[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Inspired by the generosity of @lordmarcovan I figured it would be fun to get another game going in the world coins forum! Also in recognition of his generosity and to help with getting the world coins section humming with numismatic activity I will be offering a prize coin to sweeten the deal. Here are the rules;

1. I will post a coin in the OP from 2017 to get us started.

2. Posters can then post a coin from the SAME YEAR or PREVIOUS YEAR! For example the next coin played can be 2017 or 2016 and so on…

3. No skipping years!

4. The coin should be datable to a specific year by some mark or characteristic. It doesn’t necessarily need to be minted with a written date as long as it can be confidently dated to a year. No date ranges (Ex.: a coin datable to 1630-1636 would not be usable). Feel free to share with us anything interesting about the dating of the coin in your post.

5. Eastern and other coins that don’t use the Gregorian calendar are fair play even if the year doesn’t align perfectly as long as they are datable to ONE year in that calendar. At the bottom of the post just tell us the closest equivalent date in the Gregorian calendar. (Ex.: 1834/5)

6. Counter stamps and bankers marks are fair play as long as they are dated.

7. At the bottom of each post please tell us the country and date of your coin.

8. Once the thread has been inactive for 30 days (I.E. no new coins played) the member (other than me) who played the last coin with the earliest date that falls within the rules will win the OP coin!

Some Guidelines for play:

· US coins are welcome! However, since this is the world coins forum I would like to see as many entries from our world coin collectors as possible. In that spirit I suggest that we try not to flip the date more than every other year with a US coin. However, if the thread gets stuck for a day or so all bets are off and let’s see those American beauties ;)

· Try to post one coin at a time but feel free to post multiple coins.

· If the winner chooses so they may elect another member to receive the OP coin on their behalf.

· If I made any mistakes or omissions in the above rules we will play it by ear and see where this goes :artist::happy:

· Have fun! I'm interested to see how far back we can actually go with this.

So without further ado here is the first (and prize) coin.

Armenia_200_Dram.jpg

Armenia 2017

UPDATE: After some consideration I have decided that a mystery prize coin will also be given to the "MVP" of the game! This could be whoever has the most entries in the game or it could be someone who just consistently adds some really interesting content. So make sure to post your coins from the year that is in play as much as possible so we can all enjoy and admire them. Hopefully this encourages everyone to get involved even for these earlier dates :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You TOTALLY read my mind ... I thought about starting this very same game last night, but lack of an imaged 2017 coin and other distractions stopped me.

We'll need to go back into the 19th century and earlier before I have much to post, but thank you for launching this game - I was just about to!

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- I hadn't thought of a prize aspect, though. Great Armenian coin! Noah's Ark?

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks, I thought this was a pretty interesting design. Hopefully this contest forces me to take some more pictures of my newer world coins! :)

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'll play! I'm not going to have anything for several years, unless I raid my pocket change...but I'll jump in when I can.

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I'll start with my avatar.

Great Britain 2016 Britannia proof.jpg

Great Britain 2016

Larry E, Ima Dragon, NCnovice and 9 others like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I love the design on almost every Britannica coin I've ever seen. Great addition.

To get us past these first few decades we may have to resort to pocket change it seems ;)

Here is my very poorly photographed 2016 gold Mercury Dime. So anything 2015 or 2016 is fair play for next!
    2016_Gold_Mercury_Dime.jpg
    United States 2016

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

10. Johndoe2000$

s-l400 (24).jpg s-l400 (25).jpg
    Congo, Silverback Gorilla. 2015

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

0615170746b-1.jpg 0615170746a-1.jpg
    2015 Mexico-One Dollar... With quite a gnarly obverse if I may say so myself. Found in a large pile of coins in a Coinstar reject tray.

Ima Dragon, spirityoda, Stork and 3 others like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Can I recommend you alter the winner to be randomly selected from all participants? You're basically just rewarding whoever has the oldest coin (and presumably the biggest budget) with another coin :p

john-charles and Curtisimo like this.
  13. Seattlite86

Here's my 2015 Poland 1 Grosz. It doesn't have a KM# just yet.

IMG_9653-horz.jpg

Larry E, Ima Dragon, Stork and 3 others like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think I'll let the rules stand for now but I hear what you are saying. If this thread gains traction I will probably offer an additional "surprise" prize coin chosen at random :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Nice idea. It will be a while before I can get in unless I take more pictures. But I have coins for every year back to the mid-1800s. If only I had the time to image them all!

john-charles and Curtisimo like this.
  16. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

To help move this backwards.

Mexico 2014 5 Onza.jpg

17. Seattlite86

Unfortunately, the bulk of my collection is in another country. My claim to fame though, was a birthday present to my wife's grandfather. He turned 80. I gave him 80 coins from 80 different countries from 80 different years. My wife helped me put into a frame and shape it into the number 80. Now where did I put those photos...?

sonlarson and Curtisimo like this.
  18. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

0615171034-1.jpg 0615171034a-1.jpg
    2013-Mexico-5 Dollars
    I know, I know. Another Mexican coin, once we get a little further back I'll be able to contribute coins from other nations.

19. Johndoe2000$

s-l1600 (20).jpg
    s-l1600 (18).jpg

2012 Britannia portrait set. Bad photos, I know. (had problems posting pics earlier, "server?")

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  20. Seattlite86

India 2 Rupees 2011 C Mint, KM 395.
    Sorry for the poor photography, I'm in a rush to get out the door. I'm almost tempted not to help move this further back in time because most of the coins I have with me stop around the early-mid 1900s and adding only helps those who are waiting for us to move further backwards :p

IMG_9655-horz.jpg

Ima Dragon, Stork, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  21. Johndoe2000$

2010 Canadian silver (gold plated) owl.
    s-l400 (26).jpg s-l400 (27).jpg
    (sellers pics)
    s-l400 (28).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted