National Grading Service Slab ...ACG Type Holder ...any info?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

I just wanted to see if anyone had any information about this grading company: NGS (National Grading Service). The holder is the same as an ACG holder (and it even has "ACG" written on the back right corner...or top left from the way I took the picture). There are at least two other NGS companies, but neither of them are this one. Does anyone know about this one (is it a scarcer holder)?

@Burton Strauss III @Conder101 or any of the other holder experts please chime in if you can. Thank you!

IMG_6670.JPG IMG_6671.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Nice, even to the ACG in the mould. New to me...

I do know that ACG would reportedly setup turn-key slabbing operations, including providing the shells.

PM me if it's for sale :)

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

In the mid 90s, for $25K or so, you could buy a slabbing service from ACG, which included the shells. They had ACG on them because they didn't want to custom make dies for each company that licensed it from them.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NGS= junk

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Messydesk is close. In the mid 90's ACG WOULD set you up with the equipment and supplies for you to have your own grading service for 25K. (But for that they would design a shell for your service, They weren't ACG shells, or at least they didn't have the ACG initials o the shell.) But around 2002 they came up with a new deal. For just a few hundred they would license you for an encapsulation service. Then for a small fee per coin you could send coins in and they would encapsulate them in ACG shells under your company name at whatever grade you specified. They made it a point to stress that ACG would do NO grading of the coins. Supposedly there were 14 companies that took licenses but I have only traced I believe 4 of them. This is one of the encapsulation service companies. Two of the others were S&G Coins out of Florida and the most commonly seen one CCC out of Ohio.

markr and ddddd like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yeah, junk that everyone who collects slabs is willing to $$$$. IMO, there is only one comment that is "junk" in this thread so far. :jawdrop::D

8. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

National Grading Service in reality is No Grading Service.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

A quick update: there are at least 2 of these NGS holders and both reside with prominent slab collectors.
    And they are definitely not junk...I would consider them a part of numismatic grading history.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

What I would call this does not resemble "history," and would be edited by mods anyway so I won't post it.

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Insider

:rolleyes:

GREAT IDEA! And thank you very much.:joyful:

12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I also have two ACG slabs with "Numex" labels, both Proof Franklins.

DSCN4827.JPG DSCN4828.JPG

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'll sell you all the NGS at a fair price that you can handle.

Good luck selling them to anyone else here, but HSN may buy them from you.

Or new glasses.

14. Insider

Sorry, the only slabs I collect I have received for free!

As for the second part of your post, the glasses. Do you know me? :facepalm:
    I sure could use anew pair. :happy: The frames on my "every-day's" are broken and I'm to cheap to replace them or use my "dress-up" pair. :D

15. Chris James

Chris James New Member

I have beautiful ngs coins. They are a bargain because they are not ngc or pcgs. Buy the coin, not the plastic

ddddd likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Do you have something that is not a dime? The only NGS holders I have seen have held Roosevelt Dimes. Please post a picture if you like.

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I wonder if he went to go get the slab, and suddenly realized he thought u were referring to SGS

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Very possible. I guess we will see if there will be any further developments to this thread. Frankly, I was surprised to see it bumped in the first place since a thread about SGS is easier to find than one about NGS.

19. heavycam.monstervam

Care to enlighten us?
    Enquiring minds want 2 know

20. heavycam.monstervam

?

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

If you are asking about the NGS holders, both sold for around $30. Those two were dimes; if it was a Morgan (no idea if one exists in an NGS holder) I would say the price would be closer to $55-$85 (for a common date MS 63 or 64).

Draft saved Draft deleted