Simple question posed by Mark Salzberg.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by furham, Jan 17, 2017.

1. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Your thoughts.....

How is it possible that eight 1912-S Liberty Nickels were graded PCGS MS 66 in the company's first 25 years and 44 other examples were graded PCGS MS 66 in the last five years? Imagine being the collector who bought a PCGS MS 66 for $37,375 five years ago based on the belief that it was one of only eight MS 66s and now seeing that there are 52 MS 66s and some are trading for $3,525!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

My thoughts are, there's already two other threads about this. :)

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yes, but how to avoid duplicate threads?
    I think that I was once guilty of this in the past, even after searching the site for the same topic to make sure I wasn't duplicating the subject I was about to post. It turned out that the same subject was discussed in an earlier, recent thread.

5. SuperDave

In this case, looking at the forum before posting at it would have done; both competing threads would have been at the top of the page. :)

Not that I have any right to call out someone doing something without looking first. :p

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This multiple threads thing here is nuts. CCF handles it better imo. Just lock subsequent threads with a link to the main thread

7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Damn....I'm sorry I posted. I literally go the e:mail 10 minutes before I posted.

green18 likes this.
  8. SuperDave

Ain't no big thing; it's just sometimes amusing how, as fast as we try to move, the Internet usually gets there first. :)

green18 and furham like this.
  9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I believe we can help with the issue by simply using the 'report' function and asking the moderators to simply combine the threads and provide the links. As I'm not sure there is always one active looking at every thread.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The three threads were posted at 6:44 PM - https://www.cointalk.com/threads/holy-ngc-just-took-pcgs-behind-the-woodshed.289663/ , 7:11 PM - https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lets-get-ready-to-rumble-ngc-vs-pcgs.289664/ , and this one at 8:02 PM. So all 3 in just a little over an hour, and the first two in less than a half hour. How in the world does anybody avoid that, the posters or the mods ? Answer - ya don't.

But more importantly why should you ? I can pretty much guarantee you that none of you go searching through the forum to find out if anybody else has posted a thread on the same subject you want to post a thread about. You don't do that, you just go ahead and post the thread. And that's exactly what happened here.

But back to my question - why should you ? As far as I'm concerned any member, every member, has the right to start a thread on any given subject any time they want to - regardless of whether or not somebody else has posted a thread on the same subject or not.

Now for those of you who would disagree with that thinking, before you disagree, think about it for a few minutes - where would draw the line on this, if you were the mods ? I mean what would the time frame be, 1 hour, 2 hours, 1 day, a week, a month, more ? Also think about what you're requiring of the moderators - they would have to search each and every thread, every single time a thread is posted, just to find out if they are about the same thing or not. And then they'd have to go and combine them, or lock some and not lock others.

And having thought about that part of it, think about this part of it. An imposition is going to be imposed upon you, yeah you ! For if we had a rule like that now before YOU start any thread, YOU have to go and check and make sure that nobody else has beat you to it and already started their own thread on the same subject. How many of YOU are willing to do THAT ?

I'm willing to bet there's not a whole lot of you who are going to be willing to agree to do that. And if the mods lock YOUR threads because you don't check first - you'll all be squealing like a 2 year old who just had his toys taken away !

And that, that is why I leave things alone. If you guys want to start threads on a given subject, have at it. And if somebody else has already started a thread on the same subject - so what ? I mean really, who cares, it's not a big deal. If you don't want to read them all then don't read them. If you only want to post in 1 thread and not 3 - then only post in one - nobody else is going to care whether you do or not.

Let me leave you with one more thing - this very same subject has been posted about for years - years ! Shall I lock all these new threads and just combine them with the old ones ? And it's not like there's only one or two of those old threads, like I said they go back for years. If memory serves the most recent time was just a couple of weeks ago when Salzberg posted about the same kind of thing. Shall I combine all 3 of these threads with that one ?

So no, of course I'm not gonna do that, it's foolish. Nor am I going to start locking threads just because more than 1 person starts one on the same subject.

Kentucky, gronnh20 and furham like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted