How do you store your collection?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very simple............

th3NQM5N1H.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I use 2x4 open Saflips in Albums so that I have the attributes for each side as I view the coin. 6 Saflips per page. Provenance captured in Saflip and/or customs and other provenance papers captured in a folder.

Album: Desiccant Pages in front and back; 6 slot open Saflips as 2 x 4; Attributes on front and back in top pocket of Saflip; can flip page to see obv and rev. and attributes on both side for each coin; Each album page separated by 100 lb archival card stock.; Album slides into Archival safe Album Cover. Perfect for my Home Safes as well as my Bank Safe. Easy to view, present, store.

Card stock gives a background, as well as "padding" between the album pages.

Desiccant pages in books, desiccant packets in Safes.

Easy-access active Glocks, Rugers, S&W's program in place. :)

upload_2017-1-28_8-27-53.png
    upload_2017-1-28_8-28-22.png
    upload_2017-1-28_8-38-55.png
    upload_2017-1-28_8-40-59.png
    upload_2017-1-28_8-41-31.png
    upload_2017-1-28_8-42-3.png

Ryro, dlhill132, Deacon Ray and 12 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There isn't one perfect way, but that's just another enjoyable (although sometimes frustrating) aspect of the hobby-- playing with various storage and organization methods :)

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

LMAO at the "why the hell did I buy these".

silverbullion likes this.
  8. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

In abafil trays in a safe deposit box at the bank. With dessicant of course. You cannot tell from this photo, but the trays are about 10 deep in the metal box.

IMG-20170112-WA0001.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Most of them are in wooden cases:

P1170639.JPG

P1170643.JPG

P1170635.JPG

minor collections are in smaller cases, untill I have more, then they migrate to a bigger case.

P1170645.JPG P1170646.JPG

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Everyone has a couple of those, right? Thankfully, that box isn't very full. :D

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

Coins? We don't got no stinkin' coins!

benhur767 and Gilbert like this.
  12. I have a custom emblem that my Father and I created for his business that I use on the front side of my flips, for uniformity. The back has all printed info with a number that correlates to another binder with previous flips/pedigrees. Coins separated by Greek, Roman Republic, Roman Imperial, then Misc binders.

Flip Page.png

I have a messy area in my binders where I haven't gotten around to measuring, weighing, and typing. In between each page is an extra BCW flip page for padding.
    Flip Pages.png

Slabs are in LightHouse ENCAP Certified Slab pages; hard plastic.

"the most attractive beets ontop" -Dwight
    Slab Page.png

Random page and new acquisitions going in
    Slab Pages.png

I was in the process of having a custom coin cabinet being made; but I had a baby and couldn't justify paying someone $1500 at the time.

-Michael

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Haha I got box like that

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

CASE.jpg

This was last year's storage method. As you can see I was a bit slab happy.

I don't slab my coins anymore so this year's storage method is a large compartmentalized jewelry case.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  15. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Coins start in these two little boxes. I'm always far behind describing, but at the moment there are only about 25 coins in the boxes.
    Then comes the sorting, for the photo they are on a vellum bookbinding.
    And I store them in these trays, in the end described, with exact measure and weight, with some sort of a picture.
    The descriptions are on my computer, not on little papers. And yes, I backed up my descriptions.

Acq box.jpg

Sorting.jpg

La 2.jpg

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I like this method, @Alegandron. What pages do you use exactly, for the 6 flips?

17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Amazing Antonines Truckload of Fun, and the 6 Caesars. Also, I had no idea there was such a thing as a dry cabinet. Are those things practical for someone who doesn't live in an area with 80+% humidity?

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really only stumbled on the product when searching for a solution for low-humidity storage of my coins that didn't require constant changing/recharging of desiccant packs. I can't claim any in-depth knowledge about the technology and don't know if they're even easily available in the US. I just plug the box into the power supply and it keeps the RH inside it at sub-30%. They come in a range of sizes and are not very expensive. Mine comes from a Taiwanese manufacturer which specializes in humidity-regulating solutions for hobbyists as well as the commercial and industrial sector.

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  19. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

In paper envelopes, organised in coin boxes, stored in a safe deposit box. When at home they are guarded by a large black cat.

IMG_0398.JPG

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

GuardCat.gif

(I tweaked it a bit using an online animated gifmaker I hadn't used before :))
    GuardCat2.gif

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Stork, benhur767, dlhill132 and 25 others like this.
  21. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Draft saved Draft deleted