My first Saloninus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I won 3 coins this week-end. One of them is my first Saloninus misattributed by the auction house with Valerian II, even if on the obverse legend we clearly read SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES ! He was the younger son of Gallienus, and was giving the rank of Caesar upon the death of his brother Valerian II. Saloninus was sent near the German frontier, where in 260 AD he got into a disagreement with the Commander of the Rhine Postumus. It seems it was about the disposition of some loot taken from the Germans. When Valerian was captured, Postumus seized the opportunity to have himself proclaimed emperor by the troops, and invested Cologne, where Saloninus had made his headquarters. The besieged garrison elevated him to the rank of Augustus, but shortly afterwards surrendered. Saloninus was quickly executed by Postumus...

So when I realized the mistake, I did not notify the seller but instead bought the coin for 12 £...which I think is a pretty good deal. So please show me your coins of Saloninus...or his brother...or his father...or his grandfather...

Saloninus Antoninianus
    21mm 3.74g Antioch or Samosata
    SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES
    SPES PVBLICA
    Saloninus receiving flower from Spes, raising hem of robe
    RIC 36
    D17AFA88-3289-4A14-8299-5DEB49F66D1A.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one! I have one just like it, but not nearly as nice.

Saloninus - Ant. Salus from lot$0.99 Jul 2018.JPG

Saloninus Antoninianus
    (son of Gallienus)
    (c. 258-260 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata Mint

SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES, radiate, draped bust right / SPES PVBLICA, Saloninus standing right, receiving flower from Spes, raising hem of robe.
    RIC 36; Cohen 95; Sear 10775.
    (3.84 grams / 21 mm)

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, I like the rough look of it.

[​IMG]
    Saloninus (258 - 260 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: SALON VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PIETAS AVG, priestly implements - littus, knife, jug, simpulum, and sprinkler.
    Rome
    4.3g
    21.1mm
    RIC V 9, RSC IV 4

[​IMG]
    Saloninus (258 - 260 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: PO LI KORCA VALERIANOC K CEB, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Eagle standing left, head turned, holding wreath, L Z(?) in fields.
    23.3mm
    7.38g
    Köln 3005; Dattari (Savio) 5377; K&G 93.8; Emmett 3776.7.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I showed this a couple of days ago, but will share again. Saloninus 2.jpg
    SALONINUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    REVERSE: SPES PVBLICA, Prince, holding spear and Spes, holding flower standing face to face; wreath above
    Struck at Samosata, 259-260 AD
    2.81g, 22mm
    RIC V 36 var.

6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Maybe, but yours is 0.10g heavier...

Thanks for sharing, I missed your post.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's one:

Saloninus Caesar, Billon Antoninianus, 258-260 AD, Cologne Mint. Obv. Radiate draped bust right, SALON VALERIANVS CAES/ Rev. sacrificial implements, PIETAS AVG. RIC V-1 9, RSC IV 41, Sear RCV III 10767 (ill.). 20.5 mm., 3.13 g.

Saloninus Ant. - Obv..jpg

Saloninus Ant. - Rev..jpg

8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a pretty good deal - congrats. Here's my first and only: Saloninus.jpg
    Saloninus as Caesar, AD 258-260. AR Antoninianus Mediolanum (Milan) mint. 1st emission, AD 258-260
    Obv: SAL VALERIANVS CS, radiate and draped bust right
    Rev: PRINC IVVENT, Saloninus standing facing, head left, holding baton and transverse spear; one standard behind
    Size: 21.5-23mm, 3.51g
    Ref: RIC V 10; RSC 61

9. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice find, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ... and thank you for the writeup.

[​IMG]
    RI Saloninus 259 BI Ant Stndg Globe Spear Captive at feet

Mom
    [​IMG]
    RI Salonina wife of Gallienus 254-268 CE AE Ant 3.61g 20mm Rome mint 267-268 CE crescent Deer Walking delta RIC V 16

galba68, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Congratulations on your score :D! Your coin looks unusually well struck for the type. Are you going to try & remove some of that incrustation ?

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

DonnaML, That's a lovely portrait on your coin :D. The over-sized radiate crown gives the impression that this is a small child :rolleyes:. Who knows, maybe he was....

DonnaML likes this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here's another SPES PVBLICA, but with different reverse imagery. From the Cologne mint--notice the crudeness of the lettering. It looks almost barbarous:
    [​IMG]
    Cologne mint
    Silver Double Denarius
    Obv: SALON VALERIANVS CAES
    Rev: SPES PVBLICA - Spes, walking left, holding flower and raising skirt
    RIC 13, var.
    22x20mm, 2.2g.

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like that SPES PVBLICA reverse type. What a bargain, too, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix !

That's because some of the types struck in the name of Valerian II have erroneously been assigned by the authors of older references, such as Cohen, to Saloninus. Such references should be used cautiously. As you note, inclusion of SAL or SALON in the inscription is a certain indicator that the coinage is of Saloninus and not Valerian II; similarly, without SAL or SALON, the coinage probably belongs to Valerian II.

I have the more common and less interesting priestly implements reverse type:

[​IMG]
    Saloninus, Caesar AD 258-260.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 2.39 g, 22.2 mm, 12 h.
    Cologne, AD 258-260.
    Obv: SALON VALERIANVS CAES, radiate and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG, lituus, jug, simpulum and sprinkler.
    Refs: RIC 9; Göbl 914e; Cohen 41; RCV 10767; Cunetio 744; Hunter 8.

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

He was 16 or 17, so not as young as he looks on the coin. The over-sized crown definitely creates the impression that he was a young child.

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my Valerian II. I just lost out on a Saloninus last week.

Valerian II, AR antoninianus, 23 mm 4.2 grams

Struck: 257-258, Cologne.

Obverse: VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right

Reverse: IOVI CRESCENTI, the child Jupiter sitting right on the goat Amalthea, looking left, right hand raised, left hand holding the goat's horn.

Reference: RIC 3 (Lyons); Cohen 26 (Saloninus); Elmer 67a; Goebl 0907e; Sear 10731.

valerianII1.jpg

valerianII2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted