INS Slab Morgan Cracked out of Compugrade Holder?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Apr 30, 2015.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

I just purchased this Morgan in an INS slab. What is interesting is the sticker on the back. It's a Compugrade Sticker that says "N9" and "Minimum Grade." Does anyone know what that means? I have seen Compugrade holders with decimal grades but never this N9. Also, could this have been a coin in a Compugrade holder that cracked out and resubmitted to INS or was it the other way around where someone submitted an INS coin to Compugrade. Or did someone just pull this off a compugrade holder and stick it on to the INS slab (I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that).

Any comments are greatly appreciated, as long as opinions on grade and or value.

IMG_5382.JPG IMG_5383.JPG IMG_5384.JPG IMG_5385.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Also @Conder101 have you seen anything like this before?

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I assume it didn't meet the submitter's minimum grade, so it wasn't put in a Compugrade slab. Compugrade was around in 1991, which I think is after the INS slab was made.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

From what I have read, INS was apparently around for quite a while, but I do believe this slab is most likely from the late 1980s. So, is the most likely scenario that someone tried to cross this to Compugrade but was unsuccessful?

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Compugrade was only in operation for about 4 months in the latter half of 1991, The INS slab is an INS 4 that was used from 1988 to early 1992 when INS moved from Washington DC to Philadelphia. The INS 5 slab was apparently used only briefly because INS seemed to disappear from the scene shortly after they moved. they did resurface very briefly with INS 6 in 1997, I have only seen a single example of that slab back in 2001, and not another one since then. (It may no longer exist. The coin in it was probably broken out long ago to be put into one of the top four TPG slabs. I would have loved to own that slab, but I couldn't afford a PF-63 1840 half cent just to own the slab.)

So anyway this coin was probably sent the Compugrade and then cracked and sent to INS sometime between Sept of 1991 and Feb 1992.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted