England: silver sixpence of Elizabeth I, 1575, Tower mint, eglantine mintmark

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 14, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. 9

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. 8

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. 7

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

England: silver sixpence of Elizabeth I, 1575, Tower mint, eglantine mintmark
    01-Lizzie-frame.png
    Obverse: Crowned bust left; Tudor rose to right.
    Reverse: Coat of arms over long cross fourchée.
    Issuer: Elizabeth I, Tudor Queen of England (1558-1603).
    Specifications: Silver sixpence , 24.5 mm approx., 3.07 g, 12h. Tower mint, London (eglantine mintmark).
    Grade: PCGS VF35; cert. #37529047.
    Reference:
    PCGS-517136, Numista-52475, BCW EG-2/EWG-f; North 1997; SCBC 2563.*
    Provenance: ex-Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 446, 19 June 2019, with notation "From the WCN Collection. Ex Spink 199 (25 June 2009), lot 491 (part of)."*
    Notes: the storied Elizabethan era is one of the most colorful periods in world history, when England (not yet Great Britain, despite how PCGS labeled the slab) was just beginning to become a world power.
    Comments: I had been wanting an Elizabeth I halfgroat or sixpence with a date on it for some time (Elizabethan shillings were undated). I also wanted a particular look, with greyish contrasting toning and a decent portrait, and had little success in finding one that was just right, at the right price, until this one came along.

01-Lizzie-frame.png 02-Lizzie-TrueView.png 03-Lizzie-black.png 04-Lizzie-gradient.png 05-Lizzie-white.png 06-Lizzie-obv.png 07-Lizzie-rev.png 08-Lizzie-slab.png

027000S

longshot, goossen, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Thanks for sharing. The portrait is pleasing to me. I'm lucky enough to have an Elizabeth I crown, but the portrait is quite worn. I'm still looking for a nice Elizabeth portrait on any denomination.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I'll say! Those don't come cheap.

5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice coin, with good details.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

My Elizabeth sixpence is not in as good shape as lordmarcovan's:

[​IMG]
    England Silver Sixpence 1561 Elizabeth I

Obverse: Crowned bust of Elizabeth facing left with a rose behind her head
    Text: ELIZABETH D G ANG FR ET HI REGINA
    (Elizabeth by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, Queen)
    Reverse: Shield with arms (lions and fleurs-de-lis) and long cross
    Text: POSVI DEV ADIVTOREM MEV (I have made God my Helper)
    Tower Mint mintmark, a downward arrow on obverse at top right
    Size: 27 mm, weight: 2.75 gm

I bought my coin as one Elizabeth sixpence has a very peculiar connection to California as the English sea captain Francis Drake supposedly left one in Northern California during his 1579 stop there.

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/olo...a-sir-francis-drake-elizabeth-sixpence.279087

:)

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is a very attractive example for the grade. I have a couple of these coins. The biggest problem I have seen in them has been die sinking which causes the fields to bulge and the portrait to lose a lot of detail.

This one is dated 1600, but it's also an overdate. I think that it is 1600 over 1590 which is quite a date gap for an overdate.

1600 Elizabeth 6d O.jpg 1600 Elizabeth 6d R.jpg 1600 Elizabeth 6d R Date.jpg

I spotted this raw one a couple of years later, which I like more.

1592 Six Pence O.jpg 1592 Six Pence R.jpg

8. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

It's so hard to get one with a vaguely acceptable portrait, so you've done well.

What I like about Elizabeth's coins are the strange denominations. There's a three halfpence (the only others being for William IV and Victoria, and those were for Ceylon), and this, the three farthings (S. 2571), used to give change for things that cost a farthing, so you didn't have to cut the penny up:

upload_2020-7-5_2-25-26.png

They didn't produce farthings because a silver coin would've been too small (the three farthings is only 13mm and 0.39g), and they didn't want to stoop so low as to mint copper coins. This policy also resulted in my lightest coin, the silver halfpenny (1582-4, 9mm, 0.24g, S. 2581):

upload_2020-7-5_2-45-29.png upload_2020-7-5_2-45-49.png

That problem was remedied under the next monarch, James I (who'd issued copper in Scotland), when they let private companies do the dirty work.

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The highest one I've given for your coins yet. Lovely piece of history!

10. robp

robp Well-Known Member

The dies were made with a stock built up in advance. What you have there is a die originally with 159 as the date. Normally the last digit or last two digits were added when the die was actually used. In this instance the century changed, so it was necessary to change both second and third digits before adding the fourth. Although they would have avoided this extra work if possible, the amount of silver coming to the mint leading up to and at the turn of the century was much reduced, leaving anchor and cypher as the two scarcest marks.

There might be a trace of an anchor underneath the cypher on the reverse as the area around top of it has a slight disturbance, in which case the die was used during anchor (1598-1600) and then the anchor overstruck with a cypher following the pyx trial, in order to maximise the life of the die. The obverse certainly looks to be cypher over anchor.

John Conduitt and johnmilton like this.
  11. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Care to share?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

As a collector, new to Great Britain’s coinage, I find it a solid 10! Eventually, I hope to move to older UK coinage. It is a beautiful example!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Yes Britain has an interesting and varied coinage. The phases are all very different - the Celts, Romans, Saxons, medieval hammered coins, modern hammered coins (like Elizabeth I, despite being nearly 500 years old), early milled coins, England-Scotland-Ireland-UK... and in all of them you can get good quality and historic coins for under $150 (although less so the Saxons!)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent coin My Lord

Here's my own sixpence

[​IMG]

Q

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

(Belated reply)

Does anyone have a 1565 Lizzie, of any denomination? That's the date I wanted.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

englands2556.jpg

A groat or fourpence from 1582 based on the martlet MM. I purchased this for something like £5 or something years ago.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

You absolutely robbed someone, if that was any time in the last few decades! ;)

Handsome piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted