My "Holey Coin Vest" and "Holey Gold Hat"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 22, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Some folks had asked for pictures of my old Holey Coin ensemble, and I couldn't find them. Thought them lost for good, but then I discovered I had some saved in my old gallery at the FORVM Ancient Coins boards. So here they are.

LM_biggrin.gif

2023 edit: the old links to stupid Photobucket all died. Scroll down the page for the some of the individual coin pictures.

Holey Coin Vest I, circa 2000. (At the NCNA show in Cary, NC.)
    001-Holey_Coin_Vest_I.jpg

Holey Coin Vest II, circa 2004. (Old tabby ruins at Retreat Plantation, St. Simons Island, GA in the background.)
    002-HCV2.jpg

The Holey Gold Hat, circa 2010 or thereabouts. (In its better days, before I sold all the gold during lean times in the Recession.)
    003-HGH.jpg

Holey Coin Hat II (no gold), January 2023 (Hangin' with Ben at the Orlando FUN show).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Very cool.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding and posting those, Rob. I can see how that ensemble would be an attention grabber at coin shows.

You've cleared up one misconception on my part: probably due to my predilection for world coins, I had assumed they were coins minted with holes, but that's obviously not the case.

By the way, interesting use of fish hook swivels!

lordmarcovan, Eaglefawn and Amos 811 like this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

You, good sir, walk a very fine line between "too much free time" and "just very, very committed to this hobby" :)

6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Always interesting to see your creations.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Who messed up that beautiful 1861 half?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy those pictures bring back memories !! :)

spirityoda, lordmarcovan and ldhair like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

It was indeed an attention-grabber at shows, and the only time in my life I've been a flamboyant extrovert (Internet excluded). It was pictured in Numismatic News and some of the other hobby publications.

Nope, I only adopted "wounded" coins, not ones made with holes. Center holes are harder to hang coins from, and besides, I'd have had 300 pounds of Chinese cash and other stuff if I had collected mintmade holeys. And "wounded" coins are damaged goods, so few other people wanted them. That kept them quite affordable (though the gold was still gold, of course. I paid $350 for the Eliasberg Zeno solidus and the $3 piece was $160. I paid $100 for the UNC-details Flying Eagle cent holey.)

The "holey coin garment" idea was not original to me, but I did pioneer the fishing swivel method. That not only made it easier to add or remove coins with no additional sewing hassles, but it also allowed 'em to flip around and show alternate sides, which a sewed-on coin won't do.

Guilty as charged, on both counts. But aren't so many of us?

Someone long dead, no doubt. I never "made my own" holes. They were always 100+ year old holes, with only a few exceptions: I did drill out an ugly lead solder plug from the 1856-S quarter eagle, and one or two large cents on the back had had partial holes that I "fixed" so they went all the way through. (I forgot to mention: the back side of the vest was a date set of holey large cents lacking only three dates in the 1790s and the 1804). Also, if you look in the US coin album you will see

[edit: nope, sorry, the gallery links in the first post are all bad now. Thanks for nothing, stupid Photobucket! Grrr.]

that the vest had six buttons made from old Shield nickels and Flying Eagle cents. I did drill those. They were nasty culls a detecting buddy had dug, so I put them through a rock tumbler and then drilled the center holes. (Shame on me for that, but if you had seen 'em before the treatment, they were pretty much slugs anyway.)

Indeed they do, sir. Indeed they do. For me as well. :happy:

Cliff Reuter and Pellinore like this.
  10. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I imagine you have to be very careful where you place that hat.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Not any more. Now it's just an empty hat with some little semiprecious stone "dangles" on it, and empty fishing swivels. But I just started setting aside some cool holey love tokens and WW1 trench art pieces, to rejuvenate it. It won't see gold again, most likely (I put my collecting funds into my "Box of 20", and can't afford to stray from that much), but I've done two love token collections now and really like them. And they're affordable. The Love Token Society is the first specialized numismatic organization I've joined.

More on that later, as I get pictures made of the love tokens that will become part of "Holey Coin Hat II".

Blissskr, Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

You are a super entertaining and original character!

Keep the good stuff coming, whether old or new.

:)

Cliff Reuter and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

It just dawned on me that I did not have this coin in my album of gold from the hat.

It was the very centerpiece of the "Holey Gold Hat" collection, in fact.

Zeno (emperor of the East, A.D. 476-491). AV Solidus. Thessalonica, A.D. 476 or later.

Pedigreed to the famous Louis E. Eliasberg Collection.

RIC 941. Metcalf 223. Choice VF. 4.27 grams, 20.40 mm. Obv Helmeted, cuirassed bust three-quarters facing of Zeno, holding spear and decorated shield. Rev Victory standing l., holding long cross, two stars in field. A scarcer issue. Scratched in right obverse field and holed, otherwise Choice VF.

[​IMG]

(This must have been a "junkbox" item for the likes of Eliasberg. Haha.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  14. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

That's a pretty nice holey coin!

I just noticed your post about a 'holey love token hat'---that'll be cool! I keep hearing Burt Ward's voice saying "Holey Love Token Batman" which is a bit distracting however.

I wish I could look at your album--the photobucket popups are getting worse and worse...counted about 5 + other ads before I closed it down (and my laptop processor started going nuts). Any chance you can salvage your photos off the bucket and try collective coin?

Sadly the bucket also downgraded photo quality (I have a dog message board friend who had used them as primary storage and when she lost all her photos she was horrified that her back ups on the bucket were such poor quality...she was heartbroken).

15. lordmarcovan

Cathy - Thanks! Yes, Photobucket has gone off the rails, and become utter garbage. I once might have given them a small fee to continue the service but there is no chance of that now. I resent being extorted and simply don't trust them. They have the worst, most obnoxious kinds of ads now, and I'll be danged if I give them one red cent! It doesn't help that I paid to go "ad free" one time a year or two ago and they only took down some of the ads. But that was before they lost their blinkin' minds and went into complete "ad assault" mode!

To the devil with them, I say. I'm gradually working on "lifeboating" my pictures to other sites - here and collectivecoin. Thank goodness the latter survived its crisis!

Cliff Reuter and baseball21 like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Let's rescue some of the pictures from the burning Photobucket shipwreck.

First, from the Holey Gold Hat album:

Byzantine Empire: gold solidus of the Eastern emperor Zeno ca. 476-491 AD
    (Ex- Louis E. Eliasberg, mentioned above in Post #12)

[​IMG]

Turkey, gold zeri mahbub of Sultan Selim III, AH 1203, regnal year 4 (ca. 1793-1794 AD)[​IMG]

Colombia (Spanish Colonial): gold escudo, 1798
    [​IMG]

Canada (Newfoundland): gold 2 dollars, 1881
    [​IMG]

Great Britain: "Spade" type half-guinea, 1789
    [​IMG]

Netherlands: gold ducat, 1830
    [​IMG]

United States: Type 3 gold dollar, 1889
    [​IMG]

United States: Classic Head type quarter-eagle ($2.50), 1834 (plain 4)
    [​IMG]

United States: Liberty Head type quarter-eagle ($2.50), 1856-S
    [​IMG]

United States: gold "Indian Princess" 3 dollars, 1860
    (There were tantalizing traces of an obliterated counterstamp on the obverse of this one. Sadly, I could never make it out. Looks like it began with "R R".)
    [​IMG]

United States (California): gold fractional 1/4 dollar, round Liberty head, 1870
    [​IMG]

United States (California): gold fractional 1/2 dollar, octagonal Liberty head, 187(2?)
    [​IMG]

(There were a few more gold coins on the hat- a couple of gold dollars and such - but alas, the photos of them have gone missing.)

17. lordmarcovan

Holey World coins from the front of the Holey Coin Vest

(In alphabetical order by country)

Austria: silver 10-kreuzer, 1770-A
    [​IMG]

Austria: silver florin, 1875

[​IMG]

Austrian Netherlands: silver kronenthaler, 1797
    [​IMG]

Bermuda: copper penny, 1793
    [​IMG]

Brazil: copper 20-reis, 1820/9
    (note the crazily prominent overdate)
    [​IMG]

Brazil: copper 40 reis, 1822
    [​IMG]

Brazil: silver 960 reis, 1814
    (overstruck on a Spanish milled dollar, as most if not all of these were)
    [​IMG]

Medieval Bulgaria: hammered silver coin
    (I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten the attribution- it was a gift from a Collectors Universe member in Bulgaria)
    Medieval Bulgarian AR.png

Byzantine Empire: bronze follis
    (Again, I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten the attribution here. 6th? 7th? century, I believe? I think I see the name "Justinian" in the legends, but which one? Anyway, I picked up this magnificent monstrosity at a coin show for a measly 20 bucks and hung it on my vest on the spot. Loved its sheer size.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canada: bronze large cent, 1859
    [​IMG]

Canada: silver 5 cents, 1870
    [​IMG]

Canada: silver 20 cent piece, 1858
    (a popular one-year type)
    [​IMG]
    Canada: silver 50 cents, 1870
    [​IMG]

Canada: silver 50 cents, 1872-H
    [​IMG]

Canada (Upper Canada): copper penny bank token, 1850
    [​IMG]

Canada: copper or brass(?) halfpenny token, 1812
    ("slotted for use in wampum", I was told)
    [​IMG]

Canada (maybe Ireland, but I think Canada?): copper or brass(?) token, 1820
    (I believe this and the piece above might be so-called "blacksmith tokens", but as you can see, I'm pretty clueless about them.)
    [​IMG]

Canada (Lower Canada/Montreal): copper "bouquet sou" token, ca. 1837
    [​IMG]

Canada (Montreal): copper penny bank token, 1842
    [​IMG]

Canada (New Brunswick): copper penny token, 1843
    [​IMG]

(To be continued in the next post...)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Very neat mix of coins. Have you ever had to get any of your holey coins reinforced so the hole doesn't "break?"

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Holey World coins from the front of the Holey Coin Vest (continued)

Canada (Nova Scotia): bronze cent, 1861
    [​IMG]

Central American Republic: silver real, 1824
    [​IMG]

France: silver 5 francs, 1810-A
    [​IMG]

France: silver 5 francs, 1827-W
    [​IMG]

France: silver 5 francs, 1848-A
    [​IMG]

German States (Brunswick-Luneberg): silver 4 mariengroschen, 1783
    [​IMG]

German States (Brunswick-Luneberg): silver 24 mariengroschen, 1789
    [​IMG]
    German States (Hildesheim): silver 24 mariengroschen, 1687

(A kind gift from Collectors Universe member "Udo", as I recall. Nice big coin.)
    [​IMG]

German States (Nurnberg): silver ducat klippe, 1650
    (This was one of my favorite nongold holeys, for reasons you can likely imagine. The little boy with the stick horse? The square shape? Irresistible.)
    [​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver halfgroat (2 pence), 1676
    [​IMG]

Great Britain: copper halfpenny, 1731
    (Note the old "square" nail hole.)

[​IMG]

Great Britain: copper "Cartwheel" type penny, 1797
    (The first coins struck with steam power. Great chunky things, as many of you know. Especially the 2d pieces.)

[​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver halfgroat, 157(2?)
    (That would be Elizabeth I on the obverse, but her portrait's gone, as so often happened with these)
    [​IMG]

Great Britain: silver sixpence, 1787
    (I had another one of these on the Holey Coin Vest that had been gilded.)
    [​IMG]

Great Britain: silver sixpence, 1787
    (This one had been gilded, though it's not very "goldy" looking in the photos.)

[​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver 4 pence (groat), 1688
    [​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver crown, 1662

[​IMG]

Great Britain: copper "Chichester halfpenny" Conder token featuring Elizabeth I, 1794
    [​IMG]

Great Britain: brass gaming counter imitating a "Spade" type guinea, "1788" (actually ca. early 19th century)
    (To see a real Spade (half-) guinea of the period, scroll back up to the post above with the gold coins.)
    [​IMG]

(Continued below...)

20. lordmarcovan

I thought about it, with a few of the tiny California gold fractionals. I had one with only a thread-thin bit of metal closing the hole. But no, I never did any "work" like that, except for drilling a (crude and nasty, blackish-looking) plug out of the 1856-S USA quarter-eagle above. Otherwise, all the holes and mounts were original.

Where was I? Oh, yes. Somewhere around France when we posted these replies...

Continuing, now...

21. lordmarcovan

Holey World coins from the front of the Holey Coin Vest (continued)

Greece: silver 1/2 drachma, 1855
    [​IMG]

Guatemala (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales, 1800
    [​IMG]

Haiti: 25 centimes, L'An 1(-?)

(An early Haitian silver piece from the first decade or so of the 1800s, dated by their revolutionary calendar. The last digit of the date is not clear.)
    [​IMG]

Hungary: silver 15 kreuzer, 1744-KB
    [​IMG]

India (British): silver 2 annas, 1882
    [​IMG]

India (British/East India Company): silver 1/4 rupee, 1840
    [​IMG]

Ireland: copper halfpenny of William & Mary, 1693
    [​IMG]

Italy: silver 5 lire, 1871
    [​IMG]

Italy (Napoleonic): silver 10 soldi, 1812

[​IMG]

Jersey: copper 1/13 shilling, 1841

("One-thirteenth of a shilling" has to be one of the more bizarre denominations out there. Can't believe it took the Brits until 1971 to implement a decimal currency.)
    [​IMG]

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver half-real, 1753-Mo
    Pillar of Hercules type. Mexico City mint.
    [​IMG]

Mexico: silver 8 reales, 1844-Zs

Zacatecas mint.
    [​IMG]

Netherlands (Utrecht): copper duit, 1786
    [​IMG]

Netherlands (Zeeland): silver 6 stuivers, 1793
    [​IMG]

Poland: silver ort (1/4 thaler), 1621
    [​IMG]

Portugal: silver 200 reis, 1748

(A fairly basic design, but handsome coins, in my opinion.)
    [​IMG]

Puerto Rico (Spanish rule): silver 20 centavos, 1895-PG-V
    (All Puerto Rican coins are relatively scarce. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they finally got around to listing these in the "Red Book" of United States coins now, since Puerto Rico is a US Territory? Hawaiian and Philippine coins have been listed for some time.)
    [​IMG]

Russia: silver rouble, 1842-CлБ
    [​IMG]

(Here I lament the loss of the picture of my holey 1791 Sierra Leone dollar, if not the coin itself. As I recall, it was maybe a G-VG-details piece- holed, of course. But quite a rare coin!)

Switzerland: copper-nickel 5 rappen, 1894-B
    This was the very first "holey" coin I added to the Holey Coin Vest collection.
    [​IMG]

Well, that about wraps up all of the (still-existent) photos of the World coins on the front of the Holey Coin Vest. That's just one side of the front of the vest! The other half of the front side was US coins, which I'll post later...

Edit: nope, sorry, looks like I never got around to doing that, and all those pics were forever lost when stinkin’ Photobucket struck an iceberg and sank. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted