Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection as of January 3, 2019

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

[​IMG]

January 3, 2019

In 2013, I did a major purge of all my coin collections and decided to simplify to just one small box of "nicer" coins, focusing more on quality than quantity. However, pursuing quality remains an ongoing challenge on my budget. I have tried to develop a discerning eye for nice coins that are still obtainable on a working-class salary.

I also abandoned the idea of structured "sets", and have gone completely "freestyle", liberating myself to collect whatever catches my fancy, though you'll likely still notice some subtle themes which reflect my personal tastes.

Aesthetic "eye appeal" is my first goal and historical, artistic, or cultural appeal a very close second. In keeping with the "eclectic" attribute, I'm also trying to add as wide a variety as possible of time periods, cultures, and geographic regions here.

Until mid-2016, I stuck to the "Box of 20" principle, where the collection was always 20 coins (in other words, if I wanted to add one, I had to sell one). I have since abandoned the 20-coin limit and let the collection grow.

Coin photos in this collection are not shown to scale.

Main galleries:

"Eclectic Box" gallery on CollectiveCoin (the current lineup)
    "Bygones" from the Eclectic Box (gone, but not forgotten)

Last update: November 21, 2018
    Number of coins as of last update: 40
    Number of coins as of this update: 48

As always, thanks for looking.

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick (aka "LordM")
    St. Simons Island, Georgia, January 3, 2019

Kasia, FooFighter, CircCam and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]

Greece (Ionia, Phokaia): electrum hekte; Athena and quadripartite punch, ca. 478-387 BC
    [​IMG]
    NGC VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5.

Greece (Thessaly, Pharkadon): silver hemidrachm; Thessalos restraining bull, ca. 440-400 BC
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex-Sphinx Numismatics.

Greece (Corinth): silver stater; Pegasus and Athena, ca. 345-307 BC; control mark of Artemis Phosphoros with torch
    [​IMG]
    NGC AU; Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5.

Greece (Mysia, Lampsakos): silver diobol; janiform heads and Athena, ca. 4th-3rd century BC
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex-Ken Dorney.

Greece (Spartans in Taras, Calabria, Italy): silver drachm; Athena and owl, ca. 302-281 BC
    [​IMG]
    NGC XF; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

Greece (Kingdom of Macedon): silver "Mercenaries" drachm of King Perseus, ca. 175-170 BC
    [​IMG]
    NGC Ch MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus; Ceres and curule chair, ca. 63 BC
    [​IMG]
    NGC Ch VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5.

Roman Empire: silver denarius of Vespasian; capricorns and globe, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD
    [​IMG]
    NGC AU; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5.

Roman Egypt: billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, Year 15 (130-131 AD); Hadrian receiving corn ears from Alexandria
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex-Ex- Arkadien Numismata, Switzerland.

Byzantine Empire: gold tremissis of Justinian I; Victory with wreath and cross, ca. 527-565 AD
    [​IMG]
    NGC MS; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, "wrinkled".

Sasanian Empire: silver drachm of Khusrow II; fire altar with two attendants; struck 611 AD
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex- Marc Breitsprecher.

4. lordmarcovan

5. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]
    (Part 1)

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615
    [​IMG]
    PCGS XF45; population 1 with 1 higher as of 1/3/2019.

Belgium (Liège, Chapter of St. Lambert): copper communion token; memento mori, ca. 1680s
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex- Heritage Auctions Europe.

Bolivia (Spanish Colonial): silver "cob" type 1-real coin of Charles II, 1694 VR, Potosí mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS VF25; population 1 - the only example graded by PCGS as of 1/3/2019.

Germany (Nuremberg): silver medal by Daniel Dockler the Younger, 1730; bicentennial of the Augsburg Confession
    [​IMG]
    Presently uncertified; ex- Künker am Dom, Germany.

Switzerland (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden of 36 schillings), 1739
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU58; population 1- the only example certified by PCGS as of 1/3/2019.

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759-JB, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS XF40- population 1 - the only example certified by PCGS as of 1/3/2019- also the key date for the type.

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales ("Pillar Dollar"), 1761-Mo-MM, Mexico City mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU50; population 5 with 15 higher as of 1/3/2019.

India (Mysore): gold fanam of Tipu Sultan, AH 1200 (1786), Patan mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS62; population 1 - the only example certified by PCGS as of 1/3/2019.

Belgium (Austrian Netherlands): copper 2 liards (2 Oorden); Insurrection coinage, 1790
    [​IMG]
    NGC MS63 BN; population 3 with 4 higher as of 1/3/2019.

Great Britain: gilt copper proof halfpenny of George III, 1806, Soho mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS PR65 DCAM, ex-NGC PR64 CAM; PCGS population 1 with 1 higher as of 1/3/2019.

6. lordmarcovan

[​IMG]
    (Part 2)

United States: silver half dollar, Draped Bust type, Heraldic Eagle reverse, 1807
    [​IMG]
    PCGS F12, CAC verified; population 162 with 1,524 higher as of 1/3/2019.

Iran (Persia): gold toman of Fath Ali Shah, AH 1233 (1817), Yazd mint
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS62; population 5 with none higher as of 1/3/2019.

United States: copper large cent, Coronet type, 1818; likely from the Randall Hoard found in 1869
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS62 BN; population 166 with 321 higher as of 1/3/2019.

Great Britain: silver shilling of George IV, ca. 1826-1829, mint error (struck 20% off-center)
    [​IMG]
    PCGS XF40; no population data since errors are unique, but a rare error for the type.

Liberia: proof copper cent; Liberty in Phrygian cap and palm tree; first coin issued for Liberian independence, 1847
    [​IMG]
    PCGS PR65 BN, ex-NGC PF64 BN; PCGS population 1- finest graded at either service as of 1/3/2019.

United States: silver dime, Seated Liberty type, arrows at date subtype, 1853
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU53; population 55 with 860 higher as of 1/3/2019.

United States: gold dollar, 1855; Type 2; small "Indian Princess" head
    [​IMG]
    PCGS XF45; population 310 with 3,426 higher as of 1/3/2019. (Temporary photo.)

Japan (Meiji Era): silver and gold Nibu-Kin (2 bu), ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU55; population 106 with 53 higher as of 1/3/2019.

France: silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Ernest-Paulin Tasset, 1869
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS63
    ; population 2 with none higher as of 1/3/2019.

Belgium: copper 2 centimes of Leopold II, 1874 (small wide date variety); lion and monogram
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS65 BN; population 1- the only example certified by PCGS as of 1/3/2019.

7. lordmarcovan

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  8. lordmarcovan

9. lordmarcovan

January 3, 2019 update:

Last update: November 21, 2018
    Number of coins as of last update: 40
    Number of coins as of this update: 48

We have had
    9 arrivals and 1 departure since last time.

I fleshed out the modern end of the collection a little bit, but also added a Roman provincial coin, a nice medieval Crusader piece, and a classic US gold coin, since I lacked anything in that category after the departure of my former "top gun", the 1842-D half-eagle.

Here's what came in:

Roman Egypt: billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, Year 15 (130-131 AD); Hadrian receiving corn ears from Alexandria
    [​IMG]

Crusader States (Lusignan Kingdom of Cyprus): silver gros petit of Henry II, King of Cyprus and Jerusalem, ca. 1285-1324
    [​IMG]

Germany (Nuremberg): silver medal by Daniel Dockler the Younger, 1730; bicentennial of the Augsburg Confession
    [​IMG]

United States: gold dollar, 1855; Type 2; small "Indian Princess" head
    [​IMG]

Belgium: copper 2 centimes of Leopold II, 1874 (small wide date variety); lion and monogram
    [​IMG]

Ireland: cupronickel halfcrown (2 shillings 6 pence), 1951; Irish Hunter horse
    [​IMG]

Greece: silver 30-drachmai of Paul I; "Five Greek Kings" commemorative, 1963
    [​IMG]

San Marino: silver proof 10-euro, 2006-R; Antonio Canova's "Three Graces" statue
    [​IMG]

Austria: silver proof 10-euro, 2008, Klosterneuburg Abbey commemorative
    [​IMG]

And here's what went out:

United States: cupronickel dime, Roosevelt type, 2001-P, mint error (missing obverse clad layer)
    [​IMG]

That last was a nice little error coin, but PCGS wanted more to slab it than the coin itself cost. Sometimes I don't mind that, but with their $65.00++ "Errors" tier fee, return shipping, and so on, it would have cost $90-something to slab! So forget that- I sold it. Maybe it would have been worth the hassle and maybe not, but I sold it off to fuel further purchases.

Thanks for looking and commenting, as always. :)

10. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

WHEW !!! Those are some coins and that is one great post.

I like them all, I was going to call out a couple of 'em , but man, I like them all.

I've actually bid on several of those types , but haven't won any. I'm very frugal. (That's a nice word for cheap. )

Extremely eclectic and one of the best collections I've seen. After seeing these, I know exactly what you mean by " eye appeal ".

Just so I don't have to spend half the night hitting the like buttons, EVERY post gets a big like from me.

PlanoSteve, ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I still am liking that Switzerland/Zurich "city view"/Lion coin best. With a very close 2nd being that Iran/Persia gold coin looking so interesting to me and that it is gold also has my attention.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Hookman, ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Thanks. I like it when folks take the time comment on their favorites.

Hookman, PlanoSteve and ddddd like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Very nice collection, my favorite, the 1855 Type 2 gold dollar.

Hookman, ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Just got that. It looks better in hand. I mean, it's not in hand yet, but I've seen it before when I visited @Aethelred, from whose shop inventory I bought it (at a nice price, I might add). These temporary pictures don't do it justice, I think. Hope to get it reimaged eventually.

Hookman, dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  15. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

The King Perseus drachm and the Zurich thaler are really stunning.

Curtisimo, lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

The Peacock is still one of my favorites (and as you know inspired me to purchase one :)). From your recent additions, I like the Belgian Lion; cool design and some attractive color is a great mix!

17. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

History, artistry and eye appeal...this collection has it all but this morning that Peacock token is my favorite but I'm sure that'll change by the end of the day. My hat's off to you sir and I think that any collector would do well to follow your lead. It's an outstanding example for @CoinBlazer ...

Hookman, lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
  18. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Good pick up on the Nürnberg! And I’m still in love with your 1/4 Taler. It’s on my list of coins I’d buy immediately if I won the lottery or finally sold a bunch of my excess coins.

Hookman, lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
  19. MasterSamurai

MasterSamurai Compulsive Change Sifter

My favorite is the Belgium Copper 2 centimes from 1874. Gorgeous toning and great design! I have one myself, but not in that great of a condition. Just a little bit jealous :yack:

20. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Wow, Every time I look at these coins I start to drool! The us dimes are pretty, like your barber and seated.

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

All wonderful examples but that "city view" has to be my favorite as well. It would be interesting to see the view of this exact spot today...:)

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted