Platinum Eagle Set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Has anyone here put together a set of american platinum eagles before? I am toying with the idea of it. i don;t think that I can afford the 1 ounce coins. What makes a nice set I have never seen a complete set? Which are the harder ones to find and do the 1/10 ounce coins look good as a set? Is it difficult to get the 1/4 or 1/2 ounce coins? Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nope platinum is to expensive I will stick with gold and silver thank you very much and good luck.

Evan Saltis and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@potty dollar 1878 At this point in time, 2/3/2020 platinum is
    $700+ cheaper than gold per ounce.

5. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

not a lot of people can afford these type of coins so i dont think you will have a problem getting what you want. good luck Tater

furham likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am working on a proof APE set long term. I own maybe 18 different ones right now. They made the 4 coin sets from 1997-2008, then one ouncers from then on.

To me, the 1/10th ouncers are small. Remember PT is heavier than gold, so these are physically smaller than gold 1/10. For proofs, any fraction is harder to find than the 1 ouncers usually, with the 1/4 and 1/2 being scarcer, except for the 1/2 dated 2007.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's doable but can get expensive.

Some bullet points:
    ~The fractionals (1/10, 1/4, and 1/2) were only made from 1997 to 2008.
    ~For proof fractionals, the 2004 and 2008 are the two most expensive (lower mintages) while the rest are fairly common.
    ~Burnished examples (unc but with a mintmark and a slightly different finish than the bullion) were made between 2006 and 2008. The 2007 is common but the other two dates are more expensive (these have some of the lowest mintages of all platinum eagles).
    ~2007 had a special set (10th anniversary) with a reverse proof and proof 1/2 oz example...this is one of the higher mintages and so the premium is mild.
    ~1 oz proofs have been made from 1997 to current day. The key coins are the 2004, 2008, 2014, 2015.
    ~Proofs change designs yearly (although the 2017 was exactly the same as the 1997, in order to celebrate the 20th anniversary).
    ~The bullion versions, unlike proofs, have kept the same design throughout the entire run....since 2008 only 1 oz bullion version have been released and there have been some gaps (the years released are: 2014, 2016-2020)

Table of mintages (last updated in 2016):
    https://platinumeagleguide.com/mintages/

JeffC likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

As far as building a set, I agree with @medoraman that the 1/10 oz is a little too small to appreciate. Plus those tend to have the highest premiums over spot (even for common dates). The 1/4 oz or 1/2 oz are more ideal in my opinion. You have a larger surface to appreciate the design, a lower premium over spot, and many of the lowest mintages in the series are found in these two sizes. It is also a set that is complete (no future issues seem to be planned) compared to the 1 oz which is ongoing.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

We have two sets of Platinum coins, one for each granddaughter, that's where it stops. Beautiful but to expensive.

10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Good ideas guys. I'm just kicking the idea around I know this is a big financial commitment and it would take some time to do the set on my budget. The 1/4 or 1/2 might be best for me maybe I just do the proofs.

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I need to do some research but a quick look on ebay and I'd say the 1/4 may have a smaller premium than the 1/2 ouncers. Many of the half ounce coins have a price equal to the cost of 10z of platinum.

Can you get some of the premium back when you sell?

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

It depends where you sell. A local coin store will probably pay around spot regardless if it is proof or bullion (maybe a little more for fractional sizes). If you have a better than average local dealer (or one that specializes in platinum), then you would get more. If you sell directly to collectors (on these forums, via eBay, etc), then you could get most of the premium. I have been able to sell some online before (although I have not tried with platinum in over a year).

As far as the 1/2 oz prices on eBay, that might be temporary based on low supply (or it could be a new trend-I don't know). I've picked up 1/2 oz versions in auctions before for relatively small premiums over spot (but that was also several years back).

Edit: if you look at eBay sold listings, there have been proof 1/2 oz sales in the $600-$650 range, which isn't too bad when spot has been in the $1,000-$1,125 range.

13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Man their are a lot of MS70 and PF70 on the market on ebay. It must have been a well struck series. Must be something to do with the metal.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

No, almost all modern coins will be 69 or 70 as proofs. Platunum is heavy but scratches pretty easily, so as subject to damage as gold or silver.

None of mine are certified, I simply do not want to have to crack it out. What I really would like is if some company made a dansco for the proof series. Anyone know of any?

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don't think there is a Dansco for platinum coins. You could buy a blank one and fill it (might need to put them inside capsules first). Below is a link to a 1/10 oz platinum set in a Dansco and it looks like they put the coins into capsules and then into the album.

https://www.apmex.com/product/66807/1997-2008-12-coin-1-10-oz-platinum-eagle-set-bu-dansco-album

Draft saved Draft deleted