The LordM inspired "box of 20" - slab edition

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Nov 21, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

The various threads, particularly that of @lordmarcovan have inspired me to start a "Box of 20" with the different slabs or certification companies. My goal is to include items where I bought both the coin and the slab. The following are listed in no particular order.

(1)
    An 1865 3 Cent in an old ANA Anacs holder ...shows some nice clashing.

IMG_8522.JPG
    IMG_8523.JPG
    (2)

A 1935-S San Diego Commem (one of my favorite designs) in a Tulving Holder IMG_5567.JPG
    IMG_5568.JPG

(3)

The PCGS Doily holding a choice Boone Commem.
    IMG_9572.JPG
    IMG_9573.JPG

(4)

1880-S PL Morgan in a scarce Accugrade rectangular holder with decimal grading.
    IMG_8981.JPG
    IMG_8980.JPG

(5)

1899-O Morgan in ACG California slab with decimal grading
    IMG_8992.JPG
    IMG_8990.JPG

gronnh20, Robert Paul, McBlzr and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

(6)

1883-O Morgan in a Compugrade Slab ...one of my favorites...decimals, computers, solid holder...
    comp63.6.jpg
    comp63.6rev.jpg

(7)
    1884-O Morgan Anacs UDM ...you can really see the mirrors on this one!

IMG_4108.JPG IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5035.JPG
    (8)

1883 Morgan INS ...the paperwork, images, and detailed summary of the coin are quite cool

IMG_5152.JPG IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG IMG_5157.JPG IMG_5158.JPG

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

(9)
    1988 PCI Photo Cert Silver Eagle ...the coin shows some light toning and is semi-pl

IMG_6684.JPG IMG_6685.JPG

(10)
    1943 Silver War Nickel ... SEGS... nice contrast between blast white obverse and toned reverse

IMG_6673.JPG IMG_6672.JPG

(11)

2005 California State Quarter NGC Promotional Holder (I have made some positive deals with this dealer before at a show)

IMG_8764.JPG IMG_8765.JPG

That's it for now....

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That's very interesting and unique.

ddddd likes this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I really like the sheet with the description of the exact defects on the coin. Way cool!

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The plastic variety is interesting. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, consider me flattered! Now, since you have nine coins left to go to fill the box up, what can you do to spice up that set and add a little variety to it?

Hmm...

[​IMG]

;)

I know they're common, but it's hard not to be bedazzled by those DMPL (or UDM, to use the old ANACS abbreviation) 1880-'81 S-mint Morgans. Morgans generally bore me, but those are hard not to be impressed with. They're just gorgeous, and yours is no exception.

I'm a fan of lusterbomb San Diego halves, too. Those are a great design.

The old PCI photoslab and small ANACS holders bring back memories. You need a PCI green label and a Hallmark, too!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    ddddd and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

PS- whaaat? No black-label NGC or PCGS Regency holder? Tsk, tsk. Get busy, man! ;)

(Not that the latter would fit into a traditional slab box. Weird things, they were.)

You've got a Doily, though- that's cool.

About a decade ago, I had the opportunity to buy a PCGS MS65 RD 1854 large cent in a Doily holder. I say "I had the opportunity" because the dealer I used to help out offered it to me at a "friendly" price, but even with the discount, I couldn't come close to affording it. Instead, I sold it on eBay for him.

A year or two later, I was walking the bourse floor at one of the FUN shows in Orlando and saw it in a dealer's case (not the person I had sold it to). I jotted down the cert number to be sure it was the same coin. It was. Small world.

I told myself at the time that if that coin ever crosses my path again, I have to buy it, even if it requires selling a bunch of stuff to make it happen. Fortunately, it hasn't come back around again, because I still wouldn't be able to afford it. The price on it jumped at least a grand between the time I sold it for my dealer friend on eBay and the time I saw it at the FUN show. Heaven only knows what the price on it would be now, particularly in what is now considered rare plastic.

Robert Paul, Paul M. and ddddd like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Oh, hey- I have an ANACS sample (blue label, when they first came out with the larger slab size they currently use). Has a Bison nickel in it (the modern Jeffie with the Bison, I mean, not the old "Buffalo" design). I'll see if I can find it. Yours with my compliments, if you want it (and if I can find it). I got it at one of the FUN shows, maybe a decade ago, or ANA in Charlotte in '07, which was the last national show I attended.

ddddd likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I still need to take a few more pictures, but I will be adding a few more interesting specimens to the list to get me up to 20.

If I could find a cool slab with a nice darkside coin, I would certainly consider it. I do have a common Vatican City coin in a PCI holder, but that might just be a part of the honorable mentions section.
    A while ago I did come across an early 1900s proof Philippines peso in an old PCI photo cert holder (there is a thread on here about it), but unfortunately the bidding got too high.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you for the offer, but if you are giving it away I would rather see it go to some new collector or YN.
    Many of these samples are quite common (although some are very scarce) but there has been an increased interest in them especially since the book on Samples was released.

12. lordmarcovan

I never would have considered someone doing a Box of 20 based on varieties of the plastic, but the idea has merit. I susupect most people are not quite ready to get their heads around the thought of the plastic itself being the collectible, but I've seen weirder collectibles. Why not? I think it is an idea whose time has nearly arrived. I remember the work of Conder101 and the late Cameron Kiefer over on Collectors Universe. And if you get a nice coin inside your rare plastic, well, hey, there's a cherry on the sundae, right?

Paul M. and ddddd like this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

One more:

(12)
    1958 Proof Franklin in a DGS holder (when David Lawrence briefly took over PCI)...fun fact: DGS started photographing coins so that one could verify their authenticity (before NGC did the same)

IMG_9743.JPG IMG_9744.JPG

14. lordmarcovan

Oh, that's neat. I've had two Hallmarks in those old PCI-style holders, but Dominion, nope.

ddddd likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some more:

(13)
    1961 Proof Franklin ...classic Hallmark holder and the coin has some nice light toning.
    IMG_9736.JPG
    IMG_9737.JPG

(14)
    1968 Proof Kennedy ...classic green PCI holder with "PQ" after the grade and visible cameo

IMG_9734.JPG IMG_9735.JPG

(15)
    1962 Proof Franklin ...DCGS holder...this is another of the unusual and creative holders; notice that it has a stand built in so that one can display it (although storing it is tough...it doesn't quite fit in any "box").
    Another fun fact: DCGS started doing an edge view (as seen in the third photo) before NGC or PCGS.
    IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9741.JPG

gronnh20, Robert Paul and Paul M. like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Ah, there's a Hallmark.

Great CAM on that Kennedy in the old PCI green. I have fond memories of those. I bought a 1904 $20 Lib in a PCI green MS62 holder, once, for about $400 (melt-ish at the time). Cracked it out, sent it to PCGS, and cha-ching! PCGS MS64. Suddenly it was a $1,400-ish coin, at least by the priceguide. I didn't get full trend price for it, of course, but did very, very well on that deal. Probably my best cherrypick ever. (This was my second-best, from a bulk bag of Wheaties. Cost me less than a nickel.)

Always thought those DCGS holders were neat-looking. A little wonky, but neat. Do the little "feet" for the stand pop off so you can store it in a box? (Edit- ah- just reread your post. Apparently not, huh. That's kinda strange.) I never saw one in person. I can see one of those looking good as an ornament on some executive desk.

gronnh20 and ddddd like this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice results on the PCI! My best PCI find was the coin below. The seller had a bad ebay photo so I was able to win the auction at $30. This was one of my favorite Franklins and I held onto it for a while but couldn't turn down a sale when offered about $300. I don't know if the buyer ever sent it to PCGS/NGC, but I never felt the need to do so. The PCI holder helps alleviate some fears of AT and the fact that it was signed by the expert on Franklins, Rick Tomaska made it even more neat.
    I will let this be in the "honorable mentions" section which will honor the coins/holders that I have sold.
    IMG_6114.JPG IMG_6113.JPG

TheFinn, Robert Paul and Paul M. like this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree and that is why it is part of the set. This is one of the few coins that is definitely overgraded (and the feet don't come off), but it stands nicely on my bookshelf.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Robert Paul, Paddy54 and Paul M. like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

Neat-looking Tomaska-signed Frankie. Not entirely my cuppa tea, personally, but dramatic. I do think the target-toned reverse is wild, and can see why somebody would drop some money on that coin.

ddddd likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted