Holy .... NGC just took PCGS behind the woodshed!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Jan 17, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sounds like he's trying to rustle some customers away from PCGS........I wonder how PCGS feels about NGC coins?

rzage, Travlntiques, Heater and 2 others like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To me this is unprecedented. Never have I heard one of the "big 2" call out the other in such a direct manner! He presents some compelling evidence, although, the market drop over the past 2 years has some to do with the prices realized....

Paul M. likes this.
  5. green18

Should make for some spirited commentary for sure. :)

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's just comes off as being petty. It looks like they don't believe their product can stand on it's own so they have to try and build theirs up by tearing the other down.

Also judging from every message board on collector forums including their own, I have no idea where all these positive comments about their registry decision are supposedly coming from

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

At the NYINC I saw much more people submitting coins at the NGC table than at the PCGS..
    The lady at the PCGS table looked kind of bored and sad.

dd27 likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

This could be the result of resubmissions, maybe? I would like to see similar graphs and numbers for the same coins in NGC holders.

David Leu and C-B-D like this.
  9. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

They numbers speak for themselves. You can make what you want about the comments, but numbers dont lie. I mainly buy pandas & for years NGC has been held by collectors for panda coin as the grading company of choice. If you dont believe just look any panda up on ebay & there 10 to 1 against PCGS.

Tater and dd27 like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Hype..... has a way of misleading the average human.
    Smoke and mirrors will always cost you.....forget the slab buy the coin! No matter who or hasn't graded it.
    And if you believe that the plastic is a guarantee well ....craps you loose!

Jim Johns, rzage, Steve K and 6 others like this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oooh. That's gonna leave a mark. :D

I'm pretty sure Heritage's Pop numbers are as of the time of the auction; a little research should indicate if anything similar has happened at NGC over the last few years. Gotts go across the street to 7-11; I'll look into it when I get back.

And if they're resubs, why is PCGS upgrading everything all of a sudden? :)

dd27 and Paul M. like this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The column writer makes some good points. Wonder if PCGS will counter them.

danmar2, dd27 and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  13. green18

Yeah, but that show deals mostly with world/ancient coins, and I think in that realm, NGC has it over PCGS.

rzage and paddyman98 like this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

NGC does more business than PCGS already. So I'm not sure they need to "build themselves up" by tearing them down.

danmar2, dd27 and Insider like this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I know, having talked to a lot of other dealers at shows in 2016, that resubmissions and attempts at upgrades has become a HUGE part of their business. One dealer in particular told me he spent well over 6 figures with PCGS last year, "mostly trying to get upgrades."

dd27, David Leu and Paul M. like this.
  16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

PCGS had an article the other week making a big deal about the 10 most expensive coins at some auction were all in PCGS holders. That is a smack at NGC, whether or not they said "NGC". So maybe NGC just wanted to set em straight.

rzage and dd27 like this.
  17. SuperDave

Quick look at the first two issues mentioned, the 1912-S in 66 and 1939-S in 67: Over the last ten years, NGC went from 5 to 13 on the Nickel in 66 and from 29 to 46 on the Quarter. In ten years. Assuming, of course, Heritage's figures (these are mentioned in the auction writeups, not the charts below which seem to reflect today's numbers regardless of the auction date) are accurate.

wxcoin, ddddd and dd27 like this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Wonder if the crossover accounted for a few of these?

19. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

On that note, NGC posted recently stating that at the NYINC auction 42 of the top 50 lots sold were in NGC holders.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5742/

20. SuperDave

I bet NGC Pops will be increasing soon. :vamp:

Paul M. likes this.
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Most likely, but there's no doubt in my mind that PCGS just got (appropriately) called out for the games they've been playing.

Tater, imrich, dd27 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted