Gortyna Stater - Bull in the Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Nov 3, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I recently bought a lot of three Gortyna staters in average (ie., typically junky) condition because I wanted one of the coins included in the lot. The single-sided group picture used in the sale didn't reveal anything of what was described as "significant remnants" of a Labyrinth of Knossos undertype, but my interest was piqued. A stater of Gortyna was at the top of my want list, right along with pretty much any coin showing the Labyrinth. So a single coin combining both, even if only through overstriking, was certainly worth considering in my books.

Crete didn't have its own source of silver, so its staters were almost always overstruck, first on foreign coinage (mostly Aegina and Kyrene) and subsequently on older local issues. Gortyna was the most prolific of the Cretan mints, and known to have recycled the earlier staters of Knossos to strike their own. Vestigial (and usually unidentifiable) traces of the original designs are sometimes seen on these issues, but examples with them clearly showing through are much less so. I saw nothing at all in the auction picture, but I guess I was up for a bit of a gamble :D.

upload_2016-11-3_21-8-19.png
    CRETE, Gortyna
    AR Stater. 11.77g, 29.8mm. CRETE, Gortyna, circa 330-270 BC. SNG Cop -; cf. Svoronos 58f (rev as Svoronos 62). O: Europa seated right in plane (platanus) tree, resting her head pensively on her left hand. R: Bull standing to right, head turned back left to lick its flank.

Yes, it's worn and ragged, but to begin with, most of these are. The obverse design showing Europa sitting in a plane tree was often rendered quite artistically, but the Gortynian mint would use the dies until they were almost completely worn out, and as a result, the majority of the surviving examples look barely collectible. On the reverse, the Gortyna type is the standing bull, and the surviving details of the undertype shows one quadrant of the Knossos Labyrinth, two small central pellets, and three of the four incuse squares set at the corners of the structure. Quite abit more than I had hoped for!

As a completely unexpected bonus, there's a trace of undertype on the obverse as well... it shows just below the thigh of Europa when you rotate the coin 180 degrees - the head of the Minotaur from the original Knossos stater, along with some of the beaded border. The picture below is of one of these rare Knossos staters (this one sold in a Gorny & Mosch auction two years ago), with the inset being the detail of the Minotaur's head from my coin. I'm never going to own a Knossos Minotaur stater, so for me, this worn-out, junky mess is a thrilling second best :).

upload_2016-11-3_21-11-2.png

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Cucumbor, ycon, Theodosius and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Absolutely fantastic! Of all the possible undertypes this is probably the most interesting. The gamble paid off! :)

lordmarcovan and zumbly like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Amazing, I would have not recognized it for what it is but I think it's cool undertype and I wouldn't mind owning it.

Well, I think it's fairly certain I won't own a Knossos Minotaur stater either LOL. I wonder if anyone at CT does???

lordmarcovan, stevex6 and zumbly like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats zumbly very nice overstrike. Dont own one neighter, but I have a nice greek 10 Drachma 1923 banknote :)

[​IMG]

6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

What a fantastic find! Nice eye :)

I don't have the Minotaur version but I do have the variety depicting the Labyrinth, a coin which I happily paid out the nose for to find a well-centered, well-pedigreed, and artistic example:

[​IMG]

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that's neat Z!

zumbly likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!!! The artistry is simply suberb!!!

Andres2 likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very good score!

zumbly likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Although worn still a good coin with significant history attached to it, I would love one like it. Congratulations.

lordmarcovan and zumbly like this.
  11. zumbly

Nice! That's one banknote I wouldn't mind having.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice!! => congrats, Z-Bro ... very cool coin

:rolleyes:

zumbly likes this.
  13. zumbly

I remember thinking to myself that was the nicest example of the type I had ever seen. The style is wonderful and the pedigree quite exceptional! Definitely worth paying through the nose for :).

14. zumbly

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Seeing Gortyna staters almost always causes me a pang of regret because of this one that got away from me last year.

IMG_4728.JPG

The Knossos undertype of the OP coin allows it to be a happy exception :).

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, I can see how that loss would hurt. There'll be another one with your name on it when you're ready :)

Speaking of names, this one is giving me trouble. It looks like it is from Crete but I'm having trouble with the ethnic.

;)

HeresJohnny.jpg
    AR 36 mm, 26.2 gm
    Obv: HIK EΣT IOHNNY; crossed axes
    Rev: labyrinth; ΩBEPΛOOK below

16. zumbly

Haha! Enjoying seeing this one again :).

Johnny thinks you got some of the details just ever so slightly off and will be along with his axe to fix it in just a moment :vamp:...

IMG_4729.JPG

Oops, sorry, Halloween is over isn't it :facepalm:.

lordmarcovan, Ajax, Pishpash and 5 others like this.
  17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    reverse of a 1914 Bank of Crete 25 Drachma banknote.

obverse with Zeus enthroned and King George of Greece
    [​IMG]

@zumbly the one that got away coin reminds me of Sleepy Holly :nailbiting:
    [​IMG]

lordmarcovan, Ajax, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  18. zumbly

Yeah, it does have a Sleepy Hollow/Halloween look to it, eh :D.

19. Mihai

Mihai New Member

Hi there. What is the price now for this coin?

Attached Files:

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very neat coin

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Numismatic interest 10/10
    Value 10/10
    Eye appeal - Only a mother could love

I guess that makes me mom.

lordmarcovan and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted