A small mystery ... EPN Slab Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

Many of us have heard of Eric P Newman and may have seen his pedigree attached to NGC certified coins.
    Now has anyone seen a slab like this?
    For reference, I have pictured it next to an ACG holder since the two are the same type of slab. Was this potentially someone licensing the ACG holder to sell Newman coins before the NGC sale?
    @Conder101 @Burton Strauss III

IMG_9613.JPG IMG_9614.JPG IMG_9615.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Wow!!!!

ACG had two kinds of licensees - for one fee you could send coins and labels to ACG to be sealed, for a larger fee ($25k plus materials) you could buy a turnkey setup. There we also unlicensed users of the ACG slabs.

I would suggest an inquiry to the foundation might give you an answer.

Insider likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yep I remember Conder saying it before:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/national-grading-service-slab-acg-type-holder-any-info.269336/

That was my assumption as well that someone used the 25k service.
    I'll try to send an email and see if the foundation has any info.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

7. Burton Strauss III

Sounds right.

I don't believe EPN's papers are all imaged or indexed, there should be some correspondence regarding the slabbing of these coins, which will be of interest - at least to me.

Also interestingly, "Numismatic Education Center of Birmingham" doesn't generate any hits either in Google or the portal...

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've never seen anything like that, and I would strongly suspect it has nothing to do with the EPN foundation which is in St Louis and always has been.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow. You stumped conder! Nice get.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

How old is that logo? Heritage and NGC used it in the auction a couple years ago, but I assume the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Educational Society (whose logo it is) predates that. That would be a clue as to when this slab was put together, and someone at the NNP should be able to help there. The label looks crude enough to be early 1990s.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

So far I'm somewhat stuck. The seller did not have any historical information and the foundation (in St. Louis) says only NGC and PCGS were authorized to use the Newman name.

@messydesk that is a good idea and it'll be my next question for the foundation.

12. Burton Strauss III

Sources I found say the foundation dates from 1959.

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Then this is simply a home-made slab. I have seen dozens of different examples as they are very easy to produce and can fool many collectors. Some of them were made by gluing a cut-from-an-logo to a typewritten label! I've even seen one of these "items" with a cut out CAC bean posted on the front.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

"The logo coincided with the NGC certification prior to the first Newman sale (April 2013). The certification would have occurred in late 2012 or early 2013."

-Leonard Augsburger from wustl

So maybe someone created an ACG type slab around the 2013 Newman auction?
    Although that doesn't seem too likely given the reputation of ACG and why would they use Birmingham as the location?

My only guess would be that Newman or someone from the foundation hosted an event in Birmingham (in the 90s?) and made a slabs to commemorate it?

@Insider might have a good explanation too but this would be such a weird thing to copy...the fake CAC would be more likely used by someone looking to deceive or be funny.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  15. messydesk

Someone that would make a bogus slab with the EPN logo on it is probably not too concerned with things like good reputations. The other clue that it is recent is the "MS64+" grade.

JPeace$ and Insider like this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Good points, but I would disagree on the 64+. All sorts of dealers and companies used unusual grading for their times (and PCGS/NGC usually weren't the first to do things like a plus grade). For instance, Compugrade and Accugrade used decimal grades going back to the late 80s/early 90s (i.e. the 63.5 ACG holder pictured in this thread).

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I wondered about that same thing. Wasn't sure if the + was being used by offshoots then or was it even a thing at all yet in the 90s though

18. messydesk

People used + all the time on 2x2s or as stickers they'd put on slabs to try and exaggerate a grade, but they didn't become legitimized inside slabs, and thus ripe for imitation, until PCGS and NGC started using them. The "extended precision" grades (note that precision does not mean accuracy) are a different story.

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If I had to guess I'd say it is probably a recent put together job like Insider suggested. Notice the logo doesn't say Eric P Newman Education society, or Foundation etc, it says Eric P Newman COLLECTION and that was the logo they used when they were selling his collection, so it is recent. And ACG has not been doing any slabbing recently that I know of.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Burton Strauss III

The real mystery is what happened to the ACG equipment? It's certainly likely that a batch of shells and an sonic sealing machine was floating around...

The company registration lapsed in 2008 for failure to file the annual report with the state of Florida:

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...dd6a&searchTerm=asa&listNameOrder=ASA 1976600

Also for giggles, check the 2001 annual report and note the change in who was running the place...

FYI the address is The UPS Store West Melbourne.

21. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Wow, man, that is one of those rare Alfred E. Neuman coins from his hoard!

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted