Great Britain (Chichester, Sussex): copper Conder token ("Chichester Halfpenny"), 1794

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 23, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this item, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 9

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. 8

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great Britain (Chichester, Sussex): copper Conder token ("Chichester Halfpenny"), 1794
    QE1Conder-frame.png
    Obverse: facing bust of Queen Elizabeth I with crown and scepter.
    Reverse: view of Chichester Market Cross, date in exergue.
    Issuer: Dally & Sons, drapers in Chichester, West Sussex, England.
    Specifications: Copper, 28.4 mm, 10.4 g approx. Edge inscription: PAYABLE AT DALLYS CHICHESTER.
    Grade: PCGS MS63 BN, cert. #37057794.
    Reference: PCGS-524578, Numista 23485,
    D&H 15 Sussex, Chichester.
    Provenance: ex-VDB Coins, USA, 12 May 2020.*
    Notes: the wide variety of British trade tokens of the late 18th century are referred to as Conder tokens, after James Conder, who was the first to catalog them in 1798. Like the issuers of this token, Conder was a draper, and issued a halfpenny token himself in 1794. By a curious numismatic coincidence, a 900-year-0ld Anglo-Saxon treasure hoard was found ten feet beneath the doorstep of his house in 1863, when it was demolished forty years after his death. Despite the fact that he was a numismatist, Conder had no idea he was living on top of a buried coin hoard! Conder tokens have been extremely popular with collectors since their own time, which is why many (like this one) survive in pristine Mint State. The designs on them run the gamut from beautiful to bizarre, and they are quite an appealing and interesting series.
    Comments: I have always liked this type since owning a holed piece on my old "Holey Coin Vest" in the past. (Also- note that the token type is spelled "Conder", with an "e", and not "Condor"- the latter spelling is the bird. Such misspellings are frequent.)

QE1Conder-frame.png

QE1Conder-TrueView.jpg

QE1Conder-black.png

QE1Conder-gradient.png

QE1Conder-white.png

QE1Conder-slab.jpg

025000S

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I went with 8 ....attractive overall with pleasant color.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice toning, and I like the Elizabeth portrait. Interesting that I was looking at a few Conder tokens yesterday, and here is a very nice one!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

As conder tokens go it is very exceptional.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Very nice Token, I think it's the best looking Chichester Token I've ever seen! :cigar: I love Conder Tokens but mainly just to look at from afar, as the one's I truly admire costs way too much money for my budget! :D

ZoidMeister and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Beautiful token, rich in detail and eye appeal. I am attracted to them also after buying this from London a few years back. Clifford's Tower.jpg
    1795 Yorkshire, York, Halfpenny Conder Token, D&H 63
    O:View of a cathedral. Ex : YORK . 1795.
    R: View of a castle and drawbridge. CLIFFORD'S TOWER A.D. 1100.
    E: YORK BUILT A. M . 1223. CATHEDRAL REBUILT A.D. 1075.
    Dalton & Hamer as Yorkshire 63, 9.6gm, 27mm.
    Extremely Fine (Sheldon AU58).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

9. What an incredible and intimidating figure! Beautiful QE token.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Slightly confused, wasn't George III king in 1794?

10. lordmarcovan

Yes, but remember, this was a privately issued token and not a coin, so they put all kinds of stuff on them... And I do mean all kinds of stuff! (Druids, ships, shoes, castles and cathedrals and buildings and all kinds of products and critters and birds, crazy caricatures- you name it!)

In this particular case, a picture of "Good Queen Bess" (QE1) - and why not? Plus the local landmark for Chichester, which is still there today.

[​IMG]

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Great type. Atlas Numismatics had a lovely prooflike example a while back, as I recall, and it was one of four or five I had bookmarked for "One day, when I'm ready to spend the money". (Can't find the bookmark now- I'm pretty sure they sold the token. It was an absolute stunner. But Atlas is like Eyecandy Central, y'know.)

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Kind of thought that, but had to ask...

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted