Just bought some ASE's Franklins, and Washintton silver coins. + a 1 ozt trade unit.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mralexanderb, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

My friends' wife works in a bank and she picks out the Silver coins for him. Today, he offered some to me at 5% below spot.

I got:
    6 ASE's-- 87, 89, and 4 1996's
    10 Ben Franklins : 3-54D's, 1-58d, 2-60's, 1-61D, 2-63's
    5 JFK 1964
    18 Washingtons 5-64's, 5-64 d's, 41, 51, 54d, 54, 57, 58d, 60d & 63d

There was also, a One Troy Ounce Silver Trade Unit token which is in great shape and weighs out to 31.1g. I will post this in another thread for identification.

So, I spent $463 for all of this silver, when spot was $31.82. I think I did OK.

What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I wish bank employees [and everyone in general] would tell customers who deposit silver for face value instead of picking it out. Of course, if they put it into a counting machine there is no opportunity. I've never been comfortable taking from people who aren't aware of the value.

4. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Cloudweeper: your not taking my uncle bought 106 rolls of mercury dimes from a high school student.

5. mralexanderb

From what I've been told, the teller advises these people that the coins are worth more than face value. She has yet to have any depositer care. The ASE's say 1 dollar and that's what they want.

6. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

amazing.. now all you need is some of those 5oz hockey pucks to get deposited for a quarter since that is what they are tender for if I'm not mistaken...

7. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

People are cashing in ASEs for face value at banks? Good lord...this will sound harsh, but they deserve to lose out on the real value for being ignorant.

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

No, they deserve to be taught to take it down to the local coin shop and collect the bullion value.

9. I think you did OK, depending on condition of the coins. Be sure to check for type B quarters. TC

10. mralexanderb

TC,
    Thanks for reminding me. Now, I had to go and look up some threads about the B types of Washington quarters.

Here is some good info from earlier threads that I found useful:

http://www.cointalk.com/t72803/

I
    'll wait until this weekend to search for the proof reverse on the '56 - 64 quarters. Has there been any updates on the finds of these Type B's?

11. They are not a popular as a few years ago, but many still search for them as they still carry a premium. Condition is key. Check you 1964d quarter for type c reverse as well. That one commands a hefty premium in any grade. TC

12. mralexanderb

Draft saved Draft deleted