a little off to me.
    [​IMG]

sonlarson, spirityoda, rp3989 and 4 others like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Could have been hand punched into the working die, I am not sure how these coins were produced.

15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Last week it was Heritage, this week, Stacks. Sigh.

**In case anyone looks back, this post has a late edit as somehow I messed up my files and mixed up my purchases in my head. This post originally had the wrong info associated with the photo.**

First buy was a 10 sen that has an incorrect date/label on it. I'd initially bid on it remembering what it really was, but somehow in labeling my files had added the incorrect information (from another coin) which is what I posted here.

I like to buy these so I can send them back and get the correct labelling done (well, as long as it's a decent coin for the 'right' price, and a coin I want).

The auction had another incorrect date, but that was a coin I wasn't interested in. I notified Stacks and they corrected the listing. This one did sell for the lower/correct price so it was all good and can go back for a mechanical error correction next time I send something to NGC.
    combo.jpg

Next up, this 20 sen. There was a 10 sen with a similar look, but it got away from me. It came with an attached auction tag from 1996. Looks better in hand with super flashiness I don't know how to photograph.

combo.jpg

And a silly little buy from eBay, I wanted a nice one to photo for a side project. Don't often see the pocket change in MS-67 (well, or higher).
    combo.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    jj00, sonlarson, Steve66 and 8 others like this.
  16. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

That "3" does look a little off.....but then again, I'm a little off, so we cancel each other out. Nice coin...I like the cannons too! :):):)

17. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

One of two 1704 Queen Anne Maundy 4 Pence pieces that I picked up

1704 Anne Maundy 4p Obv.jpg

1704 Anne Maundy 4p Rev.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, Steve66 and 7 others like this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Couple of NEWPS. The Franc was purchased simply because I love the design. I had never seen it before and for the price, am happy to add it to my collection.

I love the history of the German Taler. I have a book on them, but haven't spent much time studying it, so I'm hoping this will get me to spend some more time on them.

jj00, sonlarson, spirityoda and 9 others like this.
  19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That 1860 Taler!! :wideyed: Jelly!!

JPeace$ likes this.
  20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

These came today. I guess I had a yen for some more Japanese coins... 1835-1890 JP 100 m obv.JPG 1835-1890 JP 100 m rev.JPG 1853-1865 JP 1 s obv.JPG 1853-1865 JP 1 s rev.JPG

21. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

A new guilder arrived for me to pinch. Dutch Republic, province of Utrecht, 1 gulden/guilder 1786.
    1GU1786.jpg 1GU17862.jpg

sonlarson, Steve66, Nas and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted