Let's march through time with Roman Imperials!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

You are going so fast! When the Provincial towns are plodding, plodding slowly...

I never posted these coins, but here they are:
    A barbarous imitation (Eastern Europe) of a well-known denarius of Augustus with priestly implements:

2102 B Augustus ct.jpg

Augustus 27 BC-14 AD, denarius, barbaric imitation from Eastern Europe, probably Dacia. 2 BC-2 AD. Augustus with Lucius and Gaius as caesars. Obv. Head with laurel crown to the left, with mumble script. Rev. Caesars betweens shields and lances, with simpulum & lituus. The left lance is combined with the lituus. 18 mm, 3.12 gr. Original = RIC 210 (this type only with head to the right).

2119 Agrippa ct.jpg

Not rare, but to me a very attractive piece with a high level of artistry, almost baroque in style:
    Caligula (37-41). AE As in honor of his grandfather Agrippa (died in 12 BC). Obv. Head of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown. M AGRIPPA COS III. Rev. Neptune standing, holding dolphin & trident, S C on either side. 25 mm, 14.50 gr.

And this wondrous coin:

3105 S Pollio ct.jpg

LYDIA. Sardis. AE27 Germanicus and Drusus (died AD 19 and 23, respectively). Struck about 24-26, but restruck with a ring by Asinius Pollio, their half-brother and proconsul of Asia. Obv: Germanicus and Drusus seated left on curule chairs, one of whom holds a lituus. Rev: ΓΑΙΩΑΣΙΝΝΙΩΠΟΛΛΙΩΝΙΑΝΘΥΠΑΤΩ. KOINOY / AΣIAΣ in two lines within wreath. 26.5 mm, 13.75 gr. RPC I 2995; BMC 106-109; Paris 1193-1196; Waddington 5238; SNG Cop 518; Weber 6905; Sear SGI 365. See here. Asinius Pollio wanted to emphasize his imperial relations.

And here is Germanicus again. If some of these princes hadn't died so young, things might have gone differently for the Roman empire.

3103 Germ ct.jpg

AE Germanicus (-19). Sardes, Lydia. Mnaseas as magistrate. Obv.: Bare head left. ΓEPMANIKΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ. Rev.: Athena standing left, holding phiale, spear and shield. ΣΑΡΔΙΑΝΩΝ MNAΣEAΣ. 13-14 mm, 2.72 gr. RPC I 2993. SNG Copenhagen -; BMC Lydia 113 corr. (no phiale).

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

We haven't gotten that far yet. I've been waiting to drop my schwaggy version of that Germanicus and Drusus. Almost there...as long as @lordmarcovan will be kind enough to keep this train on the tracks:happy:

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sorry this thread failed so miserably. Would it have gone better using the ERIC II rarity list so the first ten names would be people most people could play and the thread could have died respectfully after a hundred or so posts?

6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Well, it hasn't died. Except for some fun we stayed at the coins of Augustus and Tiberius, and their contemporaries, so far. In fact I wanted to add Livia to the troupe, with her stag, at the side of Augustus: 3124 Livia.jpg :

AE Augustus & Livia, Ephesus. Obv. Double portrait, heads right. Rev. Stag to the right, lettering only above: EFE/S.. . 20 mm, 5.48 gr.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I guess the instructions in the thread title are out the window too...

Let's march through time with Roman Imperials!

Orfew and ominus1 like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, I meant that just to say we're stsrting with Augustus. Provincials are fine.

Ryro and ominus1 like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Drusus

[​IMG]
    Tiberius & Drusus ( 14 - 37 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea-Eusebia
    O: [TI C]AES AVG PM TRP XXXV, Laureate head of Tiberius right.
    R: DRVSVS CAES TI] AVG F COS II R P, Head of Drusus left.
    Caesarea in Cappadocia mint 33- 34 A.D.
    3.47g
    19mm
    RIC I 87; RPC I 3622. Syd 46

11. lordmarcovan

Google Image Search is where I got mine.

ominus1 likes this.
  12. Bing

OK, but where are we at?

13. lordmarcovan

That would have totally invalidated the "march through time" aspect, now, wouldn't it?

But I did consider it.

This is messy, but has more long term potential. I thought of @Curtisimo's "World Coins Time Machine" thread, which has ticked backwards one year at a time, covering several centuries by now.

We'll go forwards one ruler at a time here, if it doesn't fall apart completely.

Curtisimo and Ryro like this.
  14. Ryro

@Bing same place we were when I posted this (hidden at the bottom of page 4).
    Anyone got a Sejanus?

15. Bing

Nero Claudius Drusus 1.jpg
    NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: NERO CLAVDIVS DRVSVS GERMANICVS IMP - Bare head left
    REVERSE: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TRP IMP Exe: SC - Claudius seated left, holding branch; weapons on floor
    Rome 41BC-2 AD
    28.6g, 36mm
    RIC 93

16. lordmarcovan

No Sejanus here!

These are the only two Tiberiuses (Tiberii?) I've ever had. Both Tribute pennies.

RS004-Tiberius.JPG TC03-Tiberius-026000-frame.jpg

17. Ryro

This'll at least get us through Nero without having to click back and forth between sites... Screenshot_2018-12-02-17-21-47.png

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Ryro

Here's one of the most impetuous wanna be imps...
    Sejanus!
    RPC_398.1-r.jpg
    Tiberius, AE28, Bilbilis, Spain, TI CAESAR DIVI AVGVSTI F AVGVSTVS Laureate head of Tiberius right / MVN AVGVSTA BILBILIS TI CAESARE V L AELIO SEIANO around wreath containing COS (borrowed from wild winds)

19. Ryro

Been jealous of that one for a while Bing. Thanks for bringing her to the party!

Justin Lee likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

It was out of sequence though, posted before you added Sejanus. :banhappy:

Ryro likes this.
  21. Ryro

CollageMaker Plus_201845215533480.png
    ANTONIA MINOR

wife of Nero Claudius
    Drusus, mother of
    Germanicus and Claudius.