Update to "Confessions of a Numismatics Sinner"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

A few months ago I posted this rant about how the pursuit of coins had resulted in my collection being in complete shambles as coins piled up, and organization and cataloguing took a back seat.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/confessions-of-a-numismatics-sinner-warning-long-rant.289341/

Now it's time for an update. I've abandoned the idea of using 2x2 cardboard flips and having to make my own tags, in favor of a more traditional approach. I am starting the arduous task of switching my collection to 2x2 paper envelopes. I've only gotten around 20 coins out of 100+ transferred, but I hope to have the job completed by week's end.

IMG_0503.JPG Work in Progress: Removing coins from 2x2 cardboard flips, weighing and measuring

IMG_0502.JPG
    Work in progress: The current progress

I borrowed @red_spork 's idea of having cut up 2x2 saflips to hold the original tags separately. You can see how that works exactly here below. The catalog number is used to be able to find the original tag should there be need to refer to it in the future.

IMG_0506.JPG
    Original tags

And here is what a typical paper envelope looks both front and back. As you can see, the envelopes can contain a lot of information by using front and back. In case anyone is interested, the ink is permament fountain pen ink of archival quality, matching the color of a popular blue black ink from the 1940s...and written using a Lamy 2000 fountain pen.

IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0508.JPG

I will continue to update this thread as the work continues. Hopefully it can serve of some usefulness for those considering switching to paper envelopes, or at least curious about how that works.

Please feel free to comment.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    galba68, thejewk, Ed Snible and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I love it!

I'm heartened and glad to see another collector switch to envelopes. Hopefully this is a trend. :)

Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I might go this way as coin access is easier than flips.

David Atherton and Sallent like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Pen nerd!
    :rolleyes:

:D
    Just kidding Sallent! Glad to see you getting after this! Are cataloging as well or just changing your storage?

I've been thinking about going to envelopes as well. They're just so much easier.

6. Sallent

I'm assigning catalog numbers based on the year the coin was purchased.

SC =Sallent Collection, and the number that follows it (15,16, or 17) is the year the coin was purchased. The number after the dash is the coin number (which I'm issuing at random as sadly I did not always record in the past the exact date I purchased coins.)

So here is how the whole thing works:

SC17-002 would be coin 2 for 2017
    SC16-008 would be coin 8 for 2016

Eventually I will build a new coin catalog and use the catalog numbers I'm issuing to coins now.

galba68, Pellinore and Smojo like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

OK, a step in the right direction.

I have a small box right now stuffed to the top with coins that need cataloging...this dang move! My point is, I'm guilty of not keeping my records current.

Smojo likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I enjoy these threads much more then "pile ons".

I have done envelopes to my world moderns, but not for ancients.

Been looking at Polyethylene envelopes. At least there see through. Just walmart is always sold out the size I want.:mad:

9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Looks good. I think weighing and measuring coins when they come in is an important thing to do as part of the cataloging process as I've had dealers make mistakes of half a gram or more in some cases. In one case I found what appeared to be my coin in an auction listing but the weight was off by .4g and I spent a weekend worried that mine was somehow a cast before I could retrieve it from the safe deposit box and verify the weight Monday morning.

One thing I would recommend is recording price paid on your envelopes if possible as well. If you are ever in the position of returning a fake you'll likely want to know what you paid for it for the refund and on top of that it provides interesting data points for collectors who may come to own your coins in 10, 25, 50 years. Some people prefer to hide the price paid using a code or something like that but I've never been too concerned with hiding what I paid.

galba68, rrdenarius, Paul M. and 4 others like this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think all looks good too!!

I'm switching to the envelopes as a cheaper alternative to so many broken flips and the obvious ease of storage and coin information. Digitally storing data and properly reshooting coins is a far more daunting task for me:eek::D

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Bravo! I think you and your coins are going to be much happier with them in paper envelopes. I've never liked those 2x2 cardboard flips.

David Atherton, Sallent and TIF like this.
  12. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Dear Sallent,

nice boxes are those coinboxes or some re-used box?

Sallent likes this.
  13. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I don't use hand written labels because I might want to read them in the future.:shy:

Cucumbor, Paul M., Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  14. Sallent

That is purpose-built coin box. I bought it through Amazon.com by typing 2x2 coin box and picking the one I liked the best. It has a nice lid too, but I didn't photograph that.

Pellinore and Okidoki like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ditto :)

Envelopes in a box are great. Saflips (PVC-free flips) in a box are great. @stevex6's one-per-page is great. @Collect89's both-sides-visible binder pages + Saflips is great. @Alegandron's adaptation of a Whitman binder is great. Trays are great, especially for smaller collections. Anything but windowed cardboard with staples. Well, those and TPG'd slabs :D.

I've changed my mind a few times about storage methods and probably will again. At the moment they are in Saflips + boxes.

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like this approach with the envelopes. This would be great for safe, low cube storage.

I also like my approach with open 2x2 PE saflips in albums that hold the flip in 6 - 2x4 pockets. I can flip the pages and see both sides of the coin as well as both sides of the attributes. Makes for easy presentation to non-collectors, grandkids, etc. For collectors, it is easy for me to pull the PE saflip and view or easily remove the coin for in-hand viewing.

I am considering storing some in the archival envelopes for smaller cube storage as I have already filled one bank vault box.

However, your new approach is a VAST improvement over the enclosed stapled cardboard covers! Great job!

Pishpash and Smojo like this.
  17. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

cheers :D

18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

jpscorner.com carries box from Lighthouse.
    I have a few myself.

As far as paper envelopes go I've thought about it myself. My only problem is making sure they are non acidic paper. Some advertise it but most don't.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The Guardhouse brand I always recommend are advertised as PH-neutral and acid free. I believe those are the same ones @Sallent is using but I could be wrong.

Sallent likes this.
  20. Sallent

These are the boxes. Don't let the $11 price tag fool you, other coin supplies sellers on Amazon are selling these same Guardhouse boxes cheaper.

Screenshot_2017-03-13-13-03-54.png

And these are the envelopes. Again, shop around on the site as different sellers will have them at different prices. Also, buying in bulk will be cheaper overall and you'll be set for a long time to come.

Screenshot_2017-03-13-13-05-17.png

Different sellers have them and they come in a bunch of colors, so look around.

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Next time, please ensure that your credit card shows up on your Amazon pic, so that I can order some more coining supplies... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted