Ocatarinetabellatchitchix TOP of 2020.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Finally here it is: My first "TOP OF 2020" thread. I didn't do it in 2018 or 2019, thinking my coins were too ordinary or uninteresting for the majority of CT's members. But after consulting the list of other participants, I thought it was worth it since I took great pleasure in admiring the choices of other collectors even in fields that did not appeal to me at first. It was a tough year for collecting this year: I have the feeling that prices have significantly increased since the beginning of the pandemic...but maybe I'm wrong and I may get stingier as I get older. My TOP event of the year in CoinTalk is certainly the arrival of new members who are regular posters like @+VGO.DVCKS , @Only a Poor Old Man , @DonnaML , @JayAg47 , @Cicero12 , @robinjojo , @FrizzyAntoine , @Claudius_Gothicus ( sorry but I'm surely missing a few...) ; you are ENRICHING the discussions here my friends ! The TOP worse moment of 2020 happened July 4th : do you remember that we had a "pinned" thread in our "Ancient Coins Section" ?

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/listen-up.362805/

And also the almost 3rd World War that resulted from it :

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/re-listen-up.362825/

At least, this sad episode made disappear some TROLLS which reeked the atmosphere of this discussion's forum. Now my TOP "I miss you" members : @TIF , @Sallent , @Deacon Ray and @chrsmat71 . Hoping we'll see more of you in 2021. And finally my TOP wishes for the next year : you all stay healthy, you continue to share your wonderful coins here and if you're not a SUPPORTER, please do it cause it's the only way this place will stay alive ! Oups.. I almost forgot I have some coins to show-off . Here they are :

Emperors I didn't own

AEMILIAN

Antoninianus
    Rome 253 AD 4.03g 21mm
    IMP CAES AEMILIANVS PF AVG / VICTORIA AVG
    RIC 21
    7D2C21EF-A8DB-41C9-AA10-7279AF7683FE.jpeg

SALONINUS
    Antoninianus
    Antioch or Samosata 3.74g 21mm
    SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES / SPES PUBLICA
    RIC 36
    767DB709-943E-4817-B572-5FE9E3CF4422.jpeg
    This one was misattributed by the Auction House as a Valerian. Didn't they notice the SALON in the legend? Anyway a bargain at 12 euros.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-first-saloninus.356737/

QUIETUS
    Billion Antoninianus
    Antioch (?) 3.87g 22mm
    IMP C FVL QVIETVS PF AVG / AEQVTAS AVGG
    RIC 2
    6C433744-5B1D-4310-8C91-97B0E534A0E3.jpeg
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/two-brothers-reunited.368920/

FLORIAN
    Antoninianus
    Kyzikos 3.69g 22mm
    IMP FLORIANVS AVG / CONCORDIA MILITVM
    RIC 116
    8ED66B23-38BF-463A-8E2A-CBEA4F8286CE.jpeg

PROBUS IMITATION
    Aureus(!) Fourrée (and holed)
    Germanic Tribes 3.51g 21mm
    1B695057-1C78-4EC7-AEA8-1BC0DE96F18C.jpeg
    Mine is the bottom one... but a pretty cool coin anyway.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-first-aureus-a-fourrée-and-its-holed.369931/

MY UPGRADES

DECENTIUS

Arles 3.45g 24mm
    AE Centenionalis
    MAG DECENTI-VS NOB CAES / ViCT DD NN AVG ET CAES
    RIC 215
    44C57036-3094-43DE-B4A1-6E79629B3765.jpeg

VALENS
    AE 3 Nicomedia
    DN VALENS PF AVG / SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE
    RIC 12c
    B3467949-2C10-4B43-ABCD-0CE3D673D652.jpeg

MAXIMIANUS II DAIA
    AE Follis
    Cyzicus 6.77g 26mm
    GAL VAL MAXIMINVS OB C / GENIO CAESARIS
    RIC 55
    6421711C-AF5E-44E1-B730-999E5BEE360E.jpeg
    This is my "chocolate" patina of the years. I can't help but lick it every time I see it. Sorry.

THE ONE I HAD TO BUY

FLORIAN (again)

Antoninianus
    Lugdunum 3.15g. 22mm
    IMP CM AN FLORIANVS PF AVG / PACATOR ORBIS
    RIC 9 var
    3479C2FE-F327-4B28-BF1B-C3C6DEFFB6BE.jpeg

I could't resist because I own its twin brother...a Tacitus...and I like to believe the same engraver worked on these two dies...

MY SURPRISE OF THE YEAR

HONORIUS

AE 2 395 AD
    Constantinople 4.30g. 22mm
    DN HONORI-VS PF AVG / GLORIA ROMANORVM
    RIC 88d
    F9F13B69-CB89-41A2-8803-5A1CFF68422B.jpeg
    Ordinary coin, part of an uncleaned lot which soak in Pennzoil 5w40 for months. I had problems finding the exact attribution until @seth77 helped me :
    "Your coin is minted in the first half of 395, after the demise of Theodosius and the form of the obverse legend shows that. The break in legend is usually reserved for senior emperors, which is mostly why the first part of issues for Honorius ca. 393-395 have an unbroken legend DN HONORIVS PF AVG. This AE2 type was discontinued soon after the death of Theodosius, but by that time Honorius was already a senior emperor in the West and the mint at Constantinople had just enough time to strike some coins with this new obverse legend form.

Your coin is not just scarce or rare, it's very rare and historically important.
    "

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/flavius-honorius-395-423-ad.364383/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a lovely group of coins. I like them all, so I won't pick a favorite, at least without thinking about it a little first. Perhaps the Maximinus Daia? (One of several emperors in your group whom I don't yet have.)

And thanks for the kind words. The high point for me this year as a new member was the warm welcome I received from other members, both new and old. Let's not talk about that low point!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What a great set of coins for the year!
    I have to say that my favorite is the Aemilian! I love a good Victory, and from an emperor who is so uncommon, it is an absolute winner in my book.

I agree with you that the forums are definitely missing the posts of @TIF , @Sallent , @Deacon Ray and @chrsmat71 . FFIVN and I have learned a lot from each of them and they are sorely missed.

5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

As you already know, big fan of that Honorius.

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Was waiting for you to post, monsiuer. Excellent coins all around. I like the ginormous honorius myself

7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

That is quite an impressive end of year line-up @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix. I'm particularly fond of your Aemilian and Quietus antoniniani due to the rarity and their overall obscurity.

8. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

I love the Florian/Tacitus side by side! I wonder if the family resemblance was that strong. You’d have to think these engravers became a bit fatigued during the crisis years. I like to imagine this one was halfway through a new Tacitus obverse when he got the news and didn’t feel like starting over....

9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

good coins, congrats. I like the Quietus with AEQVTAS holding scales.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome lineup, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Great coins, but I must say I REALLY enjoy your great writeups and greats posts. You really add to the flavor of this Forum! Thank you.

Severus Alexander and ominus1 like this.
  11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

you got some dandies!..i shopped for 6 months for a Florian..you got TWO, & one matches you Tacitus!...not to mention the coveted Aemilian, Quietus and Salonnius, all whom i still need and been lQQking for/at most all year..all fine coins Ocat...i'm wif @Alegandron ,you sure do put on a good show sir! :)

12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Great eye - great coins.
    My favs would be the Saloninus steal and the aureus fouree (now that IS cool).
    Congrats on a fantastic year!!

13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the list. And here’s a companion coin to your Honorius, with an unbroken legend. 3AA1559D-0B2E-482E-B057-E0F87E6ABC19.jpeg

14. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Very nice! A coin like this reminds why I like the time period.

[​IMG]
    Maximianus (Tetrarchy) 287–305 A.D. follis
    IMP MAXIMANVS P F AVG / GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI
    RIC VI 25 London

[​IMG]

MAXIMIANUS II DAIA
    AE Follis
    Cyzicus 6.77g 26mm
    GAL VAL MAXIMINVS OB C / GENIO CAESARIS
    RIC 55
    View attachment 1219748
    This is my "chocolate" patina of the years. I can't help but lick it every time I see it. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  15. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins all appealing in there own right but I really love your Chocolate MAXIMINVS is an absolute beauty.

16. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

Wow, congratulations! A great selection of interesting coins from many different rulers. Personally, I think my favourites are the fourreè aureus, because it's something unusual, and the Honorius, because it can be dated to a very specific time period and that adds to its importance. I hope next year you'll find even better coins!

17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

What a year! Great acquisitions for your collection, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix!

The Honorius is the most historic and the best bargain was the Saloninus. The Probus imitation is the most fun. And just to get any Aemilian is an achievement in itself.

18. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins you have there. And thank you for the warm welcome. I have enjoyed reading your many articles. Your contribution to this site is great!

19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ocat, I like the first 3 coins posted in your thread :cool:. You certainly deserve special recognition for the numerous threads you've posted on this website, including 39 Featured Articles :jawdrop:! In honor of this recognition you are hereby given the privilege of wearing the Golden Laurel Wreath :D.

Greek Gold wreath.jpg

20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellente selection, mon cousin québécois !

I agree with all your statements here, especially about the missing ones, and I second @Al Kowsky in his applauses about your numerous featured articles

Well done my friend
    Q

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I love that Probus fourree aureus! Also the Valens with the somewhat alarmed staring eye. The Florian and Tacitus side by side are great too.

Draft saved Draft deleted