What is your most valuable coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where everyone can share it's most valuable coin, valuable doesn't have to be the most expensive coin, it can also be the most rare coin you own. It's nice to see as a beginner how many different ancient coins actually exist, very interesting. Let this topic explode with your fine coins!

Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Okay :D

Here's a coin that isn't rare but the dies used on this particular coin are of unusually fine style, the centering is excellent, the strike deep (although it didn't fill completely on the obverse-- that's probably lack of fill rather than wear on the high points of Arethusa's hair), and the condition is high. It is my most expensive coin by a mile and I don't regret a cent. As you noted, cost and value are not necessarily the same but it this case they walk together.

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BCE)
    struck 310-305 BCE
    AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
    Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
    Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
    Ref: Ierardi 12 (O2-R8); SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-adventures-in-bidland-agathokles-tetradrachm.243930/

I have many rarities, mostly Roman provincial. The ones shown below have high value no matter how you define it.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian. Regnal year 10, CE 90/91. Æ diobol (25mm, 10.86 g, 12h). AVT KAICAP ΔΟ ΜΙΤ CEB ΓΕΡΜ, laureate head right / Agathodaemon serpent, wearing the skhent crown (emblematic of upper and lower Egypt), on horseback galloping left; L I (date) below. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) –; K&G 24.109; RPC II 2585; SNG Copenhagen 214; Emmett 277.10 (R5).
    Ex Giovanni Maria Staffieri Collection
    Ex West Coast/Lloyd Beauchaine Collection (Classical Numismatic Group 41, 19 March 1997), lot 1110
    Ex Classical Numismatic Review Vol. XVI, No. 1 (January 1991), lot 31
    Ex Numismatic Fine Arts Fall Mail Bid Sale (18 October 1990), lot 2365

Appearances:
    Staffieri, Alexandria In Nummis 39 (this coin)
    Obverse illustrated in Emmett as the header for the Domitian section, p. 24 (this coin)
    Fully illustrated in Emmett, p. 26 (this coin, discussing the unusual reverse).
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so-these-exist-snake-cowboys.314032/

[​IMG]
    LYDIA, Philadelphia. Caracalla
    Ioulianos, strategos
    Æ 31, 16.7 gm, CE 198-217
    Obv: AVT K M AVP ANTΩNЄINOC; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: ЄΠI CTPA IOVΛIANOV A ΠOΛ ΦIΛΑΔЄΛΦЄΩN; horse prancing left surmounted by serpent coiled left
    Ref: BMC 85. Rare.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Nero
    Regnal year 14 (CE 67/8)
    AE diobol; 27 mm, 10.9 gm
    Obv: NEPΩKΛAVK[AIΣΣEBΓEPA]; laureate head right
    Rev: L - IΔ; "vase" (Emmett), or "oinochoe" per others (others are probably correct)
    Ref: Dattari-Savio Pl. 1, 2 (this coin); Dattari cf 286; RPC 5322; Emmett 153.14; Poole (BM, 1892) cf 188?; Milne -; none in a few other minor references I own. Rare.
    ex Dattari collection (Giovanni Dattari, 1858-1923)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/more-to-this-than-meets-the-eye.309276/

[​IMG]
    THRACE, Hadrianopolis. Gordian III
    AE 18 mm, 2.59 gm
    Obv: AVT K M ANT ΓORΔIANOC AVΓ; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: AΔPIANOΠOΛEITΩN; ostrich running right
    Ref: Varbanov 3833, rare
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-now-extinct-animal-on-a-roman-coin.287175/

I could keep going with the rare/valuable provincials but here are a few more Greeks.

Not particularly common and in unusually good condition:
    [​IMG]
    BRUTTIUM, the Brettii
    216-214 BCE
    Æ quartuncia, 13.5mm, 2.06 g
    Obv: head of Amphitrite left, wearing crab headdress
    Rev: crab; torch above, BPET-TIΩN above and below
    Ref: Pfeiler p. 33, 4a; Scheu, Bronze 51; HN Italy 1944; SNG ANS 123–4; SNG Lloyd –; McClean 1579
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-bronze-of-the-brettii-poseidons-wife.274722/

Same as above; not common and in unusually good condition:
    [​IMG]
    SICILY, Selinos.
    Circa 410 BCE
    AR litra, 11mm, 0.76 g, 1h
    Obv: nymph seated left on rock, right hand raised above her head, extending her left hand to touch coiled serpent before her; selinon leaf above
    Rev: man-faced bull standing right; ΣEΛINONTIOΣ above; in exergue, fish right
    Ref: Potamikon, p. 116 figure 152 (this coin); HGC 2, 1229; SNG ANS 711–2 var. (ethnic); SNG Ashmolean 1904–5; SNG Lloyd 1270 var. (same); Basel –; Dewing –; Rizzo pl. XXXIII, 6. Rare.
    ex MoneyMuseum, Zurich;
    ex Leu 79 (31 October 2000), lot 404;
    ex Athos Moretti collection, #482, unpublished manuscript.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/selinos-litra-this-tiny-coin-has-it-all.258915/

And a few Romans Imperials for the pot:

[​IMG]
    Nero
    struck in Rome, CE 63
    Orichalcum sestertius, 34 mm, 26.7 gm
    Obv: NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP; laureate head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVGVSTI CERES; Ceres, veiled and draped, seated left, holding corn ears and torch, her feet on stool, facing Annona standing right, holding cornucopia; between them, modius on garlanded altar; in background, stern of ship
    Ref: RIC 98. Cohen 24

Elagabalus, transporting the sacred stone of Emesa. Not hugely expensive but sought after:

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus
    AR denarius, 19.4 mm, 3.5 gm
    Antioch, 218-219 CE
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev: SANCT DEO SOLI / ELAGABAL, Quadriga right, bearing sacred Baetyl stone, flanked by four parasols
    Ref: RIC IV 195
    Vauctions 310, lot 250 (25 Sept 2014)
    ex CNG Mail Bid Sale 33, lot 914 (15 March 1995)

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-a-boy-and-his-stone.254886/

Another sought after type:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
    ex Colosseo Collection

And another desirable Severan:

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna
    AR denarius, 19.5mm, 3.17 gm, 6h. Rome mint
    Struck under Septimius Severus, circa AD 207-211
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA; draped bust right
    Rev: Fecunditas or Tellus (Earth) reclining left under tree, resting arm on basket of fruit and placing hand on celestial orb; standing before her are four children representing the Four Seasons
    Ref: RIC IV 549 (Septimius Severus); RSC 35
    ex R.H. Collection

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    GregH, galba68, Archilochus and 44 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@TIF you make me envious with those beauties. I will have to think on it an post later, but none of mine can compare to yours @TIF

galba68, Justin Lee, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

@TIF Amazing coins!

If I was that horse with a snake on my back, I'd run too!

Justin Lee, Pellinore and TIF like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have been very fortunate in my collecting :).

[​IMG]

:D

Deacon Ray, Cucumbor, Ajax and 19 others like this.
  7. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

@TIF thankfully I have a beard right now or surely my drool would've dripped all over my phone whilst viewing those masterpieces and pieces of masters!
    Hmmm. I do collect me some rarities but I'm not certain which one was most expensive.
    CollageMaker Plus_201846145613319.png

Pertinax
    Denarius. IMP CAES P HELV
    PERTIN AVG, laureate head
    right / VOT DECEN TR P COS
    II, emperor sacrificing left,
    with patera held over tripod
    altar. RSC 56RIC 13a, RSC
    56, BMC 24

CollageMaker Plus_20184615328723.png

MANLIASCANTILLA
    wife of Didius Julianus.
    Augusta, 193 AD. Æ Sestertius
    (24.70 gm). Draped bust right /
    Juno standing left, holding
    patera and sceptre; to left,
    peacock standing left, head
    right. RIC III 18a smallish squared
    flan,dark green patina, sl grainy,
    obv portrait is clear! Former FRC

CollageMaker Plus_2018461529237.png

LAELIANUS

269 CE. Antoninianus (19
    MM, 2.66 gm). Mint city II
    (Cologne). Radiate and
    cuirassed bust right / Victory
    advancing right, holding
    palm and wreath. RIC V 9;
    AGK 1c;

CollageMaker Plus_201846153711259.png

Nigrinian
    DIVO NIGRINIANO AE
    Antoninian CONSECRATIO
    Reverse: Eagle. Very Rare

But still my fav...
    CollageMaker Plus_20184617621926.png

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

SHEKEL OF TYRE 1.jpg
    Probably my Tyre Shekel. These have shot up in price pretty aggressively in the past 10-15 years, more so than other coins, it seems.

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

There's a difference between rare and valuable. Value has much more to do with demand than with supply.

Every collector of Roman provincial coins has examples that are unpublished and therefore presumably rare. For example, this denarius-sized bronze of Julia Domna from Nicaea in Bithynia is nowhere to be found online. Although this reverse type is known for Septimius Severus, there isn't one of Julia Domna in Recueil général des monnaies grecques d'Asie mineure; it's not at Wildwinds, not at Coin Archives, not at acsearchinfo, not at CNG's archives, not in BMC, not in Sear Greek Imperial. It isn't in the ISEGRIM database either, which supposedly includes everything from Lindgren, Waddington, and the major SNGs for Nicaea.

Domna Nicaea Eagle Assarion 2.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ (diassarion?), 3.78 g, 17.6 mm, 7 h.
    Bithynia, Nicaea, AD 193-211.
    Obv: ΙΟΥΛΙΑ CΕΒΑCΤΗ, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Right: ΝΙΚΑΙΕΩΝ, eagle (or phoenix) standing right.
    Refs: SGI --; Recueil Général --; BMC --.

Despite its rarity, there isn't any demand for it, and I'd be lucky to get $40 for it at auction.

Here's another that is apparently unpublished and which appears nowhere else online:

Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea Marcianopolis 2.jpg
    Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea.
    Roman provincial AE Pentassarion, 10.1 g, 25.7 mm.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 225-229.
    Obv: ΑVΓ ΚΜ Α[VΡ CΕVΗ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟC ΚΑΙ] ΙΟVΛΙΑ ΜΑΜΑΙΑ, confronted busts.
    Rev: ΗΓ ȢM [ΤΕΡΕΒΕΝΤΙΝΟV ΜΑΡ]ΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤ-ΩΝ, Dikaiosyne standing l., holding scales and cornucopiae, E (5) in field, r.
    Refs: Not listed in: AMNG, Moushmov, Varbanov, BMC Greek, Sear Greek Imp, SNG Cop, SNG von Aulock, or Hirstova and Jelov.

Again, because of low demand, I doubt I'd get $80 for this at auction.

Even in the Roman Imperial series, a coin may be very hard to come by, but because of little demand, it doesn't command a premium compared to common coins of that particular emperor. Take, for example, this denarius of Nerva. There are three obverse inscriptions to be found on coins with this reverse. Online, there are lots of examples of RIC 6, with the IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS II P P obverse legend and of RIC 18, with the IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P obverse legend. But mine's RIC 30, which reads IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P II COS III P P.

Nerva IVSTITIA AVGVST denarius RIC 30.jpg

It's not in Wildwinds, coinproject.com, coin archives (free version), Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE), Sear 5th ed., or CNG archives. Only four others are to be found at online databases. There is one at the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris (the Cohen specimen cited in RIC), one was auctioned recently by Pegasi, another by NAC, and another by Rauch. Nonetheless, there are few collectors who are in search of all three varieties of Nerva denarii with the IVSTITIA AVGVST reverse type and the coin does not fetch a premium for all its scarcity.

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

This is what I consider my most valuable coin, largely because of the history associated with it. This was the first Roman coin to have a portrait of a living ruler on the obverse. It was, in effect, the "last straw." It so outraged the republican sensibilities of Caesar's opponents--at least, that's what they claimed--that it led to his assassination.
    [​IMG]
    Silver Denarius
    Rome mint, 44 B.C.
    Obv: DICT PERPETVO - CAESAR - Veiled head of Julius Caesar
    Rev: P SEPVLLIVS MACER - Venus holding Victory and scepter; shield at base
    RSC 39; S362
    18 x 20mm, 3.2g.
    Julius Caesar was a successful general of the Roman Republic who deftly translated his battlefield renown into political power. His assumption of the title “Dictator for Life” created a crisis in the Senate; when his image appeared on coins (like the one above) he was accused of having monarchical ambitions. His assassination by outraged republicans led to the civil war that eventually ended the Republic and gave birth to an Empire.

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Coincidentally, I just showed my two priciest coins in this thread of @Ryro's yesterday. But, you're right that valuable doesn't have to be the most expensive, or even the most beautiful, for that matter. This junky mess of a Gortyna stater struck over a Knossos stater only cost a fraction of those, but it's by far the dearest and most irreplaceable coin in my collection.

Crete Gortyna - Stater 1877.jpg
    CRETE, Gortyna
    AR Stater. 11.77g, 29.8mm. CRETE, Gortyna, circa 330-270 BC. SNG Cop -; cf. Svoronos 58 (rev as Svoronos 62). O: Europa seated right in plane (platanus) tree, resting her head pensively on her left hand. R: Bull standing to right, head turned back left to lick its flank.
    Notes: Overstruck on a stater of Knossos, circa 425-360 BC (Svoronos 23), with undertypes of the Minotaur and Labyrinth of Knossos visible.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/gortyna-stater-bull-in-the-labyrinth.285907/

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Probably my sestertii of Balbinus and Pupienus to date. Great coins @TIF and @Gavin Richardson - just beautiful.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Amazing coins everyone! You all give me inspiration to keep going on the ancient side of the hobby. Truly beautiful works of art.

Justin Lee and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmm... I collect Historically, so VALUABLE has a more subjective meaning to me. Yes, many of my coins can be expensive. However, I VALUE them for their uniqueness, historical perspective, and just plain "coolness" to me.

Rasenna or Etruria was an ancient civilization that directly influenced the foundations of Rome. A series of Etruscan Kings ruled Rome until Rome became a Republic in 509 BCE.

Although the below coins can be "expensive", I have several others that cost more than the below shown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruscan_civilization

upload_2018-7-15_10-26-56.png

upload_2018-7-15_10-32-16.png
    Etruria Populonia (Fufluna) AR 1 As 0.60g 10.0mm after 211 BCE Male Head L - Plain Rev Vecchi 3 68-70 HN Italy 181 EXTREMELY RARE

upload_2018-7-15_10-33-0.png
    Etruria Populonia (Fufluna) 2-1/2 Asses 3rd C BC AR Radiate Fem Hd CII Blank EC 104 HN Italy 179 RARE 2 exist
    Ex: Clain-Stefanelli collection

upload_2018-7-15_10-35-46.png
    Etruria Populonia (Fufluna) AR 5 Asses 3rd C BCE 2.0g Young Hd L V behind HN 173 Vecchi Rasna III 52 ex NAC 29 No 9 RARE

Etruria Populonia 211-206 BC AR 10 As 20mm 4.21g die brk Lr Male Hd L - Blank.JPG
    Etruria Populonia (Fufluna) 211-206 BC AR 10 Asses 20mm 4.21g die brk Lr Male Hd L - Blank

Etruria Populonia 3rd C BCE AR 20 As 8.1g Metus Blank HN 152.jpg
    Etruria Populonia (Fufluna) 3rd C BCE AR 20 Asses 8.1g Metus Blank HN 152

upload_2018-7-15_10-38-41.png
    Etruria 3rd C BCE AE 18mm 4.76g Hd African r Elephant r letter below SNG Cop 48 HNI 69 SNG Paris 138-140 SNG Morcom 44 RARE

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  16. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I lack the patience to save up my coin money, but these are the most costly:

6CB3DE30-CB90-49AC-A729-C1A72373F557.png
    9E620E17-BDA6-45F6-BF3C-A2531CB4D251.png
    ED05FF90-3268-4BBC-91DC-339BE0925157.png
    And these weren’t cheap:
    30DA775C-986D-41A1-8020-45946FEDE244.png
    1BE5B917-5EA0-49E8-917C-BD4E80C33F2D.png

17. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

This isn't my most expensive coin, but I like how it shows the mixing of cultures. The coin is from the city of Sidon in Phoenicia, c.360s-350s BC, while Phoenicia was under control of the Achaemenid Persian Empire. The obverse shows a very typically Phenician motif of a ship on waves, while the reverse is stereotypically Persian showing the Persian king in a chariot.
    Phoenician-Persian.jpg

18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have a most expensive coin and I have a most valuable coin. Yes they are different coins.

My most expensive coin was this denarius of Caligula.

Gaius RIC 16 new copy.jpg

My most valuable coin is not even close to my most expensive coin. It is this unassuming denarius of Vespasian. Until David Atherton found another one a few months ago this was the only one of its kind known. this coin is mentioned in RIC II part 1 under RIC 773.
    Vespasian RIC 773 new.jpeg

19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a beautiful shekel! That's one of the favorites of Biblical coin collectors.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  20. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

It's a tough question but I'm going to post two. Both were rather difficult to obtain choice examples and they went well beyond my average ancient coin budget.

SHEKEL and ANTIPAS 1.jpg

SHEKEL and ANTIPAS 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  21. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This is my most valuable coin, the one I paid the most for. I bought it in the famous Dr. Adams auction in 2015 for about $1000. It's a Hunnic coin of Central Asia, a large and festive Kidarite gold dinar, imitation of Kushan dinars, about 450 AD. Göbl 735.12. Vondrovec type 84, p. 148. 34 mm, 7.69 gr. Yes, it is scyphate, but so far I have refrained from drinking wine from it.

5701 Kidara AV.jpg

GregH, ancientcoinguru, Ajax and 21 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted