Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus; Ceres and curule chair, ca. 63 BC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, May 20, 2018.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

17.1%
  2. 9

26.8%
  3. 8

31.7%
  4. 7

17.1%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC
    01-Brocchus-frame.png
    Obverse: III VIR BROCCHI, bust of Ceres right, between wheat ear and barley corn.
    Reverse: L FVRI C N F, curule chair between fasces.
    Issuer: Roman Republic.
    Specifications: silver, 18 mm, 3.9 g,
    Grade: NGC Ch VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, cert. #4166941-005. Purchased raw.
    Reference attribution: Rome mint, Crawford 414/1; Sydenham 902a; Furia 23a-365.*.
    Provenance: ex-Joseph Mastrario, DBA Imperator Coins, Macon, Georgia, USA, 27 October 2014. Prior provenance to CNG eAuction 296, Lot 219, 13 February 2013, cited there as "ex-Chiltern collection".*

Notes: A handsome coin with attractive style and old cabinet toning which is not entirely apparent in the photographs. It appears this might have been overstruck on an earlier coin, since there are ghostly features in the blank fields around the curule chair on the reverse, but the undertype, if there was one, is too indistinct to determine. There also seems to be a die chip or other feature on the underside of Ceres' nose.
    Comments: I liked this design for the portrait, and the coin for its pastel toning.

01-Brocchus-frame.png 02-Brocchus-black.png 03-Brocchus-gradient.png 04-Brocchus-white.png 05-Brocchus-alt.png 06-Brocchus-shadowbox.png 07-Brocchus-slab.png

030800S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Johnnie Black and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Absolutely terrific coin, great detail and toning.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great toning, and just the right amount of wear. A real beauty.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Thanks.

Maybe I've spent just a few too many years around people who obsess over the minute difference between a 66 and a 67 on the label of a plastic slab (to the point where they then began obsessing so much that someone created a company to grade the grading and add stickers to the slabs. Now I'm waiting for someone to add stickers to the stickers, thereby third-guessing the second-guessers.)

Where was I?

Off on another rambling tangent, that's where.

Oh, yeah. So anyway, what I was getting at was that after spending so much time with nitpicky numismatic perfectionists, I once might not have understood what you meant about "just the right amount of wear".

But I do. I totally do. That's definitely a thing.

I think your avatar is another example of that.

Valentinian and ominus1 like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

It pleases me to hear you say this, lordmarcovan...I've always found wear more attractive than Unc., even in my younger years. In fact, uncirculated coins make me nervous - I always feel as if I'm going to leave a thumbprint on them and reduce the value by a gazillion dollars. Over the years I've gotten a few uncs, mostly by accident in lots. Usually I sell them off right away, before I smudge 'em.

On the other hand, worn, countermarked, holed, pin-backed, looped, chopmarked, banker marked (for ancients) and otherwise damaged coins can be quite interesting and attractive and I can handle them guilt-free!

I actually have two other examples of my Avatar that are in much better shape, but they lack the toning of this one, so I decided to keep it up. Thank you for noticing.

Valentinian, lordmarcovan and ominus1 like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

And now you're obsessing about what we think of your coin by reposting your whole collection individually with polls asking if we like the coin!

Do you like the coin? That's what matters. Why did you buy this coin? Was it for beauty? (nothing wrong with that :)) Was it for the history? For the value? For some other personal reason? If you're not going to post a writeup this time around, at least tell us why you bought the coin. That will make it much more interesting and personal, like your wonderful metal detecting posts.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the toning.
    L Furius CNF Brocchus.jpg

10. lordmarcovan

Geez, @TIF, give a fella some time! Did you read Post #2?

It's taken me two days just to get this far, and I've got another couple dozen writeups to catch up on. Nearly two years worth of purchases.

Whatsamatter with posting an utterly unscientific poll, for fun? I rather like doing that, as you may have noticed. ;)

And just because I enjoy polling other people's responses doesn't mean I'm incapable of forming my own feelings about a coin, as you seem to imply. And don't think that the retooling of these subthreads has anything to do with the polls. Those just appear at the top of the page by default. I only decided to start adding them this morning. There were more important reasons behind my reformatting.

As to my detecting stories, those were easier to write because I usually had firsthand knowledge of what I was talking about. With ancient and medieval coins, such confidence in my own scholarship is not a given. Detailed writeups take time and thought. Sure, I'm enthusiastic, and I know a little bit about them - even enough to string together a semi-coherent sentence or two - but I often start from a much less educated position with an ancient or medieval coin purchase. I buy based more on gut intuition and aesthetic appeal, then learn the finer points later. This makes doing writeups difficult at first.

Once I get caught up with the writeups, I intend to make Post #2 in these writeup threads just the sort of thing you're suggesting: the personal commentary. Maybe a paragraph about a coin's history and then a rundown of some "pro & con" bullet points, like the Antique Sage site does.

Valentinian and Curtisimo like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

LM, let's continue this by PM so as to not unnecessarily distress the board.

12. lordmarcovan

What's there to be "distressed" about? By all means, feel free to PM me if you're distressed about something.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

lordmarcovan said:
    when I get around to it.
    For the record, I started my web pages in 1997 and marked several as works in progress tat would be updated or expanded later. I retired from work in 2003 but found other things to do besides update coin pages. I added several new and better pages but never got around to updating and improving the early ones. This year the host of my pages changed their software so my FTP program will no longer access the pages he hosts so I can't even go back and delete the pages that made promises that will never be kept. I see a problem with the Internet where things get posted and stay there like plastic bottles floating in the ocean for 500 years. I would support a change to Coin Talk where threads not posted to for one year would disappear. I hope you will get around to updating your pages but I probably won't see it since I have been known to skip posts when I see they were made to antique threads in favor of posts to new subjects. Sometimes we find time for both; sometimes we have to chose. I agree with TIF that you would be better posting a coin and what you want to say about it now. Round tuits are sold in novelty shops but rarely find practical use after the joke wears down.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Just amazing! I had to give it 9 of 10, only because it's not mine:p
    I like this coin a bunch and have always been pretty proud of mine...even if it looks like someone accidentally left it on the train tracks!
    CollageMaker Plus_201845192253260.png

15. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you meant for those threads to be deleted, rather than just locked from new posts? There are hundreds of very valuable threads/discussions on this site that should be available in perpetuity. It would be a mistake to delete them.

16. lordmarcovan

My intention here is to create subthreads (individual coin writeups) for all the coins that lack them, to link to from my periodic Eclectic Box updates.

I intended to complete the basic factual OPs (Post #1 in each subthread) before composing my thoughts and going back to write a paragraph (or two, given my bloated style) about each coin's basic history, and then a few pros and cons about the coin. That's why I've put that temporary "Round TUIT" statement in Post #2 of these writeups.

Tell y'all what - I'll go back and complete those secondary posts for all the ancient and medieval coins before I go on to post the rest of the World coins (in the World Coins Forum).

And I'm done with the ancients now. I completed that in a flurry, because I had a block of time available to do so. My apologies if they "cluttered up" or "flooded" the forum briefly. They will disperse and sink in due time. Think of it as the flooding of the Nile- a once-yearly (or scarcer) event.

Sorry too if my predilection for lighthearted, semiserious polls has rubbed anyone else the wrong way.

Would a website be better than my byzantine, Rube Goldberg-esque system of interlaced message board threads? Maybe. Probably. But it would also require me to surmount another learning curve and might not get any traffic or response. Do I crave that attention? Of course I do. Is that so wrong? I've been thinking about it, though. I'll bet the templates for website building are probably much easier than they were the last time I looked into that.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

FWIW, I very much enjoy your posts, polls included! Much better than a website, which I might not see. :)

18. lordmarcovan

Thank you for that. I needed to hear that just now.

Curtisimo and Severus Alexander like this.
  19. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

I quite agree with you!

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have no objections for the way you have presented your coins. I also see the polls as enjoyable.

Curtisimo and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

While ruminating over what an "FTP program" might possibly be, the best I could come up with was that FTP = "FEL TEMP PEPPERONI", which implies that either I've been hanging around you ancient coin peeps too long, or I'm just hungry. Maybe both.

To the fridge I go. There would be a real Fel Temp in the Old Town Tonight if there was some pepperoni in there, but I suspect not. And since that's usually reserved for Victoria's school lunch, I'm not allowed to touch it anyway.

Oh! I've got it! An FTP server is a server who brings you your Fel Temp Pepperoni?

Preferably on top of a pizza.

And then a Fel Temp is had by all.

:woot::hungry:

Last edited: May 20, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted