Is it an error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by LW5628, Jan 13, 2017.

1. LW5628

LW5628 New Member

In God we rust?

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's considered a Filled Die. The letter T was filled with debris and did not allow the full word to be formed. Very minor error. Worthless unless sold on ebay to people who don't know the facts.
    We have seen a few of these on CoinTalk

Tim Lackie Jr, Dynoking and usmc60 like this.
  4. LW5628

LW5628 New Member

Thanks for the reply.. I'm aware of the Kansas quarter error but didn't know Pennsylvania had the same error.

5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

2up-2.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You are welcome
    This actually could happen on any coin and any year. It's a normal (common) occurrence.

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just a thought. Even though it's considered a low valued coin. The choice to keep it is yours. Let me just say out of the thousands of quarters I've examined, I have not come across one yet. And I know if I come across one it's going to go into my collection, along with any other ones that I may find. And yes filled debris dies are quite often found. Some can be very interesting.:happy::blackalien:

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

This error is so common that you can find examples of it on just about every denomination and type coin from pennies to dollars. @paddyman98 was being polite. The people who buy these on FleaBay are often referred to as "bidiots".

Chris

Dynoking and LW5628 like this.
  9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

paddyman98 Question. Here we go again on this merry-go-round. How can the missing T, even on any denomination coinage be considered (common))) . Since 1999 I have not come across one. And believe me I've gone through hundreds of thousands of coins. Yes I agreed to debris filled dies are found quite often. But certain ones do not come up that regularly. My question is what is considered a rarity. And yes the 1955 double die is a rarity. And I'm sure you would not call this common. But yet there is a multitude of double dies being found. But when you find a coin. Such is the ops. Though filled dies are found quite often. But how many are found with the missing T.Missing T the few the proud, not common in my eyes. Elusive hard to find.USMC60

10. LW5628

LW5628 New Member

I have 3 Kansas in God we rust..Lol maybe I should play the lottery..JK I figured it was common to happen I've just come across so many fake and altered coins that I needed a second opinion. I don't shop on eBay so I guess I'm safe. I've got hundreds of coins I'm stuck on and find nothing on the internet about..This forum has always been a great way to learn new things

11. LW5628

LW5628 New Member

I have an extra if you want?

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Young lady that is a very kind and generous offer. But I have to respectfully decline. In coin hunting it's the hunt. Remember back when you first found your first one missing T. The feeling you had. It's just not the same When someone gives you one. But it is a very gracious and generous offer. But just like in my thread.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pick-the-best-dump-the-rest.276143/
    You'll put a couple back in circulation and I may come across them down the line.It seems my experience on CT, has shown me a lot of collectors don't even bother with these coins. And they just put them back into circulation when they come across them. That benefits others like myself that do collect these. So again thank you for your generous offer. USMC60

LW5628 likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nothing wrong with collecting them. I save them when I get one, but as stated above, minor filled die errors like this are considered common. They are not worth any additional premium over the value of the coin.

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Let me just say welcome. You're absolutely right about the value. Rule of thumb a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. And I don't know about using the word common. I prefer to say there are a few out there. When you will use the word common. A lot of cases In coins it does not apply. Because actually there may be quite a few out there. I wouldn't want the odds in Vegas on finding one. Common is like going to McDonald's and expecting to buy a big Mac that's common. You know if you go to McDonald's you're gonna be able to get a big Mac. When you open 50 rolls of coins and you do not come across one of these filled dies. It's kinda hard for me to use the word common when describing a field die.Though in the coin world common is use quite often.I should say miss use.Again welcome and thank you for your reply. USMC60

LW5628 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted